New Year 2010-your hopes for this year!

Speak-Ez Community

New Year 2010-your hopes for this year!

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:56 pm

Now that the adrenaline rush that was New Year's Eve is over and the first day of the year is here (or just passed), we all are in a reflective mood. Are there any goals from last year that you will carry over into this year to see more progress on? Have you new hopes for your life this year? Ambitious, hot-air balloon hopes for 2010/mild ones/quiet ones-let's give the New Year some discussion time.

[Aside: 2010: Odyssey Two is also the title of the book sequel to Arthur C. Clarke's 2001: A Space Odyssey story (part of a trilogy).]

2010 signals the start of the Tens, as we said "goodbye" to the Noughties (Zeroes would have been easier to say). MMX in Roman Numerals.

My beginner list of hopes for 2010:
-a decent winter, not too wet, not too cold, just right with snow during the season (not afterwards in spring!)
-seeing friends this year who I have not seen in years and communication with through the year, not just in December
-employment options allowing for balance in money matters/work life/personal life/educational pursuits
-figuring out energy use strategies prior to the implementation of time-of-billing electric rates this spring/summer, unless a major lottery win renders the exercise unnecessary. Still, the rate increase for power use during waking hours is a cash grab. And the initiators of the plan use plenty of computers and lights and televisions themselves--what is their hourly electric rate per hour?
-that Women's Hockey at the 2010 Winter Games develops big ratings amongst viewers
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Re: New Year 2010-your hopes for this year!

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:41 pm

Their 2010 wish list
Here's what Toronto newsmakers are hoping for in the coming year

Last Updated: 1st January 2010, 8:36am
The Toronto Sun asked newsmakers, sports figures and politicians what they're wishing for in 2010.

Toronto Councillor Rob Ford

"I want a new mayor and a new city council. I want 30 new fiscally responsible councillors."

Maple Leafs forward Matt Stajan

"The Leafs to make the playoffs." http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2010/01/01/12318081-sun.html

Ambitious hopes from two politicians:
Liberal MP Jim Karygiannis

"My wish for the next decade and 2010, in particular, is for an end to sectarian violence in all its forms so that people around the world can live and worship in peace. I also wish that those who suffered the loss of a job due to the economic disaster of 2009, find new and fulfilling employment and are able to provide for their families. Another wish is for world leaders to come to grips with destruction of our environment and help prevent some of the natural disasters which we faced in the first decade of this century."

Toronto Councillor Giorgio Mammoliti

"I'd like to see the good people pack their bags and come back to the city and I'd like to see the bad people pack their bags and leave the city."
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby guitarblues on Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:57 pm

How about surprising top three finishers in the FIFA soccer event later this year?

Rain for spring planting and sun as needed to help plants/trees/bees get their cycles going. Good food crops and flower crops for the farmers.

A reality check to world leaders thinking that more taxes (new ones too, like climate change) is what their citizens want for 2010. It's the economy, leaders, and the need for basics plus some more to get people to stay hopeful.

Gas prices to drop down. Enough of the high prices.

Must think some more about hopes. Useful idea to rummage in my thoughts for this thread.
You'll be smiling if you sing some songs.
guitarblues

Postby manga2read on Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:27 am

-plenty of new manga/graphic novels to read but not the usual teen romance stuff. It's ok for a few stories but gets stale quickly. Same goes for teens without parents around much in the stories.

-a wide range of CDs to add to my collection. Bonus if international artists outside of North America come over to perform on prime time shows or specials, not just do the small club tour scene. (And may all versions of the Idol shows kick the bucket ASAP-make this the last season for them!)

-news that Jay-Z and Beyonce and similar artists decide to leave the entertainment scene. Over-exposure is knocking on their doors. Inspiration ought to get entertainment show hosts to look in their local areas to promote musicians, not the mainstream, record deal signed artists. All that fawning and cooing over the licensed merchandise lines--gasp. :P

-Tiger Woods mans up and speaks to the media this month about the Thanksgiving incident and his extramarital activities--he is so due to explain himself.
a word with you
manga2read

Postby fishandchips on Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:14 pm

A fish and chip platter with sweet potato shoestring fries. Not regular potato fries, as they are not all equally tasty!

Seeing Susan Boyle perform live in Canada would be lovely after the holidays.

Agree with guitar blues-let's have some underdog teams win the top three places in the FIFA cup--sure to spread some joy around.
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby 123duyusee on Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:39 pm

Consolidation of the gossip websites and publications. Many interested parties chasing the same stories and people. That energy could be spared for politics and laws being pushed through by using plain English to get the message out.
The count is in...
123duyusee

Postby manga2read on Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:55 pm

To get more organized:

-having basic mailing supplies in a box and regular place

-figure out what e-mail newsletter lists to stay on and which ones to drop off from

-develop a top ten sites' list (the ones you have to register for) and trim/update according. Clean out email inboxes weekly.

Keep it simple, silly.
a word with you
manga2read

Postby pysanky on Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:47 pm

Be warm to other humans (try to rise past their emotions to see/understand what really is issue)

Ask others for help, even if is hard to ask. Make contact and say.
Happy New Year-2015 now on scene.
pysanky

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:58 pm

That my lavender plants, covered by snow and in the ground, do an amazing show of growing and blooming this spring. At least they looked ok in the ground last August but they did not really do much else (no mass of buds or shoots). It is snowing again outside, so they will be cozy under another layer of snow.

Random sprinkling of flower and herb seeds in open spots in flower beds this spring to yield nice surprise bursts of green or colour. A couple of packets of wildflowers (courtesy of a car manufacturer at the Toronto Auto Show) is going to get put to use when the snow threat seems removed.

Home decor wishes-want some partial attainment of replacing old items with new ones, that won't off-gas too much, and have new prints and colours.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby burnt fare on Wed May 05, 2010 5:54 pm

Environmental cleanup devices for water contamination that will get the job done within 7 days. A topic for the Will It Blend crew, if their company can figure out a way to blend out the oil and other junk of the Louisiana water, gently strain out the fish in a calm water holding area and discharge nice clean water back into the ocean. Potential to generate great publicity for the minds that can do this.

The fish might like to know what the room service menu will offer them if the fish have to be held in the holding area for more than half the day.

All this thinking is just that.
Burger time
burnt fare

Next

Return to Speak-Ez Community