U.S. Diplomats Killed in Diplomatic Compound in Libya

In the News

U.S. Diplomats Killed in Diplomatic Compound in Libya

Postby Speak-Ez on Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:14 pm

http://www.state.gov/secretary/rm/2012/09/197654.htm

First paragraph:

Yesterday, our U.S. diplomatic post in Benghazi, Libya was attacked. Heavily armed militants assaulted the compound and set fire to our buildings. American and Libyan security personnel battled the attackers together. Four Americans were killed. They included Sean Smith, a Foreign Service information management officer, and our Ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens. We are still making next of kin notifications for the other two individuals.

The ninth paragraph of the statement starts with the following two sentences:

But we must be clear-eyed, even in our grief. This was an attack by a small and savage group – not the people or Government of Libya.

After the events in Egypt, and given the date being the anniversary of the 2001 9/11 attacks in the United States, and given that statement that it was a "small" group, the first question I have is what was the size of the security detachment for that compound?

________Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something.________
Speak-Ez
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: U.S. Diplomats Killed in Diplomatic Compound in Libya

Postby deja vu on Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:50 pm

A filmmaker based in California went into hiding after a YouTube trailer of his movie attacking Islam's prophet Muhammad sparked angry assaults by ultra-conservative Muslims on U.S. missions in Egypt and Libya. The U.S. ambassador to Libya and three American members of his staff were killed.

Speaking by phone Tuesday from an undisclosed location, writer and director Sam Bacile remained defiant, saying Islam is a cancer and that the 56-year-old intended his film to be a provocative political statement condemning the religion.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/artic ... gypt-libya

I find it hard to believe that he didn't expect violence when he released the film. We all saw what happened when Salman Rushdie
released his book. He put a target on his back and now this gentleman has done the same thing.

An Isreali filmmaker living in California, they couldn't get to him so they went after the closest high level target to make as large a statement as possible. I too wonder why there wasn't more security around the building. They may have killed Ghadafi, but Libya is far from calm and in hindsight they should have been better prepared.

Clinton said they are beefing up security at US embassies/consulates around the world since the attack, but why isn't it always at the highest level 24/7? Shouldn't it be that high all the time? Why wait until it happens, why not stop it before it does? The US is a favorite target of these fanatics, so they should know they can not let down their guard overseas. Given that the anniversary of 9/11 was upon us should have been enough to beef up the security.

How many more will die in the name of Religion? We keep hearing that Islam is peaceful, but many in the Western World have trouble believing that when this continues to happen because someone writes or creates a film about the good and bad of the religion. Every religion has its fair share of fanatics, but their cause is based on ignorance and blind hatred. Instead of accepting the idea of dialogue they keep choosing violence. That alone hurts their cause more than anything else. Why didn't they choose peaceful protest to make their point? Then their voices would be heard, but instead violence is their solution and no one will listen to them.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Speak-Ez on Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:40 pm

I am still not understanding the security arrangements at that compound.

I am going to post the entire text on this page, because of the possibility of it being pulled later.

http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2012/09/1 ... -unfolded/

The timestamp when I accessed this page was:

September 12th, 2012
06:33 PM ET

How the Benghazi attack unfolded

Senior administration officials provided a timeline of what unfolded inside the Benghazi diplomatic mission:

4p ET (10p in Libya)
The U.S. consulate compound in Benghazi began taking fire from unidentified Libyan extremists.

4:15p ET
The attackers accessed the compound and fired into the main building setting it on fire. The Libyan guard force and mission security responded. Three people are inside the building: Ambassador Christopher Stevens, Foreign Service officer Sean Smith, and a regional security officer. Trying to evacuate, the three became separated because of the heavy smoke. The regional security officer made it outside of the building and then he and other security personnel returned into the burning building in an attempt to rescue Stevens and Smith. They found Smith dead and pulled him from the building. They were unable to locate the ambassador before being driven outside of the building again because of the fire and smoke.

4:45p ET
US security personnel assigned to the nearby mission annex tried to regain control of the main building but took heavy fire and had to retreat.

5:20p ET
US and Libyan personnel made another attempt and were able to regain control of the main building and secure it. Due to small arms fire the rest of the personnel in the nearby annex are evacuated.

