Former Prime Minister of Thailand Slips Out of the Country

In the News

Former Prime Minister of Thailand Slips Out of the Country

Postby Rhet-or-Ric on Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:08 pm

I'm using the vocabulary that she 'slipped out' because of the information we have been provided by the BBC, not because I personally know that she did so.

So let me first provide a link to the BBC information they have recently posted on their web page:

Yingluck trial: Thailand ex-PM 'fled to Dubai' before verdict

And it might be a good idea to place here the analysis by the BBC's Jonathan Head and I do not think the BBC should give our site a hard time for doing that because we are trying to show that the BBC is proper in giving the impression that the lady did some sort of sneaky thing. I mean, let's face it, the BBC is clearly trying to give the impression that she might not have been doing a legal exit of the country.

You better read the full story yourself, but this part I hope I can post here without getting in trouble with the BBC. What I am placing below is about a third of the way down their page where their story is located on their website.

The sub-title the BBC used is this: "How could Yingluck Shinawatra have left?"

They further write the following as s ort of sub sub-title: "Analysis by Jonathan Head, BBC News, Bangkok"

And Mr. Head's analysis is as follows:

Yingluck Shinawatra was the most high-profile criminal defendant in Thailand and was constantly monitored by the military authorities. So how was she able to leave the country just hours before the verdict was due to be read out? Immigration authorities say they have no record of her leaving the country.

However, it is a poorly-concealed secret that some in the military government would have been happy to see her leave the country before the verdict.

Had she been convicted and jailed, she could have been seen as a victim by her supporters. The government was nervous about their reaction. Acquitting her, though, would have been equally unacceptable to her hard-line opponents, many of them very influential.

That would also have undermined the justification for the military coup which overthrew her government. So it is unlikely anyone tried to stop her leaving, or that they will try to get her back.

The rest of the BBC article all adds up to a really strange sort of situation regarding the business surrounding the former Prime Minister. I suppose the way one views the situation depends on what sort of political leanings one may have, if one is actually living in Thailand.

If we are trying to understand this, and we are not living in Thailand, I think we might get in trouble from somebody for whatever way we wish to lean as we study all the ins-and-outs of this matter.

My gut feeling after just a read of the BBC article is that maybe it is a good idea that lady departed the immediate area, but I am worried that I have now left myself open to attack from somebody more involved in this situation in Thailand.

It sure does seem like the military has a lot of power in that country, doesn't it?

The Eyes Have It.
Rhet-or-Ric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to In the News