Active Weather News

In the News
fishandchips

Re: Active Weather News

Post by fishandchips » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:51 pm

2008-11-13 13:13
Venice under water
St Mark's soaked as rain joins tides

(ANSA) - Venice, November 13 - Venice was hit by 'acqua alta' (high water) for the second day in a row on Thursday.

The sea level rose to 104 centimetres above normal, affecting 3% of the city, officials said.

At that level, large swathes of low-lying areas of the city are left awash including Piazza San Marco, Venice's famed central square.

The level was even higher in St Mark's Square because of heavy rain, officials said.
http://www.ansa.it/site/notizie/awnplus ... 01203.html

Before that conference in Vatican City about two weeks ago, Venice had been hit by rains harder than normal. The weather is still affecting Venice now.
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.

smitty

Post by smitty » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:36 pm

I see someone got a good shot of the Martin Mars & in real live it is GIGAANTIC though on its last legs, for it was built for WWII only that faded out & so prior firm(s) purchased it & make it into a waterbomver all these yrs. Actuall another is being used for parts.

You should put the search engine to use & ask for information on the Bombardier waterbomber for it outdid other makers in the USA, Russia to some other countries and is being purcased by coutries in Europe to all over the world. It is really a unique aircraft with it high profile wings to two in line turbor prop motors, that can scoop down to land ona small river (so much at home with the large & long Okanagan Lake in B.C.) to take up water in a scooping method & mix it with the proer chemicals or no chemicals all as long as there is enought space for their wings & just so much more.

I wanted to ask the crews of one of the above if I could look inside, but like a fire truck in ACTION I would never ask someone to tell me what was this or that or whatever FOR several weeks around three to six of the above water-bombers were on Penticton airport, but I knew the crews were RESTING & so next thing to a fire-truck in action to my outlook.

Rhet-or-Ric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Rhet-or-Ric » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:56 pm

Smitty wrote:I see someone got a good shot of the Martin Mars & in real live it is GIGAANTIC though on its last legs, for it was built for WWII only that faded out & so prior firm(s) purchased it & make it into a waterbomver all these yrs. Actuall another is being used for parts.

You should put the search engine to use & ask for information on the Bombardier waterbomber for it outdid other makers in the USA, Russia to some other countries and is being purcased by coutries in Europe to all over the world. It is really a unique aircraft with it high profile wings to two in line turbor prop motors, that can scoop down to land ona small river (so much at home with the large & long Okanagan Lake in B.C.) to take up water in a scooping method & mix it with the proer chemicals or no chemicals all as long as there is enought space for their wings & just so much more.

>
>
Best way to do that, Smitty, is go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CL-415 for the Bombardier 415 and then the Canadair CL-215 would just be a change of the last tag -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CL-415

I have finally started to trust the Wikipedia. That system seems to actually work for all except very recent events when I think rumors get posted too often as fact.

Anyway, I hope those links work.

EDIT: Yes they do work. I also realized, belatedly, we can add the tag for the Martin Mars and get this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Mars

The Eyes Have It.

smitty

Post by smitty » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:38 pm

Thank you Rhet-or-Ric & editor. They all work & possibly some will take a closer look. Haveing seen that massive Martin Mars at work or just a few hundred feet above me, to the Bobardier 415s constantly at work-------it is really something to see. Almost like an air show only in real life.

There is a four engine American water bomber, stip landing only, that I have seen to actually pull out of a dive, to dump its load, with me positive the aircraft would crash. That is one of the interesting things in seeing these water-bombers in REAL LIFE along with REAL ACTION. I think the pilot & co-pilot, of one of the same four engine water bombers, were killed during the '03 wild forest fire though tack on one chopper pilot as well.

Changing the subject a bit was shorty after the '03 forest fire. Being this is also cattle country, but of interest a farmer would travel out, AFTER some days of the fire along with horse in a trailer & a dog in the cab of the truck. There he would let his dog do the searching & it would indicate if the burned grass & soil was to hot or not hot. This was his method to to search to find his cattle, for had the dog noted the heat they would avoid that area for the hoofs of his horse to cattle would have suffered if he moved horse & cattle over the heat.

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:04 pm

Heavy lake-effect snow blasts Great Lakes
Updated 2h 34m ago
By Christopher Millette, AP

A snowman with a message stands in Gannon University in Erie, Pa., early Monday morning. Erie received about five inches of good snowman and snowball-making snow Sunday night.

