Daylight Saving Time

In the News

Re: Daylight Saving Time

Postby fishandchips on Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:43 pm

Glad to back on standard time. I don't know how cellphone users keep on top of their gadgets' clocks. I rely on battery powered clocks then the corded things-tv, stove.

I saw a municipal sign that was several minutes behind-it's one of those electronic signs. Hope a staffer figures out the change before a citizen has to point out the obvious.
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby deja vu on Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:37 pm

The less sleep you got last night, the more likely you are to read stories like “Snooki’s pregnant, astrologer predicts trouble” watch the latest Katy Perry video or read anything all about the Leafs.

This “cyberloafing” at work increased by 3.1 per cent on the Monday after Daylight Saving Time kicks in, found researchers in a study that will be published in the Journal of Applied Psychology.

http://www.thestar.com/business/article ... hians?bn=1

What the ? Very scary thought to say the least. Someone wasted thousands or millions to find this out? I can't believe that some think about these so called celebrities just because they didn't get enough sleep. Didn't their 15 minutes of fame end a long time ago?
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby coffee101 on Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:48 pm

For many Americans, the switch to daylight saving time is an annual rite of exhaustion. Gaining that extra hour of daylight at night means losing it in the morning. The time shift disrupts the body's natural circadian rhythm, according to sleep scientists. So the alarm clock blares just as your internal sleep-wake cycle orders you to stay snugly in bed.

It's always harder to adjust to the "spring ahead" time change (as we did Sunday morning) than to the "fall back" change (on November 4), just as it's harder to fly east than west. Circadian rhythms are likely genetically determined and not fully understood.

http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/ ... odayhealth

I set the clocks and go to bed at the regular time. I usually don't plan to do much the next day so I can adjust quietly. Plus having lots of coffee available may help if you don't get enough sleep.
Conscience keeps more people awake than coffee.
coffee101

Postby smitty on Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:48 pm

I think two members of the h/gun sectioned phoned to let me know THIS WAS SATURDAY so set your watch back an hour. Well I think that is what they said for I am always there early to open up the indoor range.

Must admit I was still convused & wonder if I did what they mentioned. To wake up at 6:00 am to have my snower to b/fast & was at the range one or two hours to early.

Obviously I HATE the Cdn wide canges in time several times a year BAR SASKATCHEWAN that are on the correct track.

I even look at my computer, by turning it on and WONDER if it is that one our change or is it still the time of Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
smitty

Postby manga2read on Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:38 pm

Spring forward and fall back are the terms to make us think which way the clocks move. Yet, I saw "fall back" on a couple of March reminders and thought that proofreaders missed the obvious--spring happens in March.
a word with you
manga2read

Postby smitty on Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:17 pm

Yet manga2read , in this part of Canada Spring is really not till sometime after March & especially for some of us that ride m/cs.

Mind you I saw an idiot on a m/c sometime this morning. Conditions were TERRIBLE with slippery roads, even slippery for anyone walking in Penticton city.

This has to be one of those with the one run from Kelowna to Penticton for a beer then back to Kelowna again. THOSE I do not understand for my riding is 5+ tp 7+ hrs over one of the passes to some town & back home again. NEVER like that rider to-day & I was thankfull I was driving with an all wheel drive vehicle plus snow tyres so had decent traction.
smitty

Postby smitty on Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:27 pm

Having gone through the mess as mentioned in above post is knowing in a while it will be the opposit way, SO have to wonder if I will be as mixed up as the last one in going back an hour FOR this on is going ahead an hour.

Why rest of Canada does not stick with the thinking of the Province of Saskatchewan to even some States of the USA, I really do not know?????
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:32 pm

For all the Premiers to agree to something like time-would the Premiers realize that citizens want standard time year round over the objections of businesses wanting to be synchronized with their US counterparts in the same time zones?

Actually, do people in the US even want daylight saving time?

I think the construction industry would like to keep DST because in many cities/municipalities, there are bylaws on the earliest time allowed for the start of construction work. 7:00 am might be a couple of hours warm in late March on standard time and construction site supervisors might be wishing to have started earlier when the sun began to light the sky.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby deja vu on Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:15 pm

It's time for the fall back in some parts of the world this weekend. I only have a watch and microwave to worry about so it will be a fast change over.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby manga2read on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:38 pm

Computers take care of themselves but fax machines and copiers don't-always check the date, even on Feb. 29 or you'll be surprised. Sleeping in will be so worthwhile on Sunday! Party's on for standard time-fall back an hour, bliss...

Have wall clocks, watches, stove clock, HD unit, and tv to move back--always do it around 9pm Saturday then it's done before I'm too tired to care about changing time.
a word with you
manga2read

PreviousNext

Return to In the News