Recycled homes, one box at a time

Science & Technology

Recycled homes, one box at a time

Postby gossamer on Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:49 pm

CHARLESTON, South Carolina (CNN) -- Magoline Hazelton is used to people driving by her home just to take a look. She's also known as the "house lady" by her fellow residents in North Charleston, South Carolina.

From the outside, Hazelton's home doesn't seem much different from the rest of the neighborhood. But there's one big difference. Her house is made from cargo shipping containers. Using containers to build homes has increasingly become a trend in the past several years because it can be cheaper and faster than using traditional construction methods. There are also plenty of containers at most major ports.

About 18 million containers are used worldwide to transport a variety of everyday products, such as cars, toys and food. Because the United States imports more than it exports, many containers end up stacked at ports.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/06/12/recy ... index.html

http://www.thegreenestdollar.com/2009/0 ... ing-crate/

A fantastic idea. Well built housing for less then regular housing and lasts a lot longer. I would assume that the weight of these crates would offer more protection in a bad storm.
Welcome to my web!
gossamer

Re: Recycled homes, one box at a time

Postby smitty on Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:59 am

I think one chap in Canada had this idea out of making suites out of similir box-cars that would be several floors in height. How the rest was to go I really do not know, but one has to wonder, along with plumbing, electricity, to so much more.

I think he was quite peeved off when the city or town council would go for is idea.
smitty

Postby alohasand on Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:18 pm

What about soundproofing? Yes, the boxes are built but empty metal still echoes. Wouldn't be glorious to know that during a headache or when ill or vibrations from a neighbour's deck job hit the exterior of the box. Municipal laws govern height of structures as would zoning laws. Your neighbours will argue aboue appearances and their impact on their property values.
Staycation=stay at home and do fun things inexpensively.
alohasand

Postby deja vu on Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:44 pm

From what I read its no different than a regular house. You can insulate, drywall, put siding on the outside, a regular roof. The pictures showed some with siding or brick and you cant tell them apart from a wood built house.

I think its a great alternative.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:35 pm

An image of a container ship from an article. The Amazing Race used cargo containers as part of last year's finale--some code on the containers had to be found or contestants went to the beach to move a boat over logs to the water.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby dreamon on Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:16 am

The beginning and then the end result:

TRAVELODGE HOTEL MADE FROM SHIPPING CONTAINERS

Travelodge recently opened a hotel in Uxbridge, England that is constructed entirely from prefabricated shipping containers. The completed design uses eighty-six containers of various sizes that were retrofitted into bedrooms and bolted together onsite. The exterior has been clad and fitted with windows, thus converting the assemblage into a seamless 120-bedroom hotel. Verbus Systems estimates that the structure’s prefab composition saved the hotel chain more than half a million pounds and at least 10 weeks of construction.

http://www.inhabitat.com/2008/08/22/tra ... ner-hotel/

Rooms started at 19 english pounds a night. That is roughly 31.00 US, 34.00 Canadian and 22. Euros. A fantastic deal since most hotels start at over 100.00 a night.

The universe is big It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely
impossible things just happen and we call them miracles
dreamon

Postby smitty on Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:18 pm

Well apparently in Montreal Que area they have taken a liking to the use of carrier boxes for homes. Must admit I am questionable, but if sticking out in different directions it does look a bit more sensible then simply rows & rows of them on top of more rows & rows of them in the prior chaps mind.

It is said that they are properly insulated & such, but I tend to wonder and in 20 or 40 yrs will the same home still be safe. I think of a farm I purchased in the Okanagan Valley in 1960, with a home built in 1912 & while I had to make some changes in sewage, to plumbing to electricity, to heating, to change of some parts of the house I really did love that home we left in 1978 to this what I call Match Box home that is nothing compared to the much older one, made of better material in my mind.
smitty

Postby deja vu on Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:03 pm

Not your cup of tea, how about a YURT? They are becoming popular in North America, not just for a place to stay on vacation but also to live in year round. I saw a program on them and in N.America they can be very basic to very comfortable. Bathroom, kitchen, fireplace, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yurt

Image Image
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby deja vu on Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:22 pm

NEW ORLEANS - A house capable of floating atop rising floodwaters made its debut Tuesday in New Orleans alongside more than a dozen other homes built through actor Brad Pitt's Make It Right Foundation.

Called the FLOAT House, the unique home aims to answer the challenge posed by the Big Easy's flood risk, starkly illustrated by the rising waters of Hurricane Katrina in 2005. "I wanted to float it down the Mississippi River to New Orleans," architect Thom Mayne said with a chuckle while in New Orleans for Tuesday's event. Instead, the home was shipped in pieces from Los Angeles, where it had been constructed on UCLA's campus.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33199555/ns/us_news-life/

Environmentally friendly, recycled materials, etc. This is a great idea and I hope it lives up to its reputation. Too many people lost their lives, lost their homes.

Ordinary houses wont cut it any more, thinking outside of the box is what needed. That and stronger flood walls that will hold up under the pressure.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby smitty on Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:37 pm

On the latter one I would be questionable regarding insulated electricity hook-ups, to pluming like water to washrooms & such.

The one in the UK looks like a small room & so might the others be like the kitchen, bedroom, washroom, & such. If someone has a child, then they will be in trouble. Possibly these are for only retired people. To in the end what/who can they sell their suite to & difinately not someone with two kids & another soon to come.

I am not totally against said containers for homes for there is a good possibility for those pressed for money to other in their last yrs & still like to do it ON THEIR OWN rather then an Old Folks Home. After all some people, myself included, are quite independit when it comes to how they live & carry on in life. My parents were the same while I became their Care Giver though all those yrs with them feeling at home with each-other or just me.
smitty

Next

Return to Science & Technology