Air Canada flight in San Francisco under investigation

In the News

Air Canada flight in San Francisco under investigation

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:17 am

A flight arriving at San Francisco was lining to approach a taxiway where four other flights were waiting for departure clearance when air traffic control told the flight to go around and try again. The near-miss would have been a disaster if the plane had struck the other planes with passengers and cargo and full fuel tanks.

The FAA is investigating.
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-sfo-taxiway-near-landing-20170710-story.html

Tip of the news hat to Radio-Canada for posting a French version of the article. There is a photo of the airport runways and their names to point out the airplanes on the ground on one runway versus the open runways. http://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1044591/san-francisco-air-canada-avion-atterrissage-erreur-catastrophe-evite
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Re: Air Canada flight in San Francisco under investigation

Postby Speak-Ez on Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:02 am

Of course the FAA is required to investigate something of this nature that takes place in an area of their jurisdiction, but as a former pilot I will post my view, before reading the news story, that it seems the ATC did his/her job and all were safe because of that. That is their job. They are fine, hard-working folks and they keep people safe all the time. Congratulations to them. I remember when that Reagan fella fired a bunch of them. I climbed a mountain with one of them a few months after that. A very big mountain, by the way.

________Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something.________
Speak-Ez
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby deja vu on Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:24 am

Trump has said he wants to basically do the same thing, while hoping for a different outcome than Reagan.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/ar ... ol/529503/
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Speak-Ez on Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:27 am

Okay, I read the LA Times story and it seems the pilot, and I assume it was the AC, was at fault in that incident.

I wonder who the "Unknown" was in that transcript of the communications?

Maybe somebody else in the tower. Maybe the shift boss.

Still, a very unpleasant situation for the AC. "AC" means aircraft commander and maybe that is only used by the military.

Seems I read about some sort of taxiway incident in another location recently. That actor fella, maybe?

________Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something.________
Speak-Ez
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:27 pm

The actor you are thinking of had a near miss at a different airport in California.

Some thanks must go to the United Airlines pilot that commented on the AC flight's being too near-it must have jogged the air traffic controller to state the go around command. The Air Canada pilot probably was confused about the correct name for the open runways. This incident happened at night too-not aware of the AC co-pilot being involved in the landing verification.

You'll notice a former pilot made the comments about the potential for disaster had the AC pilot landed where he intended-on top of four planes.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:33 pm

I follow a radion station in Montreal on Twitter (interesting stories in the city and reports about what is happening internationally) and spotted a curious detail about the flight-a US passenger on the flight said the pilot did not tell the passengers what had almost happened.

Passengers were not told about the near-calamity after the plane landed safely, Jones said. Instead, he said the pilot told the 140 passengers on board that there was more traffic than usual and everything was fine, he said.
But he said he knew something was wrong because as the plane descended, the engines revved, and then the plane climbed.

The controller assures the pilot there is no one on the runway. Seconds later, another voice _ apparently one of the pilots on the taxiway _ interjects, ``Where's this guy going? He's on the taxiway.''
The controller orders the Air Canada jet to ``go around,'' and the pilot acknowledges the command.
Roughly 30 seconds later, a United Airlines pilot on the taxiway says the jet ``flew directly over us.''
Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Ian Gregor would not comment on how close Air Canada Flight 759 came to disaster, citing his agency's ongoing investigation.
The National Transportation Safety Board also will review what happened.

http://www.iheartradio.ca/cjad/news/plane-passenger-pilot-didn-t-tell-fliers-of-near-calamity-1.2824035
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Return to In the News