Hot Time In The City Or Countryside

Speak-Ez Community

Hot Time In The City Or Countryside

Postby deja vu on Fri May 04, 2012 2:17 pm

The hot weather is coming and already kids and pets are suffering or dying from the heat. Every summer more die from being left in a car. Even with the windows rolled down for air, the temperature in the car is dangerously high. Pets left in the yard all day can run out of fresh water and no shade to cool off in. It wont hurt to turn on the outside tap just a little and let water keep filling up their bowl.

Enjoy the great weather, but take precautions. Don't forget to keep bottled water and suntan lotion close by and have a safe and enjoyable summer folks.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hot Time In The City Or Countryside

Postby deja vu on Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:56 pm

Labour Day Weekend has arrived.

A fun time, but don't throw your common sense out the window. Enjoy it whether you have a home vacation or hit the open road. Don't drink, text while driving. Your not the only one on the roads and as history shows It just takes one driver error to destroy a lot of other lives.

Stay safe and enjoy.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby smitty on Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:47 pm

deja vu. Mary loves her dog. She found a stray one some yrs back & suddenly she had something better then a divorced husband (three times I will have you know). So she did not turn up at the range for h/gun shooters for around a month. FINALLY she arrived with this lovely Border Collie that we all love. When she parks her truck it is in the shaded area of some trees, windows open & constately she checks to make sure about this dog. Most of us are found parked in the sunshine.

Unfortunately someone notices a child or a dog lock inside a cage (sland word meaning a car or a truck to us m/c riders). All are left wondering about the stupidity of the parents of the child or the pet like a cat or a dog. Mary & I were chatting before she took over as the Range Officer when she saw a box of shotgun shells at the Trap section, so we wanted to see & yes it was 3 not used 12 gauge trap shell loads & Mary had in mind to keep it inside then to offer it to the Trap Chairman.

Only along comes this even younger border Collie & believe me it was putting on all the charm & love of us bulky humans. A bit later we found out the Caretaker had this puppy so back to them & do not let it me wandering around when others were trap shooting, just for its savety. True it would soon become accustomed to shotguns going off, but not the ideal place.
smitty

Postby fishandchips on Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:29 pm

Keeping in mind all the stories about tots or dogs that expire or really come close to it in hot cars, I did report to a store about one car in a parking lot. There were two small dogs in the SUV and after 5min of being in the area, checked to see if someone had gone back to the car. No. Made certain to hike over to the Walmart greeter who got someone to page the driver of the SUV by plate and car description. While no one replied, we happened to look towards the lot and saw a male adult and younger boy near the car. The greeter remembered talking to the man when he came into the store!

Not a dog person myself, so I thought about the basic need for living creatures to have some basic comfort. That evening, it was plenty hot enough still to be uncomfortable in a car without refreshing air. The SUV windows were open a smidge on both sides but the dogs had fur-got to consider what the temperature felt like to them in the car.

I'll keep a mind to say something sooner if I see the same pet situation again.
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby smitty on Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:04 pm

I must admit that quite often when I am at a friend's home they have one large dog that barks a lot warning off anyone that might break in, but then it remembers me. That family keep the dog under control or I drop in for a cup of tea then again this dog tends to obey the rules. They had a larger dog some yrs ago & when outside it just had to pick up an acorn wanting us to throw it & return it. We had to easy off for it was getting to old & the heart did not need to much enthusiasm AND in later years it finally passed away. The one now, simply does not have the good things that the other dog had in being friends to all.

You treat a dog of any size & after a while it thinks more like us humans. I have some good tales on where after a while my parents & I knew just spelling something was enough to have the dog think in a manner of where it HAD BEEN IN THE WRONG.

I think of Roger, the dog Terry lost, that would sit right beside him when he was watching a TV program for it felt more like ANOTHER human.
smitty

Postby deja vu on Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:53 pm

WAKE UP PARENTS AND PET OWNERS!!

We are barely into summer and kids are dying across N. America this season. Either forgotten in the car or a pool with no safety features and a curious child looking to play in the water and parents in the house not watching a young child.

