How Things Move

Science & Technology

Re: How Things Move

Postby fishandchips on Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:43 pm

A development in geoscience was made by Italians--some kind of particles have been observed that can help with earthquake and volcano studies.

Italians first to spot geo-neutrinos
'Ghost particles' could help solve earthquake, volcano riddles
02 March, 17:17

(ANSA) - Rome, March 2 - Ghost-like particles long thought to arise from the churning magma around the Earth's core have been observed for the first time by scientists at an underground laboratory in central Italy.

Published Tuesday on Cornell University's online physics journal, arXiv.org, the study marks the first ever detection of geo-neutrinos, elusive particles that have almost no mass and move seamlessly through matter. "This experiment is the beginning of a new era in our study of the mechanisms at work in the planet's interior," said Gianpaolo Bellini, who led the team of researchers at the Gran Sasso particle physics laboratory in Abruzzo. http://www.ansa.it/web/notizie/rubriche/english/2010/03/02/visualizza_new.html_1709878779.html
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby smitty on Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:56 pm

This is sort of like reading a Science Ficton book as it is really a bit to hard to fathom, but we are adults & possibly these Italians might have found something no one has knowen for simply thousands & thousands of generations.
smitty

Postby pysanky on Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:47 pm

For International Women's Day on March 8--list of women inventors (7) who made useful things. Never knew 6 of 7 of them were invented by women.

http://money.ca.msn.com/savings-debt/gallery/forbes/gallery.aspx?cp-documentid=23583057
Happy New Year-2015 now on scene.
pysanky

Postby smitty on Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:54 pm

Some good bit of inventing. Some yrs back one could always tell who had a newly born child, by all the uniform, in size cotton sheets, hanging on the clothing line to dry after washing.

NOW is someone would come up with the idea of how to dispose of the disposable diapers THAT would be desired all over the world for they do take up a maze of space in the local garbage dumps, probably more then other items scooted off to the garbage dump.

My parents fell for the automatic dish washer, only it kept on breaking down, electrically & costing a lot of money basically every year till my Mother asked me to dig in & help to where since '91 I have been washing my own dishes & drying them like I use to on the CNR dining car I worked in while 14 yrs of age AND no one took in the matter of my age.

Unfortrunately our Gun Club has an automatic dish washer in mind only once in the Autumn do we have a Clean Up day & a warm well cooked roast, vegitables. If others use the above then they will only turn it on for a few coffee mugs, which is a waste in water, soap, electricity & the fact that an electric powered dish washer requires continual servicing otherwise it will require someone to come in at a cost to correct the errors.

Obviously I do my own washing & drying of dishes at home after breakfast to also supper.

As for a bra & being a man I do not wear one, but I can see them in use of the "halter" for for those in sports. The Cdn Armed Forces still cannot come out with all the variations the different females need or want to have SO the poor gals have to buy their own.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:33 pm

In Dubai, the state of The World is in dispute

By by W.G. Dunlop | AFP News – Fri, 28 Jan 6:23 AM EST
A cluster of 300 artificial islands off Dubai's coast in the shape of a global map is stable, its developer Nakheel insists, despite a court claim alleging that "The World" was neglected and eroding away.

"There is no issue with the stability of The World islands that are approximately 70 percent sold and handed over," a Nakheel spokesman said when asked about the allegations.

"The island purchasers (have) the responsibility to proceed with their developments in due course," he added.

The islands, many of which represent individual countries and which can only be accessed by boat or helicopter, were meant to be one of the Gulf city-state's crowning developments. The artificial islands of Dubai

Who maintains the islands-the developers or do contractors or the occupants? How does marine and land wildlife interact with the islands? Would the Dubai governmental ministry that oversees the environment have jurisdiction over any islands that are moving or would that be more of a technology ministry concern?
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby pretzels on Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:37 pm

See what the islands look like-the water is too close to the houses in my opinion. Do you see any breakwalls, retaining walls or anything to block water at the beach??

http://www.dubai-architecture.info/DUB-034.htm
Old salt on board.
pretzels

Postby burnt fare on Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:32 pm

Vacation potential for those Palm Islands I can understand. Long-term living--well, I'd want my boat or hydrofoil handy in case of rising water and a dock in front of the house. Maybe some paddles too.

I have to ask if those residents on the islands have pets--some pets can be as anxious as humans about weather.
Burger time
burnt fare

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:57 pm

Reason one for liking older cars without electronic gadgets:

Cars can be hacked and remotely controlled, researchers find
Mar 10, 2011
JOHN MARKOFF
New York Times

With a modest amount of expertise, computer hackers could gain remote access to someone’s car – just as they do to people’s personal computers – and take over the vehicle’s basic functions, including control of its engine, according to a report by computer scientists from the University of California, San Diego, and the University of Washington.

Although no such takeovers have been reported in the real world, the scientists were able to do exactly this in an experiment conducted on a car they bought for the purpose of trying to hack it. Their report, delivered last Friday to the National Academy of Sciences’ Transportation Research Board, described how such unauthorized intrusions could theoretically take place.

Because many of today’s cars contain cellular connections and Bluetooth wireless technology, it is possible for a hacker, working from a remote location, to take control of various features – like the car locks and brakes – as well as to track the vehicle’s location, eavesdrop on its cabin and steal vehicle data, the researchers said. They described a range of potential compromises of car security and safety.http://www.wheels.ca/article/asset/794377

Who would want to buy and to insure a new gadget laden car with voice controls or other electronic features only to risk having the car possibly under the control of someone other than the driver? Would a hacker get the demerit points and fines if lives were lost or property damaged when taking control of such vehicles? Bet that would stump an insurance representative--or the insurance industry will develop an exemption clause for that aspect.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:38 pm

Hamilton, Ontario, will have a small scale airshow at its Warplane Museum during the Father's Day weekend in June. It has been about a decade since an airshow was held at the neighbouring airport (flyhi.com for all you international and national travellers). This will be a chance to see various old planes in one site. Just a note about the shuttles--unless there is information about low-floor shuttles, they may be school buses and that means stairs and padded seats that are hard for two adults to perch on.

Teri Pecoskie
Tue Mar 15 2011
Air show lineup announced
The Hamilton Airshow Returns to Canadian Warplane Heritage. The 2011 event will be held on Father's Day Weekend, June 18-19. CWHM CEO David Rohrer with the Westland Lysander which will be flying in this years airshow.

After a 10-year hiatus, the Hamilton Air Show is returning to John C. Munro Airport this summer.
Good news for aviation aficionados – the Hamilton Air Show is back and boasting a strong lineup.

Returning after a 10-year-hiatus, the two-day show will feature more than a dozen aircraft from the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum, including the famed Lancaster – one of just two of the big Second World War bombers that can still fly. Close to 20 planes will also be brought in from as far away as Texas and Virginia Beach.

The planes will take to the skies June 18 and 19, in unique formations “you won’t see anywhere else in the world,” said museum CEO Dave Rohrer. Featuring strictly vintage military aircraft, it’s also an opportunity for the museum to get back to its roots. http://www.thespec.com/community/article/501785--air-show-lineup-announced
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:42 pm

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/storm_watch_stories3&stormfile=balloon_festival_lifts_off_i_011011?ref=ccbox_news_topstories

It's mesmerizing to see so many hot air balloons in a New Mexico park move in the air! A nine-day festival began on the weekend. You can look for specially-shaped balloons too.

Interested in being in the park and seeing the balloons yourself? There is a website with details.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

PreviousNext

Return to Science & Technology