CONSTABLEVILLE, N.Y. (AP) — A blast of cold wind spread snow along the Great Lakes from Michigan to New York on Monday, dumping 2 feet on this central New York town.
Snow doesn't usually fall this early in Constableville, librarian Dorothy Valenti said.

"Yesterday morning we had none. So it's quite a transition to go from no snow to all this. When you open the door, it's amazing," she said in a telephone interview. "It's strange to have a snow day before Thanksgiving."
http://www.usatoday.com/weather/storms/ ... snow_N.htm

Aside from flurries on my side of the Great Lakes (though some kilometres from them), no major pile of snow has accumulated. This snowman is bringing back memories of a couple of memorable snow dumps from early 2008--Great Lakes Effect Snow, of course.
80s pop music fan here!

dreamon

Post by dreamon » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:52 pm

A bonfire built by a group of young adults caused a weekend wildfire in Santa Barbara that destroyed
210 homes, including multimillion dollar mansions, and injured more than two dozen people,
authorities said Tuesday.

An anonymous tip led to the discovery that 10 college students had gathered for a late night hangout
at an abandoned property where the fire originated, Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown said.
He declined to say which college the students attended.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,454385,00.html

They should not get off scott free. The cost is enormous, people hurt and I hope they do not let them
off the hook. Their fun cost people their homes, jobs and for some injuries.

The universe is big It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely
impossible things just happen and we call them miracles

fishandchips

Post by fishandchips » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:34 pm

Maritimes hit with massive winter storm
Nov 22, 2008 12:07 PM

THE CANADIAN PRESS

HALIFAX–In a city where Christmases are often wet and green, many Haligonians were unprepared for a late-fall blast of winter that clogged roads, disrupted travel and knocked out power to thousands of people in the region Saturday.

"I guess I should have bought a shovel last night," quipped a young man as he used a frying pan to dig out his car from a large drift.

Few cars were on the street after 30 centimetres of snow fell on the city and parts of Nova Scotia, and at least 20 centimetres on southeastern New Brunswick.

An estimated 11,200 homes and businesses were without power at dawn in parts of Nova Scotia and into New Brunswick.
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/541867

More snow for an area that gets water in many forms-rains, floods, leftover hurricanes, snowstorms. These past few years have been consistently wet in some way for Maritimes.

deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by deja vu » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:07 am

Icy conditions after UK snowfalls

Snow has fallen across much of the UK, with drivers being warned to beware of black ice
on the roads.

Snow and freezing rain from the Arctic hit Britain overnight but it has since largely stopped,
with milder weather towards the west and spreading east.

However, there remains a risk of widespread ice on roads and pavements, particularly in East Anglia.

BBC weather forecaster Phil Avery said Northern Ireland, west Wales and west Cornwall should
expect severe gales.

A Met Office severe weather warning for icy roads is in force across the affected areas of the UK, i
ncluding Cambridgeshire, East Riding of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7743805.stm

Seems that a lot are getting snow but not in my neck of the woods. Its getting colder, its damp and
expecting rain this coming week. But no snow in sight. :cry:
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio

fishandchips

Post by fishandchips » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:36 pm

Open pubs or other gathering spots will be useful for the motorists who have to travel around today. They offer drivers a chance to warm up, get some news, and perhaps obtain some warm drink and food before continuing on.

Gas stations are quite attractive in bad weather--antifreeze is usually sold along with candy or chips or maps (you never know when you suddenly need one-check copyright date inside the front cover).

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:42 pm

Rainy forecast means mudslide threat in burn areasBased on the direction of the approaching storm, authorities predict south-facing slopes will be hardest hit.
By James Wagner
November 24, 2008
Rain is expected to reach Southern California tonight,raising fears among fire authorities over mudslides further damaging hillside communities already ravaged by this month's wildfires. .

The National Weather Service issued a weather warning for Southern California, with forecasters predicting as much as 2 inches of rain in mountain areas in Los Angeles and Orange counties and elsewhere.

The heaviest rains are expected early Tuesday and continuing through Wednesday, letting up briefly on Thanksgiving, officials said.

Based on the direction of the coming storm, forecasters are predicting that south-facing slopes will be hardest hit. Communities along the coast and in the region's valleys can expect about half an inch; hilly areas can expect more.
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... 5945.story

Also, people will need to remind children to stay out of waterways in case fast-moving waters sweep them away. Make the children responsible for some tasks at home, so they don't duck out the door to the stream/ravine.
80s pop music fan here!