Blackberry Times

Science & Technology

Blackberry Times

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:56 pm

Today, the Blackberry system for emails was down due to a technical issue. Regular Blackberry users must have felt adrift without their email access. If you read the display in the article, Twitter users were commenting on different carriers also seemingly affected.

BlackBerry emails flowing again
Lesley Ciarula Taylor Staff Reporter
Published On Thu Dec 17

The problem that killed email service for independent BlackBerry customers across North America for at least eight hours Thursday is fixed, Research in Motion told the Star at 2 p.m. Thursday.

Some independent BlackBerry customers started regaining email use shortly after 11:10 a.m. Thursday morning, but RIM, which makes the handheld devices, had to clear millions of backlogged emails through multiple wireless carriers before all service was restored.

"RIM has isolated and resolved the issue that was impacting some BlackBerry customers earlier this morning," said RIM spokeswoman Marisa Conway. "Some customers may still experience delays as email queues are processed. RIM is continuing to investigate the cause of the issue and apologizes for any inconvenience."
http://www.thestar.com/business/article/740047--blackberry-emails-flowing-again?bn=1
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Re: Blackberry Times

Postby CielOnTap on Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:21 pm

How data is managed on BlackBerrys raises questions about popular device
July 26, 2010
By LuAnn LaSalle, The Canadian Press

MONTREAL — How email and text messages are managed on BlackBerry smartphones is facing scrutiny in the United Arab Emirates where authorities say the devices operate outside national laws. The Middle Eastern country’s telecommunications watchdog has noted that data services are managed by Research In Motion (TSX:RIM) outside local control and it wants that to change.

The United Arab Emirates is among countries that censor websites and other forms of media. “It’s a control issue,” PC Magazine analyst Sascha Segan said Monday.

Data from BlackBerrys in United Arab Emirates goes through RIM computers in the United Kingdom, he said.
“Uniquely on BlackBerrys, all email and a lot of other data goes to a set of RIM computers before it goes to its destination,” said Segan, managing editor of PCMag Mobile.http://news.therecord.com/News/article/751500

There could be a case of the company wanting to protect its technology and method of doing business, but maybe the UAE will want to ensure that its citizens don't buy Blackberries if control of technology is that big a concern.

Google left China's mainland over the matter of filtering content for the government's satisfaction. Since Google moved its servers to Hong Kong, will Google move them again once HK's 20 years after repatriation with China is attained? 1997 was the year that the British left and Hong Kong citizens wanted their way of government to stay on, not disappear unilaterally. One country, two systems was the phrase that came out of the reunification.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:06 pm

