Telephone issues

Science & Technology

Telephone issues

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:36 am

Is your area code running out of phone numbers? No, then people have not been busy getting new numbers for fax machines, cellphones or the customer service lines.

If yes, then you get this swell news (not really swell at all), as your area code is getting busy. Notice the article does not mention how many numbers are left in the second area code (which was to relieve the 905 area code).

Not just 905: Region getting third area code
Toronto Star
(Apr 14, 2010)
The 905 will adopt a triple identity by 2013.

The CRTC announced yesterday the 905 area -- which covers Hamilton, Halton and Niagara as well as cities in the regions of Peel, York and Durham -- is set to become the first region in Canada with a third area code.

It acquired a dual identity when the area code 289 was sprung on it in 2001. The third area code will be 365.

According to the Canadian Numbering Administrator, a group that reports to the CRTC, and a consortium of phone carriers, the third area code is being added because the 905 region is expected to run out of telephone numbers by March 2014.
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/753056
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Re: Telephone issues

Postby smitty on Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:05 pm

Could be, but I recently shifted to a digital phone set-up by Shaw. My original number was held like the old one, but name was not to be showen by anyone over it being the same. This digital will be a bit less in price monthly & especially for long distance calls, not that I make more then 2 or 4 of them a year where I have to pay the cost due to the others sometimes are with Toll Free Phone Numbers..
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:55 pm

When your Internet connection is down, so probably is your phone service. As for 911 calls, does your fine print on the bill indicate if the calls go to Winnipeg or another call centre or will it go to your municipal 911 dispatch? Cellphones have that issue-emergency calls can go to call centre out west, not local dispatch centre.

But with the cabling infrastructure around and probably a break with provider for bundling your services, it might be more economical to go with cable provider. Someone at home wants to bundle services but for the folks, they don't use computers and would get upset if no dial tone was heard. They would be unlikely to contact service provider online in such a case. Then I'd have to explain emergency call routing--not my cup of tea.

With the regular phone provider, every time of late that the basic line goes up or the long-distance call plan or call service increases, I discuss whether the plan gets dropped to save dollars each month. With Bell, being on the First Rate plan means the bill will also have a network monthly fee-so that's about $14 before taxes extra each month going to the corporation. And the plan has not covered free US calls in the 2h monthly free calls but offers a discounted long-distance charge providing call is after business hours.

Re: three area codes. I really anticipate that some small companies are going to tighten up the phone charges and number of numbers it needs to run a going concern. Too much information and fees, not enough going towards the bottom line.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sun May 16, 2010 8:55 pm

Where did the cellphone go--into the water, into an off-label use, into a dark place after it was tossed? A comprehensive list of things that can happen to cellphones that will need your attention, some parts and maybe a replacement phone.

How to fix your cellphone
Ways to remedy cracked screens and jammed keys. Some repairs, though, are best left to professionals.
By Elizabeth Woyke, Forbes.com

Asif Noorani hates to miss a call or text. So when the Dallas entrepreneur went jet skiing on a nearby lake last summer, he brought his new iPhone 3GS along. Noorani carefully covered the phone with a Ziploc bag and placed it in the jet ski's hinged storage compartment. But when he retrieved it, he found that condensation had seeped inside. The device was dead.

We all do it. Determined to bring our cellphones everywhere we go, we accidentally submerge them in water, drop them or crush them underfoot (or worse, under wheels). Repair technicians say they have seen phones drowned in deep fryers, tossed out of speeding cars, used as bottle openers and hurled as weapons during fights. The result: corroded circuit boards, cracked screens, jammed buttons, missing keys and more. http://technology.canoe.ca/Forbes/2010/05/13/13935706-forbes.html

Check your warranty legalese to see what you will have to repair and what repairs are covered. If the phone has been used long enough that you'd rather take on the repair challenge (instead of paying a shop to look at it), know it at the outset, so there will be no remorse later.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:48 am

New phrase of the day-dirty electricity. This week, I discover that dimmer switches create dirty electricity as do the heavily promoted compact fluorescent bulbs (hey, there's mercury in them too) and cellphones.

Protect yourself from cellphone radiation
By DR. GIFFORD-JONES, Special to QMI Agency
Last Updated: September 11, 2010 2:00am

Last week I reported that “dirty electricity,” generated by computers and other electrical devices, has been linked to unexplained aches and pains, depression, sleepiness, ringing in the ears, headaches, and a foggy brain. An international group of scientists believes that electromagnetic radiation (EMR) from dirty electricity can cause an increase in brain malignancy.

Dirty electricity is produced when transformers convert clean 60 Hertz household current into low voltage power for electronic devices. This creates micro surges of electricity that contain up to 2,500 times the energy of a conventional 60 Hertz system. This electrical pollution causes a negative effect on our health.

Dirty electricity is bad for everyone, particularly children. A Swedish study reported that teens who use cellphones have a five times greater chance of developing brain cancer than adult users. Since children’s skulls are thinner, cellphone radiation penetrates a far larger proportion of brain tissue.

In May 2010, the World Health Organization (WHO) released a 10-year study into cellphone use and cancer rates. The WHO recognized a significant correlation between malignant brain tumours and people who used their cellphones, wireless home phones or WIFI connected for more than 30 minutes combined daily.http://www.torontosun.com/life/healthandfitness/2010/09/08/15284781.html

A rally for unplugging from online life and taking to the outdoors to get some sunshine, exercise and fresh air?

Irony is how much wi-fi has also been promoted. Also, the push on computer use in younger grades in school. Parents in one Ontario school board allege that the wi-fi in the schools are making some kids sick--their sicknesses appear only during school hours.

