8.9 Earthquake Hits Japan - VERY BAD!

In the News

Re: 8.9 Earthquake Hits Japan - VERY BAD!

Postby smitty on Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:02 pm

The matter of the Japanese fishing boat being noted last evening, on the news probably woke up some Canadians.

This is amazing & the owner of the ship is still alive in Japan.
smitty

Postby deja vu on Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:25 am

Another day, another quake it seems. This time in Iwate and Miyagi prefectures. No reports of damage or injury and thankfully no tsunami.

I asked Speak1 about it:

Yes, felt that one and it's not a surprise. Have been expecting something like that for a few weeks. Could tell it was building up to that. I'm afraid that won't be the last, either. This area of the planet is seismically very unstable and I suppose we've just gotten used to it.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Speak1 on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:36 am

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Just had another one right off the coast of Fukushima Prefecture but until I saw the JMA page I thought the epicenter was in Yamanashi Prefecture, because it had that kind of feel to it. Was a little surprised to see it was up north. 5.9 magnitude only 50km deep and registered on the Japanese scale in two locations as a 5 minus, which is not a light shake. Awfully close to Fukushima Daiichi, too.

Yep, that one felt quite different for that area. Not sure what that foretells, but I'm not expecting this to stop for a fair bit longer.

But I'm still more worried about the activity we've been having in Saitama.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
Speak1

Postby deja vu on Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:05 pm

>
http://www.adn.com/2012/04/02/2403801/g ... unami.html

That Japanese ship has changed course and is now heading into US territory off the coast of Alaska. Harper didn't want to take responsibility and Mother Nature has cooperated. I wonder how long it will be before the US steps in and finally removes the ship from the water.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby smitty on Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:08 pm

Not an earthquake this time but really the wind was ghastly to say the least, to also a hurricane in a part of the USA of where trailer homes were in flight along with 18 wheeler trailers. That one was staggering. So I am thinkin of two places being Japan & one part of the USA.
smitty

Postby deja vu on Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:28 pm

A U.S. Coast Guard cutter was firing its 25mm cannon at a derelict Japanese fishing vessel on Thursday, aiming to sink what it called a threat to shipping.

Citing a Coast Guard spokesman, the Associated Press reported the firing began after a brief delay caused by a Canadian ship that wanted to salvage the Ryou-un Maru -- but then quickly found it it wasn't able to tow it back to shore.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/ ... nk-it?lite

It's fate has been decided and soon it may become a favorite for divers. The 2 governments didn't want to pay to tow
it so sinking it was the only option.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby testzone on Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:43 pm

The Japanese owner of a soccer ball that washed ashore on a remote island of Alaska has come forward, laying claim to one of the first pieces of debris to arrive in the U.S., from last year’s catastrophic tsunami in Japan.

Speaking to reporters Sunday, 16-year-old Misaki Murakami said he was “shocked” to hear his prized possession had floated more than 3,100 miles across the Pacific Ocean.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2 ... us-shores/

It's only a soccer ball, but worth a lot to one teen affected by the tragedy. It took the long route to find it's way home. A flight from Alaska will return it to a grateful owner. Hopefully they can find the owner of the volleyball as well.
testzone

Postby yukon on Thu May 03, 2012 2:32 pm

A Langford motorcycle dealer is helping to return a Harley-Davidson motorcycle to its owner in Japan after it was washed out to sea by last year's tsunami and ended up on B.C.'s northwest coast.

Masset resident Peter Mark found the motorcycle April 18 in a Styrofoam-lined storage container that washed ashore on Graham Island in Haida Gwaii, after floating 7,000 kilometres across the Pacific Ocean.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Vancou ... story.html

It can never replace the members of his family that he lost, but maybe help with some closure and bring some healing
to this man.
The Moose sees all, hears all, knows it all. Listen to your
local moose, Folks!
yukon

Postby smitty on Fri May 04, 2012 10:09 am

As a motorcycle rider I was not the only one that noted a dinged up HD, in a container, made it across to Canada.

One sad bit is the ex-owner lost a few brothers or sisters to other relatives, BUT now the HARLEY DAVIDSON firm will supply him a new one in Japan. Sort of a nice gesture for. we do know that he liked to ride around on the roads of Japan.
smitty

Postby manga2read on Fri May 04, 2012 10:24 pm

Nuclear energy seems to have been put out to maintenance mode in Japan. Though 30% of the country's energy comes from nuclear energy, using alternate sources has not been able to meet demand? Something about companies having to import fuel and costing the economy. With so many skyscrapers in Japan's urban area, there have to be buildings that would be good for solar panels to help generate electricity?
a word with you
manga2read

PreviousNext

Return to In the News