Scientist selling Nobel medal to have cash

Science & Technology

Scientist selling Nobel medal to have cash

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:51 am

The person who helped to discover human DNA structure has listed his Nobel medal for auction. The reason? He only has one source of income left after remarks about intelligence and race some years ago ostracized him in the scientific community.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/04/nyregion/james-watson-puts-nobel-medal-on-auction-block-at-christies.html?_r=0

A billionaire had purchased the medal-here are his reasons:
http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/dec/09/russian-billionaire-usmanov-james-watson-nobel-prize-return-scientist
Usmanov, whose steel, mining and other assets are worth $15bn according to Forbes, said he wanted the medal to remain with its rightful owner and for the money he spent on the item to be donated to scientific research.

“In my opinion, a situation in which an outstanding scientist has to sell a medal recognising his achievements is unacceptable,” Usmanov said in a statement.

“James Watson is one of the greatest biologists in the history of mankind and his award for the discovery of DNA structure must belong to him,” he added.

Crick and Watson’s discovery of the double helix structure of DNA drew heavily on the crystallography work of Rosalind Franklin at Kings College London. Franklin died of cancer in 1958, four years before the Nobel prize was awarded.

After the unusual intervention, Usmanov said that Watson could now keep the medal but donate the proceeds of the sale to the research institutions that had “nurtured him”, including the universities of Cambridge, Chicago and Indiana.

“Dr Watson’s work contributed to cancer research, the illness from which my father died. It is important for me that the money that I spent on this medal will go to supporting scientific research, and the medal will stay with the person who deserved it. I wouldn’t like the medal of the distinguished scientist to be an object on sale,” Usmanov’s statement said.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Return to Science & Technology