Recycled homes, one box at a time

Science & Technology

Re: Recycled homes, one box at a time

Postby alohasand on Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:05 pm

Once the idea of a private island subsides, people with money will try this building in the oceans probably for a science project then later turn it over to a co-operative or group willing to run it. Jurisdictions might make this possible or not. Can't imagine who would have the fun task of replacing damaged solar panels. It's not like this building allows for industrial businesses under its shell. So everything pretty much will have to be shipped in-where's the shipping yard/dock?
Staycation=stay at home and do fun things inexpensively.
alohasand

Postby deja vu on Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:21 pm

Ice fishing isn't what it used to be, eh? No more roughing it in the freezing cold, now the creature comforts make it more enjoyable.

There is a link in the article to the other photos:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41432433/ns ... on_travel/

Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby smitty on Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:58 pm

True I like fish, & nothing better then fresh fish taken out of the water & on the frying pan, but one would have to be a rich or crazy person to have something like that. Now would it be assumed I would have the same since I like fowel of chicken, turkey, grouse, peasents, to duck & geese tack on ham from swine to also beef from cattle, deer or elk meat. FOR would I have to have the ideal place, like on the photo, as showen at all locations for it would be a bit to costly for most of us.

If you required service on any of the many luxery places where would it come from? Like you would be willing to pay for all the travel time to said places?

There are meat stores in many towns or cities & that is all I have to do, but hope to gosh one of the owners or employees is not unwraping the meat, fish or such & putting on the very next day date as was showen on TV around a week ago.
smitty

Postby deja vu on Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:52 pm

RVing has evolved from the road trip holiday for a week or two, now it's catching on as a permanent home on the road, staying put in a park or your own plot of land. Some out of the way spots up to the luxury parks surrounded by multi million dollar homes. So many choices to choose from, the sky is the limit when it comes to RVing full time. From the smaller units to the big as a bus models, they can be as simple or as luxurious as you want. You don't need the full size models to have some luxury, they make it easier to fit your needs. RVing can sometimes be cheaper then rent or a mortgage. Used models can be updated and the finished product can look like new.

ImageUP TO:
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby smitty on Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:07 pm

Th atvs are most popular in the Okanagan Valley ONLY it is hard to find a lot where they will be allowed. Any of us accustom to the Okanagan Lake are accustom the the fad of HOUSE BOATS. Some of them are ghastly & used all year around as their home, to other will rent from the owner for so many months.

Those seeing them all the time, have asked the Town Fathers of Kelowna to get rid of them, so this is a bit of a battle. One just burned up recently, but no one renting or in it according to the officials.

The other day of a m/c board in some State & this part having a hillside were a number of the mentioned boxes used on boats at different levels so a maze of steps to climb up or down to get to some of them, but in mind in where do they obtain the water for a bath, shower, washing one's self, or such & always is WHERE is the sewage system or septic tanks & their fields?

I did like a few others that were snowen on this Thread & think I mentioned it earlier, but the Russian drawing was interesting.
smitty

Postby mousepad on Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:13 pm

A little too funky for my tastes. It is an award winning apartment complex
in Austria.

http://smh.domain.com.au/best-address-m ... 1crf8.html

Cheese Please!
mousepad

Postby deja vu on Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:28 pm

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/04/14/12-00 ... -virginia/

Not recylced but a scaled down model of the original and it can be yours for 4.65 million. Here's your chance to live in the White House minus Obama and his entourage of course.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby smitty on Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:19 pm

These special cargo shipping boxes are actually sellin in some of the States for a home. The one I noted was with them at various positions up the hill, yet noted a lot of personal steps to get up to the home. So then wondered like what about clean water, sewage, garbage, is your car in a safe place below. Though also realized this would have to be more in some southern State, for up in Canada is a thing called SNOW to being COLD for quite a while.

I heard that the said cargo boxes are well insulated, but then also will it be coal-oil for lighting to some other things where power is needed bar a large generator, but did not see one exposed in the photlo.
smitty

Postby dreamon on Sun May 08, 2011 3:35 pm

How about a 10 foot 1 1/2 story cube to live in. If you don't mind small places then this could be for you. Don't worry sportsfans it can take a big screen TV on the wall. The fridge is downsized to one that is just a little bigger than a bar fridge.

The house may not be expensive, haven't found a price on it yet but any land you put it on may cost you a pretty penny.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... droom.html

The universe is big It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely
impossible things just happen and we call them miracles
dreamon

Postby manga2read on Sun May 08, 2011 10:37 pm

A box home is a statement on many levels: anti-consumerism, environmental, financial reality other than a heating grate for a home, and temporary shelter. Opting to cage or encapsulate oneself into a box--that prompts questions of what a person is doing and even of my reactions towards others making choices for housing. There is no clear answer and our humanity/compassion shines or falters.
a word with you
manga2read

PreviousNext

Return to Science & Technology