Unique homes around the world

In the News

Re: Unique homes around the world

Postby smitty on Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:54 pm

Nothing unique in this part of the Okanagan valley. Some chap built a half round house & I do not think it sells well, possibly a few rentals. Now another build a fully round house & to my knowledge it is starting to fall apart, but it's unique form has lost any interest.

Most seem to prefer a normal home with half basement or full basement like what I live in due to the hot weather an air conditioner is not needed.
smitty

Postby deja vu on Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:50 pm

How about a house boat? Not for everyone and you definately shouldn't be prone to sea sickness.

Link to the many photos of one houseboat in particular. You have to scroll down that page to see the images:

http://www.househunting.ca/vancouversun ... l?tab=PHOT
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby deja vu on Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:14 pm

This may be one of the most unique. If you have the cash you could own what was once known as The Lookout Mountain Air Force Station situated in the Hollywood Hills. It even comes with it's own bomb shelter.

http://realestate.aol.com/blog/2011/06/ ... d-at-6-3m/

We just love the mystery and intrigue that surrounds this 53,000-square foot (yes, you read that right) Hollywood Hills house that once functioned as a secret research facility for the military. Now a private residence, it is listed for sale at $6.3 million.

This is one of those legendary properties where it's hard to say which parts of the legend are true and which have grown in a way that only Hollywood can grow stories. But according to Sotheby's listing agent Brett Lawyer and some Internet sites, the Lookout Mountain Air Force Station was built in 1941 as the main WWII West Coast air-defense and radar-communications headquarters. It was turned into a research facility for the atom bomb by the military a few years later. Top generals and consultants worked here and visited, and it was all very hush-hush. Enter James Bond, stage left.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby deja vu on Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:25 pm

Since the images made the news, it has been the center of controversy because of it's unique design. Some that lost loved ones in the 9/11 disaster see the blasts all over again.

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20 ... cts-design

deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby deja vu on Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:36 pm

Vancouver’s historic Burns Block has been refitted with Canada’s smallest self-contained apartments, a development on the cutting edge of the rental-housing market. All 30 new suites are between 226 and 291 square feet with a kitchen — minus the oven — and a full bathroom.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Downto ... story.html

The dishwasher isn't a necessity, a stove would have fit into that space. One thing for sure the insulation will be almost non existant, so you will hear every sound your neighbour makes.

Image Image
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby yukon on Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:05 pm

With trepidation, they returned to the scene early the next morning. Not only was their house destroyed but Natale’s garage workshop, from which he ran a business welding parts for planes and cars and making decorative metalwork, was also in ruins. Family treasures, like the English ceramic pitcher they had displayed at their engagement dinner, were history. And debris was everywhere. "It was nauseating to have all your personal stuff blowing around. You feel so exposed," says Ren, recounting how she found wet and tattered wedding photos on the ground. Later a neighbor showed up with Ren’s aesthetician’s license, which had landed in his yard. (She is a skin therapist at a day spa.)

Ren and Natale were left with little more than the belongings that they had had with them the night before. "Thank goodness it was my birthday, so I was wearing clothes I actually liked," she says, half joking.

http://www.realsimple.com/work-life/lif ... page2.html

A 351 square foot home. This couple have shown it can be done when you think outside of the box. They survived a fire and didn't have to leave their property to find a new one. Thanks to a lot of work and planning, two old buildings have come alive as a new home.
The Moose sees all, hears all, knows it all. Listen to your
local moose, Folks!
yukon

Postby rocks on Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:14 pm

Courtesy of the BBC News.

1.Hope they converted the bathrooms in the Airplane and provide more privacy.

2. I'm not afraid of heights, but I have seen those Cranes topple in high winds. Never get me on one of them.

3. The Drain Pipe room has got to be a killer in the summer with the sun beating down. AC may not help keep it cool

A plane with plenty of legroom

For travellers who are used to sleeping with their heads pressed against the airplane seat in front of them, Stockholm’s Jumbo Jet is a welcomed alternative. The converted aeroplane has a variety of room categories, ranging from quad dormitories to a luxury honeymoon suite in the cockpit.

Sleep in an industrial tower

Converted from an old dockside crane, the Harbour Crane in the Netherlands is now a high end hideaway for two. After a two-year renovation, the industrial tower stands with grace overlooking the Harlingen Harbour and Wadden Sea and is a photogenic landmark in its own right.

A sparse space to snooze

Austria’s dasparkhotel is a minimalist’s alternative to the chain hotels of everyday travel. Constructed from repurposed drain pipes, dasparkhotel transcends the usual conception of a hotel and offers only what is needed: somewhere to sleep and a “pay as you wish” system.

Thinking outside of the BOX - what BOX?
rocks

Postby deja vu on Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:19 pm

Living underground is not for everybody, but It's commonplace in the Australian Outback. There is a small town(Coober Pedy) that is only on the map because of Opal mining in the area. Because of the extreme daytime heat most live underground.

I don't know if I could. I guess it would depend on how much natural light you get at the front of the cave you build in. I came across these images and the last one is a doozie. Watch where you walk can mean the difference between life and death.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coober_Pedy

deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby deja vu on Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:43 pm

courtesy of Yahoo news:

When you picture your dream home, what comes to mind? For most people, the inside of an airplane is the furthest thing from the image of bliss that pops into their heads. For Bruce Campbell of Oregon, his dream home is a Boeing 727-200. A few years ago Campbell purchased the aircraft for $100,000 and decided to gut it and create a living space. The airplane home, which still needs renovations to make it completely habitable, has running water and three restrooms (one of which is in working condition). It is also wired for electricity. While there is a shower, figuring out how to install plumbing remains a challenge. It also lacks sufficient privacy. Since the aircraft is in the woods, Campbell is not too concerned about the neighbors peeping in.

Campbell says his "experiment" to turn a plane into a home is not for everyone, but he "absolutely loves it." All the seats have been removed from the main cabin, so there's ample room to move around. He's also created a website that highlights different features of the home. So why not live in a more traditional brick or wood home? Campbell says, "Wood is in my view a terrible building material. It biodegrades. It's termite chow, or it's firewood. Retired airliners are profoundly well-designed." For entertainment, Campbell listens to his iPod, because there is no TV or radio in the plane. He also spends time in the cockpit, saying it has a bit of "magic" about it. How many other people can say that they have a cockpit in their dream home?

Why not, it's cheaper than buying a house and if your handy, it's a plus. There is probably a lot of space to work with once the seats, galley kitchens and such are removed. The finished product could be very comfortable. Security certainly wouldn't be as much of an issue.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby trailblaze on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:42 pm

An Austrian company has come up with the ultimate getaway for wealthy people who like their privacy--a man-made private island that can be anchored anywhere in the world.

The floating masses, called ORSOS Islands, are priced at $6.5 million each and will take around 18 months to construct, according to the company.

http://www.businessinsider.com/orsos-ma ... on-2012-6#

Island? Please, it's just a glorified upscale houseboat. Only thing missing is the engine, but still a rich version of a houseboat. Nice, but I wonder how it would hold up in rough seas. Even in protected bays, the water can cause a problem during a storm. This is definitely over the top ridiculous.

trailblaze

PreviousNext

Return to In the News