6p ET
The annex comes under fire, which continues for two hours. Two additional US personnel were killed and two more wounded.

8:30p ET
Security of the compound is regained with assistance from Libyan security forces.

NOTE:
At some point during the attack officials believe Ambassador Stevens got out of the main building and was taken to a hospital in Benghazi. His condition at that time is unknown. His body was later returned to US personnel at the Benghazi airport.

There is an indication a comment was posted when I viewed the page, but the comment was not visible.

Speak-Ez
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Speak-Ez on Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:03 pm

Finally found information on a site, The Guardian, that there were no Marines guarding that diplomatic compound.

• The outpost in Benghazi was unguarded by Marines, as all full US embassies are. The Benghazi post was an interim facility with lesser security. Fifty members of an elite Marine guard were deployed to Benghazi Wednesday.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/middle- ... -film-live

Speak-Ez
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Speak-Ez on Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:22 am

Seems that the Information Management Officer, Sean Smith, had wondered about some activity outside the diplomatic compound where he was assigned.

There is some information posted about that on this site:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/09/vilerat/

I have to admit that I'm a bit surprised that a U.S. foreign service officer would be authorized to send messages of that nature to unofficial destinations, but that he did highlights that there were some indications by at least one person in that compound that something was odd. Of course, how often "odd" things were noticed may have a bearing on whether proper information was sent in a timely manner (Before the attack?) to appropriate State Department officials.

I have been asking myself how much authority Ambassador Stevens would have had in compound security decisions?

I wonder if we will be informed by the State Department who made the decision that no Marine detachment was necessary for security at that compound.

Obviously, I am just not understanding the security arrangements before the attack.

EDIT: Found this from CNBC: http://www.cnbc.com/id/49014013

And I found this from the Wall Street Journal:

http://stream.wsj.com/story/mideast-vio ... S-2-55801/

The article seems to indicate we can add two hours to the timeline. I hadn't seen that 8pm reference before this site.

The gang first arrived in the neighborhood around 8 p.m. local time carrying weapons including rocket-propelled grenade launchers and automatic rifles, said Ali Ben Saud, owner of the villa leased to the U.S. for the consulate.

A Libyan doctor said he and several neighbors tried to get the gang, which he estimated at 200, to leave as they marched toward the U.S. compound. “We told them to leave our homes alone and one [of the militants] replied, ‘The Americans are infidels and we are going to finish them,’ ” the doctor said. “Many of us then fled because the shooting started.”

Said Mr. al-Arghoubi, the neighborhood resident: “They didn’t come to talk. They came to fight.” The first shots were fired at around 10 p.m. local time, or 4 p.m. Eastern time, according to a preliminary U.S. account.

The attackers quickly gained access to the compound and began firing into the main building, setting it afire. A senior administration official said three people were inside the compound at the time: Mr. Stevens; Sean Smith, a foreign service information-management officer; and a U.S. regional security officer.

And here I have found a reference to something I thought I saw about 10 or so hours ago on BBC, but I couldn't find it again. That's why I started to archive full text from some sites.

This is referring to the ambassador going to the compound because of some sort of threat he was aware of. This is not BBC and not where I thought I first read about Ambassador Stevens seeming to have some idea something was going to happen and why he went to the compound.

Found here: http://www.muslimnews.co.uk/news/news.php?article=23322

Libyan officials, cited by AP, said that Stevens was killed Tuesday night when he and a group of embassy employees went to the consulate to try to evacuate staff. The protesters were firing gunshots and rocket propelled grenades.

And I see the Department of Defense is claiming they had a "robust American security presence" within that compound.

She said security in Benghazi included a local guard force outside the compound, “which is similar to the way we are postured all over the world. We had a physical perimeter barrier and … a robust American security presence inside the compound, including a strong component of regional security officers.”

http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=117838

I think I need a dictionary. I would have thought a robust American security presence would have been able to hold back that attacking force for longer than 15 minutes.

Let's put it this way, I do not view sidearms as a "robust" weapons system. And if you have an M16 and a "robust" quantity of ammunition you then have some firepower, but I wonder if I'd even call that "robust". "Robust" eh?

Speak-Ez
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mousepad on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:05 pm

Speak-Ez, I think the US Government has a lot of questions to answer. They need to stop laying the blame for a minute and answer the hard questions about the lapse in security that caused the deaths. Given the significance of 9/11 and that it attracts the fanatics, why wouldn't you have increased security and a safer place to hide in the building. Maybe a safe room in the basement?

