An 8+ Earthquake (Terremoto) Off the Coast of Mexico

In the News

An 8+ Earthquake (Terremoto) Off the Coast of Mexico

Postby Speak-Ez on Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:45 am

I have placed the strength in the title as 8 with the plus sign because there are a number of different numbers being expressed by a number of organizations.

The USGS set the strength at 8.1. The President of Mexico states 8.2 and I have a few news sources that are stating it was an 8.4 and so I am as confused as I suppose some of you are.

I also had trouble finding information about casualties from news sources in Mexico, which was where I thought the best place would be to go for that sort of news.

Here I will provide the link and then copy what we are allowed to read without a subscription. But what we are allowed to read shows us the number of casualties as 6.

http://www.reforma.com/aplicaciones/art ... id=1205094

Pega sismo sur y centro; van 6 muertos

REFORMA/Redacción

Cd. de México, México (08 septiembre 2017).- Un sismo de 8.2 grados con epicentro localizado a 111 kilómetros al suroeste de Tonalá, Chiapas, a las 23:49:17 horas, dejó daños en varias entidades y al menos seis personas muertas y dos lesionadas, informaron autoridades.

Para seguir leyendo, regístrate o suscríbete.

This source was giving us a number of 5 for casualties when I was checking and a link is enough because you can read that number in the title. You will also see the strength given as 8.4 and that was not the only news source in Mexico giving that strength.

¡México registra un sismo de 8.4 grados!; se reportan al menos 5 muertos

We will now offer a link to a BBC article and in that article they are indicating a much higher casualty number.

Mexico earthquake of magnitude 8.2 strikes off Pacific coast

Frankly, even the death of one is too high.

________Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something.________
Speak-Ez
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: An 8+ Earthquake (Terremoto) Off the Coast of Mexico

Postby keychain on Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:14 pm

The number sits at 60 for now, but no doubt that number will climb Double whammy for Mexico, a hurricane moving
towards them and now this.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/death-toll- ... -1.3580418

Waltzing Matilda, Waltzing Matilda
you'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me
he sang as he shoved that jumbuck in his tucker bag, 

keychain

Return to In the News