Saudi regulator stops BlackBerry services
Saudi Arabia’s telecommunication regulator said yesterday that it has ordered a suspension of BlackBerry services starting on Friday as the manufacturer of the devices has failed to meet its demands. The Communications and Information Technology Commission said that “the way BlackBerry services are provided currently does not meet the regulatory criteria of the commission and the licencing conditions,” in a statement carried by state news agency SPA. It said that it has asked the kingdom’s three providers to suspend BlackBerry services starting on Friday after it had given them a grace period to get the manufacturer of the devices, Research In Motion (RIM), to “meet the regulatory demands.” Meanwhile, RIM has denied allegations it has offered some governments access to customers’ data and not others. http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topics/article.asp?cu_no=2&item_no=378228&version=1&template_id=57&parent_id=56

~~~~

RIM unveils BlackBerry Torch
Latest smartphone will help the Canadian technology giant fend off Apple and other rivals
Published On Tue Aug 3, 2010
The new BlackBerry Torch 9800 smartphone is introduced at a news conference in New York August 3, 2010.

SHANNON STAPLETON/REUTERS
Madhavi Acharya-Tom Yew Business Reporter
The latest BlackBerry smartphone may help Research In Motion grab the spotlight away from rival products and the company’s security disputes in the Middle East.

But it isn’t – and isn’t meant to be – an iPhone killer.

“RIM doesn’t need saving,” said Duncan Stewart, director of research technology, telecommunications and media for Deloitte Canada.http://www.thestar.com/business/companies/rim/article/843248--rim-unveils-blackberry-torch
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby burnt fare on Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:30 pm

Has such an offer been made? I only know of the Saudi government's interest in data access in the RIM network for the Blackberry products. Imagine if the hockey team offer was made--there would be consternation in Canada if the hockey offer proceeded to change security of the network for some executive's personal gain.
Burger time
burnt fare

Postby CielOnTap on Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:13 pm

BlackBerry users can rest easy till November
Published: Tuesday, Aug 31, 2010, 0:50 IST
By Anil Anand & Nivedita Mookerji | Place: New Delhi | Agency: DNA

Around a million BlackBerry users in India have reason for cheer. They can continue to use the smartphone as before, at least for the time being.

Amid looming fear of a ban on the service from September over security issues, BlackBerry users and telcos offering the service have got a two-month breather from the Union government, following a lengthy high-level meeting of top officials of the home ministry, telecom department and Intelligence Bureau on
Monday.

It is learnt that the government may have decided not to ban the service at this point, given that the Commonwealth Games are around the corner. This is in keeping with DNA’s report on Sunday.http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report_blackberry-users-can-rest-easy-till-november_1431189

Keeping the devices in use for a big sporting event that also lines up with meeting tourism needs in order to boost the economy is a good public relations strategy. We'll see what happens after the event with the devices.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:06 am

UAE to reportedly curb BlackBerry usage
By CYNTHIA JOHNSTON, Reuters

Last Updated: April 16, 2011 6:38am
DUBAI - The United Arab Emirates will stop individuals and small businesses accessing the most private data services offered by BlackBerry, a UAE newspaper said on Saturday, months after resolving a dispute over its access to information.

Only businesses with 20 or more subscriptions will be allowed to use high security accounts on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server, which allows for services such as highly secure corporate email, The National newspaper reported.

The move comes six months after the UAE dropped a threat to suspend BlackBerry services in a dispute over access, and coincides with efforts by Arab states to stem rolling pro-democracy revolts, largely organized on social media, that have touched all but two Gulf countries, the UAE and Qatar. http://www.torontosun.com/news/world/2011/04/16/18016326.html

This is an extension of the tension between the UAE and Canadian governments over the airline landing rights issue. Would this matter have surfaced otherwise if the Emirates' airline increased landing rights had been received?
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:10 pm

Honestly I spent time teaching myself how to type a typewriter, using all my thumbs & fingers, especially when testing m/cs for a m/c mag to some of the competition events where I also had photos.

I would scribble it on paper & once done & feeling it was correct it was to my left side & only read the scribbling I had done. The PC was a bit of a mix-up in some ways as I felt sort of lost that I could not touch the frame of the typewriter, with the smally of my finger, to make sure I was hitting they proper keys. So only a few had to be corrected. I still do it with a PC & no frame to touch yet Ican clean it up a bit later on in reading the Thread or Post again.

Now with all the keys being reached by one's thumbs to me with NOT ONE NORMAL THUMB OR FINGER IN EITHER OF MY HANDS is reason I would go nutty trying to us the latest electonical devices. So it is a PC for me!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess this is why people tend to use names of their own instead of the real names in English, or their abreviations.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:34 pm

It is newsworthy that Blackberry users in Asia and Europe have three days of interrupted service. Now North American and South American users are seeing the same issue. RIM indicated that an European server glitch has caused the backlog of messages.

BlackBerry glitch spreads to Canada, users are cut off for a third day
Technical glitches that have affected millions of BlackBerry users around the world spread to Canada and the United States on Wednesday morning as outages were reported for the smartphone’s text, email and web browsing services by some users.

The three-day disruption to BlackBerry services comes just two days before rival Apple's new iPhone 4S goes on sale.

“I have not received a single email to my phone since last night,” a Star reader said. “Browsing the web is slow, five minutes load time for Wikipedia. No notifications are coming in for any of my applications.”

RIM advised clients of an outage in the Americas and said it was working to restore services as customers in Europe, the Middle East, Africa and India continued to suffer patchy email and no access to browsing and messaging.http://www.thestar.com/business/article/1068145--blackberry-glitch-spreads-to-canada-users-are-cut-off-for-a-third-day

Even Breakfast Television on CityTV Toronto mentioned the service matter. Some staff were affected by the situation.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:00 am

Breakfast Television made mention of the Co-CEO's recorded message that appeared on the RIM website this morning. It is not known when the Blackberry network will be restored to normal but all efforts are being made to work on the problem.

See the video recording here: http://www.rim.com/newsroom/service-update.shtml

There is also a listing by the RIM CIO about the status of the network yesterday on the various continents.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:56 pm

A lot of our h/gun club members have the blackberry (when lst mentioned I thought it was REAL blackberries), so they must be wondering.

So I am luck to have not wasted money on one, for anything like them & others are so costly though thoses ith blackberry, must be disappointed to put it politely.

I noted on TV News, last even that blackberry admitted it had no corrections or a superior unit. Though in mind I have to ask what might be the cost.

Also I see in some Schools in Vancouver they use larger units in many of the classes. Some yrs ago I liked the idea that we could buy books from some of the students that had moved on in class to also some of the schools telling us a few had to be replaced by what was at the book stores & the stores were very polite when we asked.

Yet at a talk during end of Thanksgiving supper there was talk about the latest (not the failure of the blackberry for that was YET to come about), & my best friend said I was amazingly far behind for these units were a must.

It sort of reminded me of a chap that killed a woman's husband to become the most handy man for the many jobs. This was in the USA, but the police are mentioning this is becomming a popular way to obtain a continual job. To my thinking is the wife must have a maze of money!!!!!
smitty

Next

Return to Science & Technology