Daylight Saving Time

In the News

Re: Daylight Saving Time

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:36 pm

Accidents spike when clocks spring ahead
Last Updated: Friday, March 12, 2010 | 12:09 PM ET
CBC News
Daylight time kicks in on Sunday, which not only means later sunsets but more dangerous drivers.

According to Manitoba Public Insurance (MPI), in a five-year period between 2003 and 2008, motor vehicle crashes on the Monday following the time change increase an average of 11 per cent — from 219 to 244 across the province.

Springing our clocks ahead one hour is enough to throw our internal clocks out of whack, said Diana McMillan, a sleep researcher at the University of Manitoba in Winnipeg.

'I actually try, if I possibly can, to stay off the road.'—Diana McMillan, sleep researcher
Consequently, many of us become sleep deprived and when we are overtired our ability to focus and think is impaired, she said. http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2010/03/12/mb-daylight-time-crashes-winnipeg.html
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:09 pm

Honestly this shifting of time two times of the year is a pain in the neck to put it bluntly. I leave the clocks of my m/cs at the normal time for late spring riding. Have to change them in my home plus my wrist watch for I MUST open up the h/gun indoor range on the usual time of around 30 minutes or more before 10:00 am. Also know some members will have forgotten the change & many curse it like I do.

I was on a m/c board when one active regular came up with the change in time & so many complained about the stupidity while one chaps in Hawaiia pointed out they did not change.

No one pointed out about the frequent accidents on Monday though. Mind you some complained about the 2nd clock change of the same year every darn time.
smitty

Postby burnt fare on Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:14 pm

Not great news but consider myself in the know that is must be done. Politicians need to rectify this and stay on standard time.
Burger time
burnt fare

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:19 pm

Oh, time to set everything forward while the idea is on my mind. Then bedtime won't be a problem as time is set already. Spring is 8 days away by the calendar. Must consider getting some seeds...
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby 123duyusee on Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:59 pm

I'm sleeping in tomorrow anyway. Though I will leave a Post-It note by my clock to remind me to check all gadgets and the car dash after breakfast.
The count is in...
123duyusee

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:42 am

Russia eliminates two time zones
By The Associated Press
Last Updated: March 28, 2010 6:56am
MOSCOW — Russia’s president thinks the country had too much time on its hands, so he has eliminated two time zones.

The sprawling country, which takes up about 11 percent of the world’s land mass, used to have 11 time zones, but now has a slightly less-unwieldy nine.

The changes went into effect before dawn Sunday when most of Russia switched to daylight savings time. People in the eliminated time zones didn’t move their clocks an hour ahead.http://www.torontosun.com/news/world/2010/03/28/13383986.html

There will be clocks in Russia that need adjusting if one follows international stock markets, as well as computers and fax machines.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:49 pm

In one week, we will revert back to Standard Time! Happy thoughts but lesser daylight hours.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby guitarblues on Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:48 pm

You're not kidding. With the change of month comes the change of the clock. Getting the marker out now to mark the date and to remember the switcheroo.
You'll be smiling if you sing some songs.
guitarblues

Postby smitty on Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:02 pm

The DST & its fall back will drive me up the wall. For as the Club's h/gun director I am there a bit before 10:00am & will find other stagging in at the wrong time, though at the change again will have them all mixed up. For in truth I am mixed up as well.

When I lived in Saskachewan it just seemed in perfection to me. Also I complained last year over the same.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:26 pm

When software does not know the time switch date, you rise for work very late. Timepieces still have a function--to be set by their owners to the correct times.

iPhone glitch leaves scores late to work
Mon Nov 1, 7:22 AM

Scores of iPhone users were late to work on Monday, after a bug in the software meant the device's alarm clock feature failed to adjust to Daylight Saving Time.

Hundreds of angry comments were posted on the social networking website Twitter about the glitch on the Apple device, which occured even though the rest of the phone's features updated the time automatically.

"Well done Apple - you've made me decide I need to use a proper alarm clock rather than relying on my iPhone," one user tweeted. http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/101101/world/britain_technology_iphone
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

PreviousNext

Return to In the News