The past revisited

In the News

Re: The past revisited

Postby trailblaze on Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:41 pm

A 1,000-year-old Buddha statue from China has revealed some surprises, after being given a thorough medical exam, including CT scans and an endoscopy. The statue contains the mummified body of the Buddhist master Liuquan of the Chinese Meditation School, according to the Meander Medical Centre in Amersfoort, Netherlands, where the statue was scanned.

The Drents Museum in Assen, Netherlands, which exhibited the statue last year as part of its "Mummy World" exhibition, said the monk lived around the year 1100.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/ancie ... -1.2967449

The Drents Museum says it suspects this mummy could be a case of self-mummification. That was a practice by Buddhist monks in Asia that involved a strict diet, including poison, to the point of near starvation in order to promote preservation of the body. When they were near death, they were buried alive.

Odd the lengths some will go to for religion. Near death or not, been buried alive willingly is hard to accept.

A look into a world of secrecy and has one wondering how many other buddhas are encased in bronze statues. Now they have DNA, but no mention of what it will be used for? Finding living relatives?
trailblaze

Postby musicrock on Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:24 pm

The discovery of human bones dangling from the roots of an overturned tree likely rattled those who first came upon the scene in Ireland's County Sligo. Violent winds felled a 200-year-old beech tree on a private property in the town of Collooney, exposing remains believed to have been buried about one thousand years ago.

The unusual circumstances of the discovery were further punctuated by the position of the bones. The upper half of the skeleton was entangled in the massive tree's root system, while the leg bones remained in the ground.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/a ... ree/57226/

Cool, I wonder what mysteries this will unravel?

Time for a DNA test to see if they find any living relatives of this mystery man.
musicrock

Postby pysanky on Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:33 pm

That tree could have been planted after dead deceased was buried or maybe was random seedling that took root over an existing graveyard.

Imagine shock at seeing the dead "held" by the tree that fell over.
Happy New Year-2015 now on scene.
pysanky

Postby yukon on Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:03 pm

A 19th-century burial ground uncovered during construction on René-Lévesque Boulevard has revived interest in the long and colourful history of Montreal's Scottish community. Hydro-Québec workers installing a new electrical line recently found roughly 40 skeletons at the site of the old cemetery. "We knew it was there, but it reminds you that the past isn't that far away," said Heather McNabb, who works at Montreal's McCord Museum and wrote her master's thesis on Montreal's Scottish community in the 19th century.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/ ... -1.3757370

Hope they don't rugh the teams collecting all that has been and will be uncovered. With todays technololy, we may get a lot of answers and for some families a visit from the past.
The Moose sees all, hears all, knows it all. Listen to your
local moose, Folks!
yukon

Postby kittydiva on Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:20 am

...They found his living relatives {(King Richard III} and now the mystery surrounding his death has been solved. Or not, wonder if they will try to figure out if he was targeted by someone close to him, or just in battle as most think. Now perhaps the man can rest in peace.

Snipped some to not make the post too long. I believe one of the King's descendants made his coffin. The discovery of the remains of King Richard III was quite a story. The woman who spearheaded the quest was certainly a model of persistence. She just had this feeling... and she swore that an R she saw on the parking lot at the site was a sign!

Segway to... if you see this, signs, I just love that signature. That is one great song!
kittydiva

Postby signs on Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:50 am

Segway to... if you see this, signs, I just love that signature. That is one great song!

Famous in Canada, but never made it big in the world. Five Man Electrical Band ( from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada) originally wrote it as the B side for the 45 rpm, funny how the A side flopped and the B did well.
Sign Sign everywhere a sign
Blocking out the scenery breaking my mind
signs
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby kittydiva on Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:45 pm

signs wrote:

Famous in Canada, but never made it big in the world. Five Man Electrical Band ( from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada) originally wrote it as the B side for the 45 rpm, funny how the A side flopped and the B did well.

Hey, glad you noticed the post and replied as I didn't know Five-Man Electrical Band was from Canada!

I have the 45 - always loved the song. The song got plenty airplay around here --- I'm in S. Jersey so the radio is/was mostly from Philadelphia. It's a real classic and has a great message.
kittydiva

Postby Speak-Ez on Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:46 pm

Sure are revisiting the past when you write you have some artist's 45.

I'll bet there are some humans that have no idea what a 45 is, if they don't read that in the context of a firearm.

And while I am thinking about the 45 that produces a sound like music, don't I remember that I had to have a funny little adapter to play the 45? Little round thing, yes?

________Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something.________
Speak-Ez
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby yukon on Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:58 pm

A 45 rpm adaptor of the past - Image

and the present - Image Image

If one is ever in Victoria BC, this store is an LP/45 rpm lovers dream shop. Where the past is coming back to life.

http://ditchrecords.strikingly.com/
The Moose sees all, hears all, knows it all. Listen to your
local moose, Folks!
yukon

Postby kittydiva on Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:25 pm

Hi Speak-Ez and Yukon -

I do indeed have quite a collection of 45s. They were relatively inexpensive and a good idea if one only wanted a particular song, rather than a whole album. I heard some pretty cool B sides that way, too.

And those adoptors ------ I used them - must have been on a portable record player I had, though. There were other kinds, too, that didn't have to be put in place in each 45 you wished to play.

I hadn't seen those present day ones. That shop in Victoria, BC must be cool 8-)

One memory I have from undergrad college is sitting down on the floor with a portable record player, a bunch of 45s and completing my Child Psych homework. Guess it worked as I did fine with the course!
kittydiva

PreviousNext

Return to In the News