8.9 Earthquake Hits Japan - VERY BAD!

In the News

Re: 8.9 Earthquake Hits Japan - VERY BAD!

Postby smitty on Sat May 05, 2012 1:03 pm

You are right manga2read, for that is quite a dramatic move upon Japan for so many of the businesses require power to produce what they usually do.

Actually the above came up on a m/c board. Then it got me to thinking that Japan has/had a maze of them. Canada only has four with three of them being in Quebec Province & the other two are in Ontario province.

Western Canda does not have one, but Quebec is thinking of another one or two.

I think in the USA with such a large population to Canada they have something like 104 nucear power plants. Sort of shows how rivers to dams have helped Western Canada when it comes to power plants.
smitty

Postby deja vu on Sun May 06, 2012 4:48 pm

>
http://www2.alabamas13.com/news/2012/ma ... r-3740071/

They have enough to deal with and now Mother Nature has thrown a Tornado into the mix. One dead, some injuries and a lot of damage.

Never do what these 2 are doing. Standing in the parking lot watching a tornado is not the brightest idea. They should have been running for cover. If it gets any closer those cars are going to be flying and they are in the path of disaster.

Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby smitty on Fri May 18, 2012 10:45 am

deja vu , I was thinking of your thread with two women watching in come instead of trying to obtain some protection.

It is amazing that so many people, just normal folk, like us and they will do everything to be close to an accident were a few are injured or possibly killed WHEN the RCMP, Ambulance, & Fire Department are there, for what can the normal person do in a matter of help?

Same goes with a home on fire or the fire also spreading to another home for like above, this is the job of the Fire Department & if needed they will call in another fire department as a back-up.

I live at the bottom of an upside down T-section. True an owner decided to have the BBQ working only the wind blew it over starting the fire. This was a matter of the Fire Dept & the RCMP, but what amazed me is some of the people just part way down on this Avenue, just had to drive up to see the action.

They could have walked that half block & have been in a better position, but know they had to drive up that avenue or small part of it.

Though I knew the owner I never bothered during all the action. At his store, the other day or so, I asked what caused it, to what was he going to do. First of all he admitted the wrong doing of starting up the BBQ which he will NOT after that lesson & that he felt in a few weeks the home builders could put the house back to normal. That is the most I needed to know.

I never ride my m/c up there to go arond the house to get on a more highly road for there are two other streets to my right, before I can wheel out onto the more popular road, so there is a danger I do not want to gamble with.

Also during winter time the trucks with the blade on the front & what use to be salt/sand being throwen has been changed to an additionsl fine gravel MEANING traction for the car drivers in the winter time. to offer then traction, but usless for a m/c rider EVEN in the summer time as traction on two wheels is a bit touchie.

Even walking up there, getting around the homes & other streets, one has to watch out for the above mix of salt, sand, fine gravel can be something to roll your shoes/boots on though I will be using a pair of old retired climbing boots with good Vibram soles on them. So have a hunch even hikers will avoid that up hill or down hill sections due to the additional of the three streets.
smitty

Postby Speak1 on Sun May 20, 2012 9:05 am

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I saw that there was a strong earthquake in Italy and decided to see if we had a post up, yet.

So now that I am here, I guess I should post about something that's been happening in this part of the world.

In the Sanriku Oki area there has been an increase in seismic activity in about the last 48 hours in and around these coordinates, 39N 143E.

Right now I can only find a list like what is below in Japanese, but I'll see if I can find one in English. Of course, it would be best if all this activity does not amount to anything that would have us return to have a closer look at this list.

The more astute among you might notice how uncomfortably close this activity is to where we had the big one last year.

Seven on the 20th.

2012年5月20日 17時42分 ごろ 2012年5月20日 17時50分 三陸沖 5.1
2012年5月20日 17時21分 ごろ 2012年5月20日 17時27分 三陸沖 5.4
2012年5月20日 16時28分 ごろ 2012年5月20日 16時38分 三陸沖 5.7
2012年5月20日 16時20分 ごろ 2012年5月20日 16時32分 三陸沖 6.2
2012年5月20日 4時17分 ごろ 2012年5月20日 4時24分 三陸沖 4.8
2012年5月20日 4時14分 ごろ 2012年5月20日 4時20分 三陸沖 5.4
2012年5月20日 4時05分 ごろ 2012年5月20日 4時11分 三陸沖 5.8

Three on the 19th.

2012年5月19日 9時09分 ごろ 2012年5月19日 9時14分 三陸沖 4.8
2012年5月19日 6時32分 ごろ 2012年5月19日 6時37分 三陸沖 4.7
2012年5月19日 6時23分 ごろ 2012年5月19日 6時28分 三陸沖 5.1

One on the 17th.

2012年5月17日 15時51分 ごろ 2012年5月17日 15時56分 三陸沖 4.4

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
Speak1

Postby CielOnTap on Sun May 20, 2012 4:07 pm

The tremor Richter readings for the 20th seem to be sort of a crest or bell shape. Got to wonder what is causing them.

Besides the unease of the tremors that occur, Japanese residents have to be considering how electricity, that was powered by nuclear reactors, will be provided now that all reactors are offline for "maintenance." I have read that the Japanese government has not really addressed the lost electricity issue.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby Speak1 on Mon May 28, 2012 11:49 am

We just had a rather good shake in the Kanto area and JMA is indicating the epicenter was in Chiba at 5.2M strength and 80km deep, although while we were being shook around I imagined it was less deep.

Still, that brought a few things off the shelves.

Unfortunately, that will also have a couple aftershocks. Except, if that was an aftershock of last year, what would the aftershock of the aftershock be called?

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
Speak1

Postby deja vu on Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:18 pm

A nearly 70-foot (21-metre) — long dock that floated ashore on an Oregon beach was torn loose from a fishing port in northern Japan by last year’s tsunami and drifted across thousands of miles (kilometres) of Pacific Ocean, a Japanese Consulate official said Wednesday.

A commemorative plaque on the dock showed it was one of four owned by Aomori Prefecture that broke loose from the port of Misawa on the northern tip of the main island, Deputy Consul Hirofumi Murabayashi said from Portland, Oregon.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/Large ... story.html

It's the 2nd largest item that has shown up on the West Coast of North America. First it was the fishing boat and now this. I saw a video of it on the local news and it's huge. I was amazed that it was still in one piece.

From msnbc:

deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby deja vu on Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:57 pm

>
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/ ... ebris?lite

Here's a good question - Who is going to pay to remove the dock and other items that have and will show up on N. American shores?

It looks like the bill is growing while the buck keeps being passed around. Someone needs to create a workable plan before the debris costs become too much.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Speak1 on Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:27 am

When I see "very shallow" three times in such a short period of time and in an area that has been very active since last year's March 11th quake I get more than the usual nervous about earthquakes here.

From JMA today:

Occurred at (JST) / Latitude / Longitude / Depth / Magnitude / Region Name
12:27 JST 20 Jul 2012 / 35.5N / 140.2E / very shallow / 2.9 / Chiba-ken Hokuseibu
13:42 JST 20 Jul 2012 / 35.6N / 140.2E / very shallow / 3.2 / Chiba-ken Hokuseibu
16:14 JST 20 Jul 2012 / 35.6N / 140.1E / very shallow / 3.2 / Chiba-ken Hokuseibu

Speak1

Postby Speak-Ez on Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:57 am

I've been informed Speak1 wants this thread bumped due to some interest from another website dedicated to the Fukushima Daiichi disaster. Here's granting that request.

________Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something.________
Speak-Ez
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to In the News