How Things Move

Science & Technology

How Things Move

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:46 pm

Or rather, how do they do that? Like move a plane (which is not flying) from one spot to another?

April 16, 2009

Pictures of the Day

Dropping in: an Mi26 helicopter lowers a mothballed Tu134 airliner at the Emergency Situations Ministry training centre near St. Petersburg, Russia. The plane was taken out of service and carried from Pulkovo airport in the city to the centre to train ministry forces for rescue and crash operations. (Dmitry Lovetsky/AP)
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Re: How Things Move

Postby alohasand on Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:55 pm

How does a person get the training on strapping a plane for helicopter transport? Flight school? Mechanical program?
Staycation=stay at home and do fun things inexpensively.
alohasand

Postby smitty on Sat May 16, 2009 2:00 pm

Possible some might have learned in moving a lot of fallen logs in the forest areas to also something smaller but still & heavy at the start. Though probably some good training is being offered to anyone wanting to upgrade their position of a chopper pilot or even crew. They most be doing the training chopper rescue crews out in the seas for rescue work, to choppers watching out for sailing people to fast powered boats in a race---seems quite normal these days..

Mind you I only type as on that has never had a chance to even ride in a chopper. Was given the chance, when warming up on for a few mintes, only as the chopper was coming down the wind cought it & damage was done to its blade.

It is like most forms of sports to many means of other mechanical training in THAT a person must learn from the instructor or Coach.

True no one tought me to ride a m/c for that was learned the hard way right after WWII & still wonder how I made it through those self-tought feats, but did learn from others in skiing competition, to fellow speedskaters & those older to coaching to fellow mountain climbers to Amateur Wrestling for I was like on street fighting at 17 yrs of age & one old boy in his 40s took me under his wing to teach me not only how to wrestle, but things not allowed & in later yrs I was a certified Amateur Wrestling Coach for some 15 yrs. You cannot pick up many of the above from pages in a book, but on the ice, the snow, to the mountains to matts for Amatuer Wrestling.

Basically you cannot don the same gear as some of the Expert Class competitors & expect to compete with or against them WITHOUT previously being trained by coaches from more junior teams.

Sort of like learning to ride a motorcycle is actually best to take a course in the same city or town as learning on your own is basically impossible.
smitty

Postby Speak1 on Sat May 16, 2009 5:32 pm

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

alohasand wrote:How does a person get the training on strapping a plane for helicopter transport? Flight school? Mechanical program?

Aviation tech schools. Lots of them around the world. It's called sling loading.

Biggest chopper we had a very long time ago was what we called "The Crane".

In fact, I think what Smitty was writing about is what a lot of Cranes went and did, haul logs.

Good gosh, I can't remember for sure, but maybe they were the CH-54. My, my, the old brain doesn't work so well anymore. But I'll bet it's on the Net some place. I think I'll look.

That was a heck of a chopper.

EDIT: Yep, I had it right. Surprise, surprise. Can't fit the picture here, but here's a link >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sikor ... ueys_c.jpg

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
Speak1

Postby pysanky on Sun May 17, 2009 4:24 pm

Sikorsky helicopter looks half missing--like in science-fiction movie. Lifting two other helicopters-strong nerves for that job.
Happy New Year-2015 now on scene.
pysanky

Postby Speak1 on Sun May 17, 2009 8:14 pm

pysanky wrote:Sikorsky helicopter looks half missing--like in science-fiction movie. Lifting two other helicopters-strong nerves for that job.

There used to be a box that fit nice and snugly into that area between the legs. I'm not sure if it was originally built just for the purpose, but they could carry a very well equipped field hospital inside that box. Come into a location/LZ, set down, release the box, pull up, presto -- a hospital. I seem to remember the box ended up being used for other purposes, but I do believe the first I ever heard it was expressly for hauling around the field hospital, but I might be wrong on that. I guess the wiki would have the information, but I wonder how many of us there are that remember that frequent the wiki pages. Ah heck, probably quite a few. It wasn't that long ago, was it?

Anyway, that's what I remember.

I also seem to remember that bird was used to break some altitude records in its time. No sling load, no box, and you have a lot of power to climb, and climb, and climb. They love to break records in aviation.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
Speak1

Postby CielOnTap on Sat May 30, 2009 6:13 pm

Going back to history for this post--how the German aviation industry in WWII tried to avoid being bombed out.

05/28/2009
The Story of Hitler's 'Miracle Weapon'
By Uli Suckert

At the very end of World War II, Nazi dictator Adolf Hitler still hoped that state-of-the-art technology could turn the tide in his favor. One of those projects, the Messerschmitt jet fighter, found a home in a remote corner of eastern Germany. But it was too late.
Photo gallery

It took four and a half years, but finally, on March 20, 1944, World War II -- and more specifically, the armaments industry -- came to a remote corner of eastern Germany called the Lausitz. As the Allies flew an ever-increasing number of air raids over Germany's industrial and urban centers, large weapons factories in Nazi Germany began an exhaustive search for suitable places to relocate -- sites as inconspicuous and isolated as possible. Indeed, by 1943, Hermann Göring, commander of the Luftwaffe, had already forged plans to relocate the aviation industry to areas the Allies were unlikely to bomb.

It took a year, but then Junkers, an airplane and engine manufacturer from Dessau, moved into a factory belonging to the Moras Brothers textile company in Zittau, which today is located near Germany's border with Poland and the Czech Republic.
http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,626950,00.html
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby burnt fare on Sat May 30, 2009 9:03 pm

Sometimes, history ought to remain history for lesson purposes but not for repeating. The forced labour in the plane factory probably were driven to death to get the planes going-so little rest and food possibly.
Burger time
burnt fare

Postby CielOnTap on Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:03 pm

The Emirates Airlines Airbus 380 double-decker plane made its first appearance in Toronto today. Even during the flight, the pilot was getting questions from other pilots in the same area.

En route from Dubai to New York, he approached the entry point of the transoceanic track over the western coast of Ireland at the same time as three other commercial jetliners, each flying at different flight levels.

Because of the A380’s size, airspeed and tendency to create significant wake turbulence, Heino manoeuvred out of the way and in so doing gave the other pilots a rare in-flight glimpse of the plane nicknamed "superjumbo," which is one of only 14 in the world.

The air-to-air radio immediately began to crackle inside the A380’s cavernous cockpit.

Rest of the story and the video is here: http://www.thestar.com/travel/article/643689
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:04 pm

A driver with a burning car drove it into a river in a bid to extinguish it. Good idea, except for the part where the driver ran several red lights to reach the river.

Car engulfed in flames drives into river
June 2, 2009
By Michael Jiggins, Brockville Recorder & Times

The gutted interior of a Honda Civic driven off the Home Street boat ramp on Monday is revealed as it emerges from the St. Lawrence River. The female driver and lone occupant of the car is being treated for burns in Toronto's Sunnybrook Hospital. (Michael Jiggins/Sun Media)

BROCKVILLE, Ont. -- Horrified onlookers followed a burning car Monday afternoon as it sped through red lights toward the Home Street boat ramp and plunged into the St. Lawrence River.

The woman driver and lone occupant of the vehicle managed to free herself from the still-burning car after it crashed into the river.

She was being treated last night for injuries at the Sunnybrook Hospital burn unit in Toronto.
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2009/06/02/9650521-sun.html
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Next

Return to Science & Technology