The final countdown?

Science & Technology

Re: The final countdown?

Postby fishandchips on Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:00 pm

Hearing about how cold that collider is, with the changing weather, and all the noise about flu this and that, I need brightness, warmth, comfort and tea!! Buttered toast will make the world seem like it is rotating on its axis as it should, not wobbling over activity on the earth's crust or splintering from collider chill.
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby smitty on Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:16 pm

Helped myself as I had a supper of two pieces of Back Bacon, several pieces of toast, two eggs, orange juice, some orange Marmalade, & small dish of peaches from a tin. That tin of peaches should do me for a week.

While it may sound a bit like b/fast to you, well being a bachelor it is my doing rather then going down to a greasy spoon to have a hamburger & some chips that I have not had since '76.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:18 pm

Those peaches sound delicious. I enjoy tea and toast at night on the rare occasion. Usually tea is on its own (decaf) or with a baked item.

I don't know when I went off fried eggs as a regular breakfast. A BLT sandwich is quite a treat anytime of the day.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:54 pm

Since the collider is one of the coldest places, has any scientist figured out how many icy treats can be made using the cold of the collider? Something to pass the waiting time, I suppose.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:32 pm

CERN drives next IT revolution with 'the Grid'
by Marcus Berry
November 2, 2009 | 12:28
To improve data crunching capabilities when the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) reaches full power in a few weeks time, the European Organisation for Nuclear Research (CERN) has been driving what some experts are labelling as the next revolution in Internet technology. Similar to "cloud" computing, CERN's computers link with tens of thousands of PCs and over a hundred data storage systems all over the world. The new network is simply known as "the Grid".
http://www.swisster.ch/news/science-tech/cern-drives-next-it-revolution-with-grid.html
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby deja vu on Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:16 pm

GENEVA - Scientists are in the process of restarting a giant particle collider built to reproduce the conditions of the big bang, Europe’s CERN physics research center said Friday. After a year's delay, the scientists hope to have beams of protons circulating all the way through the Large Hadron Collider’s 17-mile-wide (27-kilometer-wide) underground ring in both directions by early Saturday, and then accelerate them this weekend, CERN spokesman James Gillies said.

"At the moment they're putting beams down in the Large Hadron Collider, and as the night goes on they'll take the beams through and start circulating them," he told Reuters. CERN reported that beams were fully circulating in the clockwise direction, and that preparations were being made to send beams counterclockwise as well.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34068157/ns ... e-science/

Time will tell if tall the glitches are corrected. I wonder what the year's delay cost.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby smitty on Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:39 pm

To me, being a simple human being finding it hard to make ends meet said collider is ANOTHER toy the scientists & Govts (tax payers money) all over threw money in to prove something that has nothing to do with food, water, weather, income & human lives at this present time.

Sorry but to me that is what it is for in reality it is NOT doing anything good for any of the above reasons, not to mention more that I have failed to mention. Try to sell it to native people in Africa or many islands & they will not understand what good it dows THEM.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:01 pm

That's funny-the collider staff went home early on Friday and got called back as startup work was done ahead of schedule.
Scientists stunned by quick restart of European Big Bang machine after year of repairs
Sat Nov 21, 12:39 PM
By Alexander G. Higgins, The Associated Press

GENEVA - Scientists moved Saturday to prepare the world's largest atom smasher for exploring the depths of matter after successfully restarting the $10 billion machine following more than a year of repairs.

The nuclear physicists working on the Large Hadron Collider were surprised that they could so quickly get beams of protons whizzing near the speed of light during the restart late Friday, said James Gillies, spokesman for the European Organization for Nuclear Research.

The machine was heavily damaged by a simple electrical fault in September last year. Some scientists had gone home early Friday and had to be called back as the project jumped ahead, Gillies said. http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/091121/science/science_eu_sci_big_bang_machine

Having a detailed list of startup procedures paid off to get the device ready for attempt two of the experiment.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:12 pm

In my feeble mind it seems like some scientists was to win Nobel awards to name it for the waste of money on what they feel is their theory. No I really cannot see the reason for said waste of money. The Western Countries in this world are simply going at things way to fast while others suffer.

How many of you had a computer at home in the late 40s? Then look at the expansion as of to date & forget the big bang. To look at the suffering going on in our countries to those in some of the other more native countries to also things like lack of water or to much. Learning how to supply water, to food to so much is more then this big bang that 99% of us humans cannot understand why so much money must be spent on the beliefs of some scientists.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:09 pm

A blurb on the collider from the weekend's big activity:
CERN scientists monitor collisions ©CERN
CERN smashes particles in collider machine
by Giles Broom
November 24, 2009 | 10:54
Scientists from the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) smash two beams of protons together for the first time around the Large Hadron Collider, a 26-kilometre circular underground tunnel straddling the Geneva-France border. The low-energy collisions are monitored by sophisticated detector machines in the latest successful step forward in the multi-billion-franc physics experiment.
http://www.swisster.ch/news/science-tech/cern-smashes-particles-collider-machine.html

From a Canadian paper:
Atom smasher bounces back
Alexander G. Higgins

Geneva — Associated Press
Published on Tuesday, Nov. 24, 2009 12:17PM EST

Last updated on Tuesday, Nov. 24, 2009 12:21PM EST

The world's largest atom smasher used its accelerator today to speed up proton beams for the first time as scientists moved ahead in efforts to learn more about the universe. The $10 billion (U.S.) Large Hadron Collider showed it could raise the energy of the proton beams whizzing around the massive machine by an initial 20 per cent. “It was just a preliminary test,” said James Gillies, spokesman for the European Organization for Nuclear Research, also known as CERN. “It's all going very well.”

Today's step indicated further good news for the collider since months of repairs following its spectacular collapse last year. The latest phase began Friday night when the first proton beams circulated each way around the 27-kilometre tunnel under the Swiss-French border.

The operators then got the beams to run simultaneously in opposite directions through fire-hose-sized pipes 11,000 times a second around the ring, zooming by at nearly the speed of light through temperatures colder than outer space.http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/science/atom-smasher-bounces-back/article1375662/
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

PreviousNext

Return to Science & Technology