Hurricane Irma Is Now a Category 5

In the News

Hurricane Irma Is Now a Category 5

Postby Rhet-or-Ric on Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:26 pm

We have ourselves another very large storm. Following on the heels of Hurricane Harvey there may be many that are not interested in the idea of following the happenings of another bad, bad storm.

But the big trouble caused by Harvey was after it was no longer a hurricane and dumped rain, and rain, and more rain all over that area that now has so much trouble. High pressure caused Harvey not to be able to go inland and just die out like a good little (big) hurricane.

But even though lots of humans not directly involved are burned out by all the news about that earlier storm, Mother Nature doesn't care. She cooked up a new one, and it sure looks like big trouble. It might not be a bad idea to pay attention.

Obviously the first link we should provide is what we now have as an overview from the National Hurricane Center:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at1.shtml?cone

Next, I wish to borrow a few paragraphs from Ms. Staletovich's work for the Miami Herald, and let me put the link in first, then the little bit of text they probably won't mind too much we show everyone, as long as it is clear where it came from.

Florida almost certain to feel Irma’s fury, but where remains uncertain

The Atlantic’s most powerful hurricane ever outside the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean is expected to pound Florida with damaging winds, but where, and just how bad the state gets hit, remains unclear.

Irma has been churning west, on a path that began slamming the Leeward Islands on Tuesday night, as it rolls toward the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. It’s being steered by a high pressure ridge that in the coming days is expected to collide with a low pressure trough moving across the U.S. When they meet, the ridge should weaken and allow Irma to sneak north, determining where the hurricane’s fiercest winds land. But so far, models have not been able to agree on where that critical turn happens.

And it might be a good idea to offer the view of a different writer and that writer's bosses and maybe offering something from a Canadian source isn't such a bad idea:

Hurricane Irma a 'potentially catastrophic' storm as it heads to Caribbean

So Mother Nature is being sort of self-centered again and has brewed up a nasty storm for some new folks that didn't get a taste of Harvey, except in the media.

Okay, maybe I better apologize to Mother Nature, in case she has a good Internet connection and doesn't like what I am writing about her here. Sorry MoNa. You are a cool lady! Just highlighting in this thread your cool work. Please forgive the strange human-type language used. We are weird animals.

And NOW I better apologize to all that have the name Mona. But please notice the upper-case 'N' I used, which I am sure you don't use in your name. Well, you better not now.
The Eyes Have It.
Rhet-or-Ric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hurricane Irma Is Now a Category 5

Postby deja vu on Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:34 pm

Two important articles from the aftermath of Harvey and important information on what not to do during and after Irma. If you don't have to walk through the flooded areas, DON'T. If you do, I hope you have hip waders because it may save your life. Human waste and dangerous toxins are floating around in it and you need to take precautions.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/03/us/housto ... index.html

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shot ... cials-urge
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Rhet-or-Ric on Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:42 am

I am hoping that the National Hurricane Center will not mind if I borrow an image from them they recently were showing us.

Notice that "M" at each location. The definition for their use of the "M" is as follows:

M: Major Hurricane – wind speed greater than 110 MPH

Obviously, a lot of people are nervous right about now.
The Eyes Have It.
Rhet-or-Ric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Rhet-or-Ric on Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:24 am

We used CBC for a story in the first post, so maybe using them again for some information is okay.

Hurricane Irma makes 1st landfall in Caribbean

And we'll give you their first paragraph in that story.

The most powerful Atlantic Ocean hurricane in recorded history made its first landfall in the islands of the northeast Caribbean early Wednesday, roaring along a path pointing to Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic, Haiti and Cuba before possibly heading for Florida over the weekend.

Those words "most powerful" are scary!

The Eyes Have It.
Rhet-or-Ric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby out in space on Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:34 pm

There is a "must see" video within this article that shows this is not a storm to be messed with. Might be the strongest in history according to some. Certainly time to take it seriously and get out of it's path. No one can protect their property against this by staying put.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-41172726

Florida officials have put a mandatory evacuation in place and people seem to be listening. Apparently hotels in Georgia are booked solid as people are heading north to escape the bulldozer coming their way.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/hurricane- ... -1.4276642

WestJet, Air Canada and Air Transat sending planes to get travellers out of Hurricane Irma's path

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/hurrica ... -1.4276658
Beam me up!
out in space
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby deja vu on Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:42 pm

Nearly every building on the island of Barbuda was damaged when the eye of the storm passed almost directly overhead early Wednesday, and about 60 per cent of the island's roughly 1,400 people were left homeless, Antigua and Barbuda Prime Minister Gaston Browne told The Associated Press.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/hurricane- ... -1.4276642

Prayers to all in its path, take cover in shelters.

Homes can be rebuilt, lives lost can not.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dreamon on Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:45 pm

I do not think it can be said enough, Get Out Of Town. Once it hits, no one will be coming to help you. You can't stop the wind and rain or stop your house from being wrecked, so why risk your lives, or your kids.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/hurricane- ... -1.4278459

The universe is big It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely
impossible things just happen and we call them miracles
dreamon

Postby deja vu on Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:13 pm

He said about a third of the homes on Saint Martin are now uninhabitable and that the island hasn't had water in about 36 hours because of damaged reservoirs.

Irma's path of devastation across the northern Caribbean left at least 10 dead and thousands homeless after destroying buildings and uprooting trees on a track Thursday that could lead to a catastrophic strike on Florida.

Lepine said a big concern now is that the island's main supply chain in Miami is about to get pounded and that another, somewhat weaker hurricane, Jose, is expected to hit Saint Martin on Saturday.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/quebecer-w ... -1.3579077

Could it get any worse? Yes. Jose will visit all those islands already hit hard by Irma. They only have time to find better shelter if necessary and hope for the best. No supplies in stores to restock, makes this double whammy even worse.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby deja vu on Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:41 pm

Just found this site with a live feed from the resorts cameras. As I am watching it you can see it picking up steam and the worst is yet to come.

The feed is slow to come up, so if you want to try on your own, just google Southernmost Beach Resort. It is is Key West.

https://www.southernmostbeachresort.com/gallery/webcam/
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Speak-Ez on Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:26 am

The information coming in is that the storm is now going to miss Miami and possibly make its first hit of the land on the west side of the peninsula and possibly as far up the coast as St. Petersburg.

I was reading the news that some people were actually angry about this change in course and the alerts the issuing authorities had been giving to areas where the hurricane is not now going to hit directly.

Why do those people think we send the aircrews up into the eye of the storm?

I suspect that everyone responsible for gathering information works as hard as they can, works with as much skill as is available, and works with the best interest of the public in their hearts. If it didn't hit Miami I really don't feel comfortable complaining to some professional weather individual with your/our best interest at heart.

________Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something.________
Speak-Ez
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to In the News