Recycled homes, one box at a time

Science & Technology

Re: Recycled homes, one box at a time

Postby deja vu on Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:07 pm

270 square feet of living space in a teeny tiny condo. The building is large but the renovation is keeping unit sizes to 270 sq. feet. It gives new meaning to up close and personal. Your neighbours will be within arms reach literally.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/arti ... ouver?bn=1
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby fishandchips on Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:50 pm

The concept won't work for claustrophobes or persons who want soundproofing between units. It would not surprise me if the flip up beds are on opposite sides of common walls. Too much possibility of hearing someone in throes of intimate acts but not able to move one's bed away from the wall.

Did not see anything addressing the above problems. $700/m for such units is not worthwhile.
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby deja vu on Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:18 pm

Lydia Holden will spend the next six months building a home measured in inches, not feet.

Holden, a 22-year-old server at a downtown Italian restaurant, lives in a 300 square-foot attached apartment behind a business in Sutherland, a home smaller than some suburban living rooms.

http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/Woznia ... id=6061633

You have to be really creative to maximize the use of the space, but it can be done. Just shy of 55.000 is not bad I guess and if the downsizing catches on the price could head south as well.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby smitty on Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:16 pm

Yes I have noted cargo boxes, have been used in many places. One was a number of them up this hill in the USA.

That meant all hll had to be parked way down at the bottom & really only the younger people could trot up all the steps to THEIR home while those in their 60s to 80s could not trott up to their home so many steps away, but still good for younger people I can see.

Sort of changing the subject due to the COLD WINTER MONTHS, some people are not keeping the water running down the drain & some are trying to heat the frozen & splltting brass tubing with the bad luck of putting their own home on FIRE.
smitty

Postby burnt fare on Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:16 pm

Yeah, heating frozen pipes with a torch is bad--too much temperature change in a fast time means something breaks. Guess people forget there's a reason you respect water when it freezes-it can expand so we get ice rinks, ice cubes, freezer burn on frozen foods and so on.
Burger time
burnt fare

Postby smitty on Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:44 pm

mousepad wrote:A little too funky for my tastes. It is an award winning apartment complex
in Austria.

http://smh.domain.com.au/best-address-m ... 1crf8.html

smitty

Postby smitty on Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:52 pm

What drives me up the wall, when riding a sportbike up in the two lane roads is that so often we have in front of us one of the massive RVs & the tourists rubbernecking & injoyint it all at 60KPH instead of doing 100KPH to even 110KPH AND a number of 18 wheelers, logging rigs, to smaller 5th wheel units that CANNOT pass the slow line-up.

Once in a while I see a chance & will go down several geart to shoot by them, for there is no oncomming traffic. I can well imagine the drivers are complaining abut the sportbike going by like a rocket.

Still is 3rd or 4th gear at LOW revs what I must use to be one of the line-up when in fact THIS is when those being so slow should pull off to the side of road to let faster 18 wheelers, or logging rigs, or other drivers move ahead at a faster pace which is so sensible.

The real pain is when you find two people with a bit smaller RVs sort of driving togeather pulling another car or truck AND they do not realize this is 100% wrong & will or could be the reason for an accident behind them.
smitty

Postby deja vu on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:16 pm

The couple purchased six shipping containers at $1,500 each in potentially the first private residence made exclusively of that material.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/03/ ... =obnetwork

The problem with the article is it is not the first and wont be the last. Someone didn't do their homework. 1,500 for a container is a good deal and you can think outside of the box when designing a home from them.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby trailblaze on Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:36 pm

Since December, visitors to Sioux Lookout, in northwestern Ontario, have been checking into a brand new hotel, made of old shipping containers — a reused material that's becoming more common in the building world.

"This hotel is actually the largest shipping-container-based hotel in North America," said Joseph Kiss, president of Ladacor, the Calgary-based company that built the hotel.

Kiss said more and more people are seeing the merits of recycled shipping containers as construction materials.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-b ... -1.2936939

Finally it's catching on. An affordable idea when you look at the housing market and first time buyers can not afford to buy into the market with a resource that is easy on
the pocketbook and great for the environment.
trailblaze

Postby deja vu on Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:58 am

How about a recycled office in your backyard?

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/architect-turns-sh ... -1.3260517

Call it thinking inside the box: With the help of a container company, crane operator and some creative designs, New Westminster, B.C., architect Randy Bens transformed a corrugated 40-foot steel shipping box into a 13,000 pound backyard office for his company
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Science & Technology