Daylight Saving Time

In the News

Re: Daylight Saving Time

Postby deja vu on Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:23 pm

Does anyone really wake up or stay up until 2am to change the clocks? I'm doing it before I go to bed, but l will be happy to
see the end of Daylight Savings Time.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... -2015.html

During the nine years he spent as American ambassador to France, Benjamin Franklin wrote an essay called "An Economical Project for Diminishing the Cost of Light". In it, he suggested people get up earlier to make better use of available light and save on candle wax.

But the idea really took off in 1907, when a man called William Willett introduced the idea of British Summer Time, also known as Daylight Saving Time, in 1907. He wanted to prevent people from wasting valuable hours of light during summer mornings.

dreamon -

Change.org has been busy with so many Canadian petitions since our election started and now finished and DST is the latest one to sign up and with enough signatures, perhaps Trudeau will let the rest stay in line with Saskatchewan.

The local and national news have mentioned it a few times, and I decided to sign it.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CielOnTap on Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:23 pm

Clocks go forward one hour for Daylight Savings Time at 2am on March 14, 2016 in North America (almost all places will make the switch).

Scientists have research indicating the change forward can be connected to cardiac incidents as a result.
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/study-daylight-saving-time-increases-the-risk-of-stroke/64647/

It's well worth one's coffee break time to take pen and paper and decide what spring work can be done in the days prior to the clock shift, so as to have
a more relaxed Day 1 of DST and keep one's heart happy. Remember, always have something to eat or drink prior to doing any lifting when you get up from sleep. Heart needs energy so you don't risk that cardiac incident!
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:12 pm

In Canada, each province or territory's government makes the decision on what time applies to its area. Or whether to follow Daylight Savings Time (DST)
to stay in step with US neighbours in the same time zone that use Daylight Savings Time.

In British Columbia, there's a petition by citizens to end DST in the province.
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/thousands-of-bc-residents-sign-petition-to-end-time-change/59220/

In Ontario, the argument was made some years ago to stay on DST for Canada-US trade and business reasons. Otherwise business hours would not line up and
add some aggravation to doing business across the national border.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby yukon on Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:06 pm

I hope my fellow BC'ers get what we wish for, and sooner rather than later.

NO more DST.
The Moose sees all, hears all, knows it all. Listen to your
local moose, Folks!
yukon

Postby deja vu on Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:41 pm

I always do it earlier in the evening, and the comp/tv will take care of itself. No way I am waking up at 2am to change the clocks.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby rocks on Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:02 pm

It's that time of year again.

Clocks go back on Nov.6th. It ends on March 12, 2017.
Thinking outside of the BOX - what BOX?
rocks

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:47 pm

One more week to finish off fall cleaning, check batteries in alarms & detectors and maybe flashlights too.
Then someone has to ensure all the clocks in a residence are turned back on appliances. Everyone has
deal with their own electronic gadgets-some of which can remind you (i.e. computer) that a time
change is about to occur.

Then the early risers have to deal with more night than day.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby deja vu on Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:29 pm

Time to set the clocks back this weekend.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/end-of-d ... -1.3144449

deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:10 pm

Glad to return to Standard Time (Eastern) this morning. I usually try to change the clocks after 8pm the night before so
there is no late-night fuss or sleepy-eyed straining to see the hands or numbers.

Bright day called for long walks to clear any cobwebs in the mind and to provide that real-life interacting with Nature experience. I even saw a cat on my
walk. It seemed unsure of me but then stayed to meow at me. I don't know how it greeted the minature pinscher pup that came with other humans later.

How to deal with longer periods of darkness until we get past Dec. 21? Writing/journaling helps to make time pass. Try to keep hydrated and to eat protein at regular intervals. Never do heavy lifting without having a few bites of food to feed the heart/warm you up first. Plan time to plan activities to help run the home, get supplies, keep in touch with others, and help your community. Pets and people need stimulation so circulate and be there for them. You will all feel better for the regular contact and time together.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby deja vu on Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:12 pm

For Canada, SPRING AHEAD is on Sunday March 12th. I make the change on Saturday night.

To see when your country changes, here is the link to check for the information -

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst/2017.html
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to In the News