The past revisited

In the News

Re: The past revisited

Postby deja vu on Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:41 pm

Mine are all long gone and am guessing it would be expensive to buy a record player/speakers and even more to rebuild a collection. Would be fun to step back in time in a store like that and see all that you had or wish you had.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kittydiva on Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:10 pm

Hi there deja vu -

Ah, I guess I have somewhat of the pack rat in me (feline that I am, I got that gene from Mom and I keep struggling to reform).

I have a bunch of 45s and lots of LPs as well. I think it would be hard trying to replace at least some of them; some of them are not all that well known.

I still have a stereo/ turntable but am not using it at present; it needs a speaker or set of speakers for one thing. Then, this place is in such a mess, I'm not sure where I want to set it up. But hopefully someday I'll get this place in shape and get it set up and going again.

Whatever medium, there are still just some songs that are classic, that always touch us no matter when or how we hear them.
kittydiva

Postby trailblaze on Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:36 am

It was reportedly abandoned and destroyed in July 1944. The story goes that all of the scientists on the island became severely ill with trichinosis, after being forced to eat infected polar bear meat during a stint of low supplies. The meteorologists were rescued and the camp was thought to be actively destroyed. The following decades of harsh Arctic weather were also thought to have eroded what was left of the settlement.

http://www.iflscience.com/environment/r ... r-station/

Sure hope the Russians don't stop other countries from inspecting what is left. Doesn't look like much, but might have some discoveries under all
that rock and gravel.
trailblaze

Postby ice cream on Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:07 pm

Sprawling Maya network discovered under Guatemala jungle

Researchers have found more than 60,000 hidden Maya ruins in Guatemala in a major archaeological breakthrough. Laser technology was used to survey digitally beneath the forest canopy, revealing houses, palaces, elevated highways, and defensive fortifications. The landscape, near already-known Maya cities, is thought to have been home to millions more people than other research had previously suggested. The researchers mapped over 810 square miles (2,100 sq km) in northern Peten. Archaeologists believe the cutting-edge technology will change the way the world will see the Maya civilisation.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-42916261

Technology is rewriting the history books. So many treasures are now coming to the surface and so much more still to find. Hope they take the time to dig it out to see what it looks like up close and personal and what other secrets it may reveal.
Beware of brain freeze
ice cream

Previous

Return to In the News