More Seismic Activity in Lombok, Indonesia

In the News

More Seismic Activity in Lombok, Indonesia

Postby Speak-Ez on Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:45 am

We are offering more than a bit of information this time because the professional news people around the world seem to be confused on a number of points.

BBC cites the USGS as placing the depth at 10km, but we cannot find that. We find 31km deep as their number.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes ... #executive

M 6.9 - 3km SSE of Loloan, Indonesia
2018-08-05 11:46:37 UTC // 8.287°S 116.452°E // 31.0 km depth

The New York Times states there were two strong earthquakes, but we cannot find that on the USGS site.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes ... %3Anull%7D

BBC
Huge Indonesia earthquake rocks Lombok island

A powerful magnitude 7 earthquake has hit the Indonesian island of Lombok.

A tsunami warning was issued in its aftermath but it was lifted several hours later.

The US Geological Survey said the quake, off the north coast of the island, struck 10km (6.21 miles) underground.

It comes a week after another quake hit the island killing at least 16 people. Lombak is a popular tourist site for its beaches and hiking trails.

There were no immediate reports of casualties, but officials urged people to move away from the ocean.

New York Times
Powerful Twin Earthquakes Strike Off Coast of Indonesia

By Joe Cochrane
Aug. 5, 2018

JAKARTA, Indonesia — Powerful earthquakes struck off the coast of the Indonesian resort island of Lombok near the popular resort island of Bali on Sunday evening, triggering a tsunami warning and prompting panicked residents and visitors to flee to safety.

The earthquakes — with magnitudes of 6.8 and 7.0 — struck off Lombok’s north coast and were felt on Bali, just to the west, Indonesia’s national Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency said.

Television footage showed residents and tourists fleeing for cover on both islands.

Minutes later, in what was most likely an aftershock measuring magnitude 5.6, the same region was jolted again, the agency said.

Dwikorita Karnawati, the head of the meteorology agency, said in a televised statement that there were about 12 aftershocks or “smaller earthquakes.”

BUT! We hope there are few injured and no deaths.
No injured would be great, but possibly not realistic.

________Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something.________
Speak-Ez
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: More Seismic Activity in Lombok, Indonesia

Postby Speak1 on Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:32 pm

The BBC is still listing the depth at only 10km underground. I looked at the USGS site and they are still listing it as having an epicenter at 31km in depth.

Lombok: Scores die as quake again hits Indonesian island

The magnitude seven tremor was shallow, happening only 10km (6.21 miles) underground. It damaged thousands of buildings and triggered power cuts.

So what's going on with that?

Unfortunately, the wish for no injuries was too much. I suppose the first post above was before the reports of deaths was getting to the news organizations.

One thing that I find odd is here:

A worker in Bali's capital city Denpasar described the scene to the BBC.

"They were initially just little shocks but then they started to get bigger and bigger and people started to shout 'earthquake', then all the staff panicked and rushed out of the building," the unnamed man said.

My experience with earthquakes is that one doesn't usually feel small shakes before the one that does the damage. Small shakes before the main one is an indication to me that something is very odd. I worry whether all this shaking so far might only be foreshocks.
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
Speak1

Postby keychain on Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:11 pm

BANGSAL, INDONESIA—Aid began reaching isolated areas of the Indonesian island struggling after a powerful earthquake that killed more than 130 people as rescuers intensified efforts Wednesday to find those buried in the rubble.

The national disaster agency stood by its latest death toll of 131 from Sunday’s quake despite other government agencies including the military reporting much higher figures.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2018 ... ifies.html

It is the isolated areas that will be the most telling for the injured and death toll numbers. No way to know how many are buried alive and can be rescued in time.
Waltzing Matilda, Waltzing Matilda
you'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me
he sang as he shoved that jumbuck in his tucker bag, 

keychain

Postby Speak-Ez on Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:51 am

Let me first cover the grim details of the latest casualty figures and for that I will point everyone to this story posted most recently, of many out there:

https://www.greensboro.com/ap/us_world/ ... ed630.html

Aug 11, 2018 (I believe this is a timestamp on the east coast of the U.S.)

This is the paragraph regarding the death toll so far:

"The National Disaster Mitigation Agency said on Saturday that 387 people died, jumping from the 321 it reported the previous day, as search and rescue teams continued to sift through the rubble and people already buried by relatives are accounted for."

As for the questions regarding the depth of the quake I will provide three links and also the results I found when I did this research a few days ago. That might be why the second link (Source Two) may no longer have those numbered as 3 and 4 as they were when I did the research, but the depth listed there is 18km deep.

Because of this strange situation of a respected news source, the BBC, showing a different statistic than that which the USGS is giving the public we should look at as many sources of information as possible to try and figure this out. Depth is a vital piece of information when one gives consideration to the damage done on the surface.

Source One: https://www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/ea ... ?id=704824
Magnitude Mw 6.9
Region LOMBOK REGION, INDONESIA
Date time 2018-08-05 11:46:37.3 UTC
Location 8.32 S ; 116.46 E
Depth 33 km
Distances 426 km E of Surabaya, Indonesia / pop: 2,375,000 / local time: 18:46:37.3 2018-08-05
48 km NE of Mataram, Indonesia / pop: 319,000 / local time: 19:46:37.3 2018-08-05

Source Two: http://www.bmkg.go.id/gempabumi/gempabumi-terkini.bmkg
#3 05-Aug-18
18:46:35 WIB -8.37 116.48 7.0 15 Km 18 km BaratLaut LOMBOKTIMUR-NTB
#4 05-Aug-18
18:46:35 WIB -8.37 116.48 7.0 15 Km 18 km BaratLaut LOMBOKTIMUR-NTB

Source Three: http://geofon.gfz-potsdam.de/eqinfo/list.php
2018-08-05 11:46:34 6.9 8.33°S 116.48°E 13 M MT Sumbawa Region, Indonesia
________Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something.________
Speak-Ez
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to In the News