International Day of Peace 2016

In the News

International Day of Peace 2016

Postby kittydiva on Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:30 am

Tomorrow (already?) is the International Day of Peace - 2016.

The theme this year is "Building Blocks for Peace."

Here are a couple of sites:

http://www.un.org/en/events/peaceday/index.shtml and:

http://internationaldayofpeace.org/
kittydiva

Re: International Day of Peace 2016

Postby Speak-Ez on Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:48 am

Without a doubt, if organized armed conflict between humans on this planet could somehow be acieved it would be the most remarkable achievement for as long as the human race could survive.

I make the reference to "organized armed conflict" because of the opening two sentences in/on the United Nations' page, which I'll place just below.

"Each year the International Day of Peace is observed around the world on 21 September. The General Assembly has declared this as a day devoted to strengthening the ideals of peace, both within and among all nations and peoples."

And I only do that because I do not want humans to only think about "organized armed conflict" when they think about peace on this planet.

Peace between individuals outside the idea of "organized armed conflict" is also to be a goal, if we are true to the idea of peace on this planet.

It's a complicated subject to think about, isn't it?

________Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something.________
Speak-Ez
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: International Day of Peace 2016

Postby kittydiva on Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:13 am

Speak-Ez wrote:.

Without a doubt, if organized armed conflict between humans on this planet could somehow be acieved it would be the most remarkable achievement for as long as the human race could survive.

I make the reference to "organized armed conflict" because of the opening two sentences in/on the United Nations' page, which I'll place just below.

"Each year the International Day of Peace is observed around the world on 21 September. The General Assembly has declared this as a day devoted to strengthening the ideals of peace, both within and among all nations and peoples."

Without a doubt, if organized armed conflict between humans on this planet could somehow be acieved it would be the most remarkable achievement for as long as the human race could And I only do that because I do not want humans to only think about "organized armed conflict" when they think about peace on this planet.

survive.It's a complicated subject to think about, isn't it?

Hi there Speak-Ez -

Umm, I think when you wrote: "Without a doubt, if organized armed conflict between humans on this planet could somehow be acieved it would be the most remarkable achievement for as long as the human race could survive.", you meant an end to organized armed conflict, right? And absolutely it would be a fantastic achievement. Didn't Gloria Steinem say on her appearance on "Finding Your Roots" that she thought the 'greatest generation' would be the one which finally puts an end to wars? There's definitely something to that!

I liked that snippet from the U. N. and I think you (and they) are a right track when you said: "And I only do that because I do not want humans to only think about "organized armed conflict" when they think about peace on this planet." I don't know if it's complicated, but yes, there are many dimensions to Peace. We should work on all those dimensions.

And - Happy International Day of Peace!
kittydiva

Return to In the News