Massive Earthquake in Christchurch, New Zealand

In the News

Re: Massive Earthquake in Christchurch, New Zealand

Postby deja vu on Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:02 pm

Christchurch residents have had a rocky start to Christmas Day as aftershocks continue to rattle the battered city.

Almost 60 earthquakes have shaken the city since a magnitude 5.8 event struck at 1.58pm on Friday, disrupting essential services and damaging roads and homes. Ten shallow quakes as large as magnitude 3.7 have struck since midnight alone.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=10775213

Hopefully their day of rest is peaceful and they can relax, even if it's just for a few hours. They need a break, every time they start to clean up another one hits and they start all over again.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby gossamer on Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:55 pm

Thieves are targeting Christchurch homes being demolished in the badly quake-hit suburb of Bexley.

Demolitions of red-zoned homes bought by the Government started in the suburb this week with 11 properties in Seabreeze Close, Waireka Lane and Kokopu Lane.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/christchurch- ... d=10783235

They have enough issues to deal with while they recover from the quakes that hit them hard. What makes it even worse is the fact that people are stealing from the victims homes. Homes that should have been guarded were instead left vunerable and thieves took advantage of it.
Welcome to my web!
gossamer

Postby deja vu on Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:52 pm

Victims' distraught families want police to find who is responsible for the substandard Canterbury Television building that collapsed in the February earthquake, killing 115 people.

A damning investigation by the Department of Building and Housing (DBH) has found the six-storey building fell short of the required building standards when constructed in 1986, and the findings have now been passed to the police to consider if anyone may be criminally liable.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=10784562

I should be surprised by this news, but I'm not. Anyone that has seen Mike Holmes shows know full well that minimum code or below can be deadly if not caught. His shows are carried around the world educating people about shoddy work.

Tragically 115 people paid the price for builders that did not care. The one question that can never be answered is how many of those lost souls could have been saved if the builders had cared.

But one of the firms involved with the building when it was first built has hit back strongly at the DBH report, saying some of its content is "highly questionable" and "may be flawed".

Alan Reay Consultants carried out the initial structural design of the CTV building and its principal, Alan Reay, said: "Personally I feel incredibly torn. I have huge empathy for the families waiting for answers, but these reports are technically inadequate."

Lets say they did design the building correcty, they didn't build it. They probably were not on site every day making sure the builders followed their design.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby inflate on Sat May 05, 2012 5:08 pm

Extreme events such as the Canterbury earthquakes sometimes spark unexpected responses. Unlikely as it sounds, at least one Christchurch company is grateful for the aid it received from the Inland Revenue Department after the firm's computers and paper records were lost.

"Banks and the IRD were able to come to the rescue because they held a lot of information that was critical to individual businesses," says Peter Townsend, chief executive of the Canterbury Employers' Chamber of Commerce.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/inland-revenu ... d=10793995

Definitely a brutally hard lesson to learn and one that should not be ignored by those in the zone and the rest of the world. We need to have backups for valuable information. Companies need to wake up and realize it can happen anywhere and put a backup in place away from where they are located.
inflate

Postby deja vu on Sun May 27, 2012 6:19 pm

Some Christchurch residents were given a "rude awakening" this morning, with a magnitude 4.4 earthquake striking at 5am.

The quake was centred 10km northeast of Christchurch, off the coast of north New Brighton, at a depth of 8km. GNS Science said the quake was widely felt in Christchurch, and received reports it was felt as far north as Greta Valley and south as far as Marchwiel.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=10808959

They are still fighting to recover from the last 2 devastaing quakes. Thankfully there are no reports of injuries, but I have to wonder about the buildings already damaged by earlier quakes.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby smitty on Mon May 28, 2012 1:18 pm

Not an earthquake & it is almost impossible to have the midia down in print, but a few years ago the city of Oliver, south of Penticton, had a sort of slide of earth. It took one chap's home to be directly on Hwy 97 for some time, though damaged some homes & bits of orchards.

Seems the fault was for someone with horses they rented to sold kept this weak damn up till it finally gave away. So a stardard of PRIVATE water dams had to meet the Standards of B.C., govt. Fortunately the three we have & leading to our water resivour, met the standards without question.

Thing is OLIVER has been hit AGAIN. It has to do with their water system that seems to be running underground & not through the demanded water pipes as we have in Summerland.

Nothing has collapsed, but people can see cracks on their walls to their ceilings & some are noting some of the cement foundations are showing they are effected.

Back around 1959 I actually thought of looking at some orchards & homes in Oliver, even looked at one in Peachland, but realized this was all hillside & in no way would my Mother accpet this home. So we went for this home built in 1912 by a British chap called Snider & much to our liking to also the orchard.

Mind you three septic tanks had to replace others, to also my Father & I worked on this sort of British like sun deck with mesh to keep away mosquitoes, with jacking up that portion, with decent foundation & that place turned into a dining room & entrance to the living room from the kitchen to the dining room & then through the mentioned dining room.

Also according to the Town Fathers this is one of its rare VINTAGE homes in Summerland. i HOPE THEY DO NOT MAKE ANY THINGS LIKE TEARING IT DOWN.

After all through an incident the evening befoe the basement room was warm enough to attract a Snake know for gobbling up mice. Yet on my way back for b/fast I was about to hike it upstarirs only to hear this HISSING then to see this massive snake all curled up & wanting to be out FOR I had opened that basement door twice, like once to change the sprinklers her & another orchard, to open it again on my way inside again111!!

I feel the snake could smell the mice & they were in the basement, to also the warmth it offered earlier the evening before.
smitty

Postby keychain on Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:16 pm

A contractor claims he drilled up to 200 holes into the beams of the CTV building in the late 90s, but admits his memory of the job is "hazy''.

Daniel Morris was company director of Christchurch firm Knock Out Concrete Cutters when it got the job to drill holes "all over the place'' in the concrete beams and floors of the doomed city office tower between 1995 and 2000.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=10817580

Why would someone drill holes into the beams for no reason? He would have been paid so why no record of the work, unless they were not using permits to certify the work. Something is rotten with this one.
Waltzing Matilda, Waltzing Matilda
you'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me
he sang as he shoved that jumbuck in his tucker bag, 

keychain

Postby no1home on Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:38 pm

They just can not get a break -

A strong earthquake has woken up most of Christchurch this morning. GNS says it measured 4.3 magnitude just after 3.30am this morning. It was of strong intensity and was close to the central city - just five kilometres south of Christchurch.

Rattled nerves are never far from the surface in Christchurch and now those feelings are back.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=11597218

no1home

Postby Speak-Ez on Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:25 pm

The key here is the depth of the shake and that was only 5km down, which rates as almost in the "shallow" category. That is the number one problem for this particular shake.

________Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something.________
Speak-Ez
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby keychain on Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:41 am

An earthquake with a magnitude of 7.8 struck 91 kilometres north-northeast of the city of Christchurch, New Zealand just after 6 a.m. ET, the U.S. Geological Survey said. The U.S. Geological Survey initially said the quake had a magnitude of 7.4. Jolts from the earthquake caused damage more than 200 kilometres away in the country's capital Wellington where power was knocked out, windows were smashed and chimneys collapsed.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/new-zealan ... -1.3848896

They must be feeling shell shocked, they are still recovering from the ones that started all this in the first place. Rebuilding makes some progress and Mother Nature knocks it out. Since they did not mention it, will hope that means that no injuries or fatalies occurred.
Waltzing Matilda, Waltzing Matilda
you'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me
he sang as he shoved that jumbuck in his tucker bag, 

keychain

PreviousNext

Return to In the News