Electromagetic radiation sickness is going to be topical again.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:53 pm

Ciel, fourtuately I do not have a cellular telephone. I have also noted some owners are up to staggering costs for many reasons. The gun club started to insist I purchase one due to my position, but pointed out to them that 75% of our shooters have one & in a case of instant need I can use one of their phones.

It is sort of like people wandering around this area, a few yrs ago, trying to get us to change Natural Gas to a less costly system only a while back so many were complaining about the staggering costs & they could NOT get free of the firm they had signed up to.

Sometimes one has to wonder what is going on in this world when it comes to cheating on innocent people.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:16 pm

CRTC hits Bell Canada with $1.3M penalty for violating Do Not Call rules

By Jennifer Ditchburn, The Canadian Press | The Canadian Press – 14 minutes ago
OTTAWA - The CRTC sent a blunt Do-Not-Mess-With-Us message Thursday about the national Do Not Call list, hitting Bell Canada with a $1.3-million penalty for violating telemarketing rules.

The telecommunications regulator found that independent telemarketers hired by Bell in Canada and overseas made unsolicited calls to Canadians to sell TV, telephone and Internet services.

They called consumers who had signed up for the national Do Not Call list, or had asked Bell Canada to be put on the company's internal, no-calls list.
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/crtc-hits-bell-canada-1-3m-penalty-violating-20101220-131422-095.html

The December expense that will make an impact on the corporate return. Bell customers are awaiting the promised rebates for the northern areas improvements for phone and Internet (they got wireless instead of the promised hardwired service I learned this year) that generated a monthly charge on phone bills. Too bad if you left Bell before August 31--only customers on record as of that day qualify for a rebate.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:53 pm

A telephone application (app) exists for conversation during the holidays. Some of the suggested lines seem more to stop someone else's conversation rather than to start one. Is this an app for your social calendar, to have on your phone if your mind goes blank at the table? I'd advise keeping your phone on silent or off modes especially if people have come from far places to spend their free time with you. Otherwise, that door will be opening and closing often!

What to say when you’re tongue-tied
Published On Thu Dec 23 2010

Lesley Ciarula Taylor
Staff Reporter

Just in time for family Christmas dinners and New Year’s Eve parties, a new mobile application helps you squeeze out of tight conversational corners.

How to get out of being kissed? “I think we’re cousins.”

What to say to someone you don’t remember? “I think I’ve seen you online.”

Tierney Communications has released the free app, which is also available online, with a changing roster of replies for the conversationally inept or socially trapped. http://www.thestar.com/living/article/911460--what-to-say-when-you-re-tongue-tied

Don't forget Miss Manners' standby reply for personal questions that are no one's business: with a cold tone say, "thank you for your interest in my personal life" and then stay silent. The message will be conveyed that it is not anyone's business.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:20 pm

What has cought my attention that the continual phone calls on the other line was with the notice that it is time to have my syptic tank cleaned. Though all in this town knew they had to go over to the towns sewage system some 7 or 9 yrs ago!!!!!!!!!!!

Only some Cdn chap then some woman followed up asking me why I switched to Shaw & I told them SAVINGS IN COST.

I thought that was the end only around 8.00 am the phone will often ring & some chap with East Indian accent, being coached by others in what to say to me, has been driving me up the wall.

I think it is something about another telephone line or whatever for once they start to yatter I hang up.

True I did have a Cdn woman call me up to possibly buy this or that for my home, but pointed out I was 90+ yrs of age & each time I do up my IT I am on the Poverty Level, so I am not interested in buying anything. So not an insult I feel, other then a point of interest to the caller. YES she apologized!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We in the USA to Canada, have something like politness or sort of understanding to NOT start up the work till around 8:30am be it mowing the lawn, building a home which is allowing those close to us or work, will not be woken up through the NOISE.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:46 pm

Skype back online in time for holidays
Published On Thu Dec 23 2010
The Canadian Press
The makers of Skype, the popular Internet-based audio and video chat software, say millions of users are reporting they can connect again.

The service with about 560 million users went down on Wednesday, triggering fears that it might be unavailable during the holidays.

In a blog post on Thursday morning, Skype said as many as five million users were back online, which is about a third of the normal traffic expected on a typical morning. http://www.thestar.com/business/article/911601--skype-back-online-in-time-for-holidays

Going paperless for your wireless phone bills comes with strings attached-your payment could be going to a charity designated by the carrier but you may not be able to avoid paying the fee if you want the carrier to supply your bill.
New wireless carriers, such as Wind, Mobilicity and Public, charge $2 to $4 a month for paper bills or in-store payments.

But Telus, which is larger and has a longer history, seems to have angered many of its customers with its sudden move to paperless this fall.

“We’re being charged an additional $24 a year, not for a service but for how we’re billed for a service,” said Edward Carson. “We’re being asked to pay for delivery of the bill we’re going to pay.”

He didn’t like the policy, but stayed with Telus and paid $2 a month. It was too much of a hassle to switch.

“Telus has attempted to shift operating costs from itself to the consumer,” said Michael Shulman. “My issue is not simply with the increase, but with the high-handedness it has exhibited in the name of conservation.”

The company promised to give a $2 donation to an environmental charity, the Nature Conservancy of Canada, for each mobile client going paperless.

“I’d like to choose to whom I make an eco donation,” said Len Latchana.

http://www.moneyville.ca/article/911479--who-likes-paying-to-get-a-bill?bn=1
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Next

Return to Science & Technology