A 3 year old in Edmonton is dead after being left in the car outside her home, an Ontario girl is fighting for her life after being left unattended and falling into the family pool. An Ontario boy died from being left in the car. All within days of each other, but still no one is paying attention.

In the US, 7 kids died from being left in the car in May.

No one is being charged with these crimes and maybe it's about time they were. Letting them off the hook each time because of a so called accident isn't waking them up. More are dying despite the warnings about the dangers so it's time to start charging them, maybe only then will others pay attention and prevent another death instead of waiting until the next one.

The police need to step up to the plate and start holding seminars with parents. It should be mandatory for all that will be in charge of a child. Teach them what can happen, let them see the end results of leaving them in cars or no safety around a pool.

It should be mandatory to have a proper fence and gate around pools and can't buy one without it. Forget waiting for the parents to add it in after the fact, the deaths show they are not doing that.

I just don't get it, what will it take to stop these needless deaths? Maybe this sobering stats page will help. It's from the US
Heatstroke Deaths of kids left in vehicles site.

http://ggweather.com/heat/

Total number of U.S. heatstroke deaths of children left in cars, 2013: 15
Total number of U.S. heatstroke deaths of children left in cars, 2012: 32
Total number of U.S. heatstroke deaths of children left in cars, 1998-present: 575

If you really need to take your pet with you on your outings, then make sure he/she can go in the stores with you. Otherwise why take them for a ride that can lead to death when left in a car? They are just as much at risk at kids, so if you don't need to take them let them stay in the cool of home. More than one has died so far this year and I found it odd that some owners were annoyed when the car was broken into to rescue the animal. The "I was just gone a minute" excuse isn't working yet they keep using it. The car window is more important to them then the animal suffering inside. If you can't take proper care then don't have a pet.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:07 am

A Markham, ON mother was charged for leaving her toddler daughter in a vehicle that was parked at a plaza lot. Police responded to a citizen's call about the toddler and got her out of the vehicle. http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/06/28/mother_charged_with_child_abandonment_after_leaving_toddler_in_car.html

Considering that Boise, Idaho person proved it was hot enough to bake cookie dough over a few hours inside a car with a giant thermometer on display this week...parents need to realize we are bodies of water and little bodies heat up faster than adult bodies.

I'm going to add something about animals-don't let kids or adults torment wildlife even if it's a pigeon. The creatures get hot too and probably want a break from flying away all the time. Let them be. Read a recent story about kids whose parents did nothing to stop a pigeon's wing break and feather loss in a park (the kids were torturing the bird). An adult columnist got involved and the bird was taken to an animal rescue, but the columnist made sure the kids and parents got an earful.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:00 am

The grandmother of the Milton, ON boy who died in a car on a hot day, has been charged on two counts in relation to the death.

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2013/07/05/grandmother_charged_in_milton_toddlers_death.html
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:05 pm

Oakville, Ontario was the location of the latest reported incident of child left in car by an adult. The man responsible was made aware that others knew about the baby when he heard the announcement on the store public address system. He got a strong response by members of the public who were at the car. Now the man has been charged.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/3893887-dad-charged-after-baby-left-in-hot-car-in-oakville-parking-lot/
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby deja vu on Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:48 pm

A 12-year-old Arkansas girl has contracted parasitic meningitis, a rare and deadly disease caused by a brain-eating amoeba, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Arkansas Department of Public Health.

This is the first known case of parasitic meningitis in years, according to Medical Daily. It is caused by the amoeba Naegleria fowleri and is typically found in freshwater or soil. It enters the human body through the nose, where it then moves to the brain, typically causing death.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/07/2 ... latestnews

The Arkansas Department of Health has closed down Willow Springs Water Park in Arkansas, where it is believed that Kali contracted the disease, according to Medical Daily. A case of parasitic meningitis in 2010 was thought to be connected to the same park.

Why didn't they go a step further and fix the problem instead of reopening it. Now a little girl is fighting for her life because the problem was not taken care of. I see a huge lawsuit from this one.

The Owners statement rings hollow because they did nothing the first time and playing catch up now. Sad that a child has to suffer due to the inaction of adults.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Speak-Ez Community