Digital books-the issues, the availability, the costs

Science & Technology

Digital books-the issues, the availability, the costs

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:33 pm

Online libraries are something becoming part of the 21st century Internet experience, in terms of accessing books from distant lands or accessing books digitally if a hardcopy is not yet available (on loan to another patron or not yet acquired) through a public library.

Google has a court appeal decision in its favour regarding its digitizations of books for the online library it operates:
It added: "Snippet view, at best and after a large commitment of manpower, produces discontinuous, tiny fragments, amounting in the aggregate to no more than 16 per cent of a book. This does not threaten the rights holders with any significant harm to the value of their copyrights or diminish their harvest of copyright revenue."

The three-judge appeals panel did acknowledge, though, that some book sales would likely be lost if someone were merely searching for a portion of text to ascertain a fact. It suggested that a student writing a paper on Franklin D. Roosevelt might seek to know when Roosevelt was stricken with polio. But it said the search would turn up multiple sources.
Challenge dates back to 2005

The Authors Guild and various authors had challenged Google in 2005, contending that the digital book project violated their rights.

Google Inc. has made digital copies of tens of millions of books from major libraries and established a publicly available search function. It planned ultimately to scan over 100 million books, including material from the New York Public Library, Library of Congress and several major universities.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/google-books-scanning-1.3274673
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Re: Digital books-the issues, the availability, the costs

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:56 pm

Some print publishers are moving their titles to digital versions only due to changes in subscriptions and advertising revenues dropping.
"There are certainly exceptions. But the bigger issue is our ability to monetize those audiences through advertising. The magazine business held up relative to the newspaper business quite well for a long time, but in recent years what we've found is the advertising dedicated to Canadian magazines has started to drop off quite rapidly."

For instance, print advertising revenue for Rogers Media plunged more than 30 per cent this year compared to last, Maich said.

The Toronto-based media giant, a subsidiary of Rogers Communications, is also looking to sell all of its business-to-business magazines as well as its French publications. Maich said the company is already in active discussions with potential buyers and hopes to close those sales by the end of the year.

http://www.mississauga.com/news-story/6887556-rogers-media-retrenches-its-magazine-business/

L'Actualite is a French-language title that I'm fortunate to get through a library branch that still subscribes to the print copy.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby kittydiva on Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:29 pm

Hi there -

There are certainly lots of issues with digital books and media. One is privacy. I've heard reports that some digital books/readers can transmit exactly what pages you've read, etc. And if there are "problems", your volume just might disappear.

Haven't gotten into online magazines, but I can tell you that print magazines are getting less and less worth looking at. I scanned through a couple the other day while waiting for an appointment and good luck trying to find any content amongst the ads! And the other thing I noticed was the text of what content there was in the two magazines I perused happened to be very small ---- at least for me. who doesn't have 20/20 vision.

That said, there is something to be said for digital books --- if one can find acceptable providers and all. They won't take up tons of shelf space and great for me: you can usually vary the text size.

Now if I can only get myself to finish reading a couple of books which I've started ----- yup - printed ones!
kittydiva

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:16 am

Printed books can open small talk into another direction if someone else on the bus or waiting room
is trying to connect. That can be a pro or con for the reader, depending how interesting the reading
material is or wanting to keep personal time to self (no-interference from others).

If e-readers can give off indications of what someone is reading to the greater Internet world,
then one has to look at mobile security options for protection. I've noticed in my few forays into
seeking wireless connection points, the list of nearby sites can include printers (shown as unsecured)!
As a result I have downloaded the latest Opera browser for Windows with the VPN option to help
offer some peace of mind when accessing a store's or library's free Wi-Fi connection with my
notebook computer.

On the topic of magazines-I've seen that most library branches carry a certain core selection of
mostly US titles in print (must be the deal on subscription pricing that larger publishers offer) with some
variance on hobby or special interest titles. I by chance noticed a distant branch carries First for Women-
it's mostly about tips and recipes with a nod to some celebrity fit/don't fit style notes. Since a family
member bought a current issue, I was keen to locate some back issues from 2016 and there were some
in the branch (I borrowed two). Sewing magazines have almost disappeared except at about three branches
where Vogue Patterns is carried and maybe also Threads magazine. The thing is, I cannot reserve magazines
on a computer; I have to visit the particular branch to obtain the desired title.

The Economist, a UK publication uses very small fonts for its articles but I find that I really like having
3-5 articles on a page because I seem to cover different topics more readily. The illustrations in the publication
can be very good as well so I consider it essential to have a print copy in hand to enjoy at leisure. I'm not
keen on online magazines because the set view mode is usually not enough to see the copy or entire page. When
selecting the zoom option, the pointer becomes a cumbersome tool to move around the page. If I go to the next
page with zoom, the whole process of reading is slowed down by having the move the mouse to show more of
a page or article. The zoom setting might even reset to original viewing mode if pages are changed. Quite a hassle
at public access terminals with time limits!
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby kittydiva on Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:54 pm

Hi CielonTap -

Your thoughts - and experiences with these digital and print volumes is quite interesting. How do you like the Opera browser? I have read that there are concerns about any use of "free Wi-Fi" Sigh.

Another thing we haven't talked about is used books. I think that finding a used book that one wants to read is a real treasure. Not sure if the same will hold true for digital books ---- if used copies DO become available...

And I just got an idea for a new topic...
kittydiva

Return to Science & Technology