Funny but true stories in the news

In the News

Re: Funny but true stories in the news

Postby deja vu on Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:02 pm

Two drunken university students with a case of the munchies now find themselves facing possible break and enter charges after they stole a bag of barbecue potato chips from a Saanich woman’s garage early Tuesday morning.

The homeowner in the 2900-block of Foul Bay Road was awaken by her Chihuahua barking and growling loudly around 3:15 a.m. She tip-toed to the living room and heard voices in her garage, so she called 9-1-1 to report a break and enter, said Saanich police spokesman Sgt. Dean Jantzen.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/Chihu ... story.html

Lesson learned. Never leave the Garage Door open because you never know who will wander by and steal your chips. The other lesson, don't leave the munchies in the Garage. If it's not someone with a serious case of the munchies, you could be feeding the local wildlife. Once they get a taste of free food, they keep coming back for seconds, thirds, etc.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby smitty on Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:20 pm

Some years ago one of the B.C., University people came up with the ideal system to hault drunks from starting & driving their cars, especially just out of a booze place.

Before the driver even tried his/her ignition key they had to do some combination numbers & if they did not press the correct ones. They would have to wait 20 minutes. Try again & boob on the job to where waiting was now 30 minutes.

Idea was it would take the driving whizz out of a drunk owner.
smitty

Postby deja vu on Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:51 pm

What not to do when your learning how to drive. No one was hurt, but the car may need an overhaul.

Maybe they need to put large labels on the brake and gas pedals so the first time driver isn't confused.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Drivi ... story.html

deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby musicrock on Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:16 pm

This driver decided to get back to nature and then try her hand at golf.
The "blame it on" excuse wont get her out of this mess.

Toronto Star:

Here’s something that sounds more like something from a movie script than a news headline.

46-year-old Massachusetts resident Patricia Malone told police officers “that her GPS had told her to turn left. She stated that this left brought her into a ‘cornfield’ and once she was in the ‘cornfield’ she kept driving trying to get out of her ‘cornfield.’ ” Upon exiting the corn, Malone navigated her Buick onto a golf course, where she launched over a three meter lip, ending up in a sand trap. Investigating officers noted a strong smell of alcohol and discovered a Burger King cup containing an alcoholic beverage.

When she failed a field sobriety test, Malone admitted to having consumed half a liter of vodka before 10 a.m. Being held on a $10,000 cash bail, it sounds like Malone will need more than a sand wedge to get out of this predicament.
musicrock

Postby smitty on Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:23 pm

I should have captured this for other to read or better still. This woman, in the USA, phone 911 as her car was out of control & at times she was up to 150mph. Many suggestions from others, but none seemed to work. True it was on Cruise Control, which seems quite normal to so many.

Finally got it stopped, missing several cars or 18 wheelers she was passing. The claimed the answer to be a lot of pressure on the brakes. Still in mind would not turning the igniton have been the answer or did all have automatic drives & all were one Cruise Control.

True I have a Cruise Contol on my Subaru & tried it off & on form to go back to the throttle along with shifting gears to keeping my eyes on the tach. Basically because I have ridden m/cs since 1946 a cruise control is not normal to me neither is a tachometer for not on British m/cs in the late 40s.

The Ama carb had a bell like intake of air along with dirt to different sizes of small stones SO the bikes had a short life before having to take them all apart & rebuild them again.
smitty

Postby deja vu on Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:40 pm

The picture says it all.

toronto star -
Parallel parking is tricky business, especially on hills. Once you’ve figured out how to stuff your car into a space sideways, you need to angle your tires to keep the car from rolling down the hill when you’ve left it behind.

Whoever was driving this Corolla in San Francisco didn’t do that and the car behind it paid the price, as seen on Jalopnik.com. After a shoddy parking job, this Corolla rolls over and crushes this silver Honda. Remember, when parking downhill, turn your wheels toward the curb. When parking uphill, turn your wheels away from the curb

deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Rhet-or-Ric on Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:52 pm

Something about that picture and the Toronto Star writer linking that to incorrect parking technique doesn't seem to add up when one starts to consider this a little more carefully.

First of all, the angle at which the moving vehicle climbed up and over the parked vehicle doesn't fit with the angle at which those wheels are showing after the movement stopped. I can't figure how the moving vehicle would have made such a wide loop away from the edge of the road. And a modern automobile without a key in the ignition would have the wheels locked, right?

Secondly, wouldn't climbing up and over another vehicle require some sort of power?

Do you have a link to that story?

By the way, it would appear the automobile underneath also has its wheels turned the wrong way.

I wonder if this is some sort of trick by the newspaper editor to see what reader really pays attention to detail.

The Eyes Have It.
Rhet-or-Ric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby deja vu on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:08 pm

The Toronto Star picked up the original story from Wheels.ca. Same text on both sites. Photoshop is a possibility. Here's the link to Wheels.ca -

http://www.wheels.ca/news/how-not-to-pa ... -a-hill-2/
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Rhet-or-Ric on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:25 pm

Thank you for that link.

Now I am going to study the meaning of the word crush.

The Eyes Have It.
Rhet-or-Ric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby smitty on Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:50 pm

Fish N Chips, to an ex fruit orchardist that "tall grass" is what we called weeds & a mower powered by the tractor was neede IF one could wiggle in OTHERWISE a sythe.

Sort of jives with my Late Mother complaining about the weeds or grass around her garden. So hit it like a fruit orchardist AND that is when she complaind I had chopped out all her flowers---how culd I tell flowers apart from weeds???

When we moved to this home, my late Mother would say Bob was a good orchardist, but terrible when it comes to a garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
smitty

PreviousNext

Return to In the News