Sure, the film may be a part of their reason, but 9/11 is probably at the center of their reason for the attack. Too many things have happened since that fateful day when the towers fell. Based on that they should be in security overload, not downsizing.

Most Embassies, not just the US are in civilian neighbourhoods or the downtown area of major cities. Makes them a bit vulnerable to fanatics, an easy target to reach. Maybe it's time to turn them into fortresses, make it as difficult as possible for the terrorists to get near them. If that means building bomb proof rooms in the basement so be it.

The time for talk is over, they need to take permanent action to maintain safety at their Embassies. What doesn't help is that the issue is a hot potato issue in the upcoming US election. This is not the time to score voter points, because we all know that once elected that falls to the wayside.
Cheese Please!
mousepad

Postby smitty on Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:41 pm

All of you have some good posts on this matter. Thing is some years back in a similiar country the USA Embassy were in trouble, so they slipped over to the Cdn Embassy to have false passpoerts that included them as Canadian AND were able to get them back to North America.

I remember some days prior the American Marines came down on an empty part of the land in the evening to go to the US Embassy & scoot them back to the USA. Unfortunately they had a number of aircraft that piled into each other.

Probably to many years ago for me or anyone to remember the above bar the situation almost from the start to the Amercan Embassy people getting back to the USA in being understood they were Canadians. I remember someone high up in the USA Govt thanked the Cdns for going out of their way to get the Americans away & back to hire home land.
smitty

Postby southernfry on Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:28 pm

This is not about a “clash of civilizations.” Instead, the dramatic events of recent days show that the forces of ignorance and ideology — on both sides — are hard at work at this crucial time to push their own agendas.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/artic ... ilizations

This may say it all. "Push their own agendas."

The fanatics watched and waited for their opportunity and unfortunately it came. For some reason the US didn't have enough security and they paid the ultimate price. They knew it could happen, that the fanatics were close by, yet failed to make the right decision.

It will be a big part of the US elections, as both will use the situation to promote themselves to gain the votes to take the big chair. The fanatics see it as a major victory and try to bring more into their cause.

This whole issue is one nasty/scary merry-go-round that never ends and never will. Peace is a pipe dream that may come close at times, but will never cross that final line. Too much hatred and mistrust from birth, and it repeats itself with every generation over there. Too many scared to stand up to the fanatics, it's easier to either remain quiet or try to make them see reason and then run and duck for cover.
Running to the border for bbq sauce
southernfry

Postby deja vu on Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:36 pm

I just came across this 2 page article on the subject of the security at the compound. I'm still shaking my head at how bad the so called security was.

Now they send help, but it's too late to help the victims and it's clear Obama and his underlings fell asleep at the wheel. That or this is the norm for Obama. Cost cutting at all costs and 4 paid with their lives. Americans can also see the same issues within Homeland Security. It also seems to operate after the fact instead of preparing for the worst before it happens.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... consulate/

Experts are questioning the level security for the Benghazi consulate and slain U.S. Ambassador to Libya Christopher Stevens.

One national security expert says the Obama administration should have been prompted to increase security by the anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks, a call from al Qaeda’s leader to attack Americans and the growing terrorists presence in Benghazi. The administration is sending 50 fast-reaction Marines to Benghazi, a day after four Americans, including Mr. Stevens, were killed in a mob invasion of the consulate and a safe house.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby deja vu on Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:13 pm

House Republicans stepped up criticism of President Barack Obama on Friday over the deadly Sept. 11 attack on the U.S mission in Benghazi, Libya, releasing 166 pages of unclassified documents and photos that they said show administration officials repeatedly rejected “requests for increased security despite escalating violence … (and) systematically decreased existing security to dangerous and ineffective levels.”

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012 ... ghazi?lite

I know there is an election coming up and this gives the Republicans material to use against them, but they also need to be careful because they have been on the other side of the fence. Solutions are needed, yet they seem to want to finger point. It could easily happen under their watch if they win so they need to focus on solutions and implementing them and less of the finger pointing for political votes.

Both sides need to remember people died and it could happen again if neither side learns from it.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to In the News