Movie Reviews

Music, Movies, TV, Humor, Anime, Books

Re: Movie Reviews

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:15 pm

CielOnTap wrote:Fans of Wallace & Grommit, do you remember their woolly sheep friend, Shaun? Guess who has his own movie? Yes!
Shaun the Sheep: The Movie will have its Canadian debut at the Toronto International Film Festival's Kids Festival this month.

http://tiff.net/festivals/tiffkidsfestival15/premium-events

I'd be all for a woolgathering session with some popcorn and a viewing of Shaun's movie!

I did get to view this movie on DVD about two months ago. It's not really for kids-this movie has British-style humour aimed at older audience members such as adults and some scenes are more appropriate for adults. You would not want a kid to blow you a raspberry like some sheep in the movie do, do you?

This past week's viewings:
Burnt-about a chef looking to restore his success in the restaurant business and attain a third Michelin star. Caution-lots of F-word use in the film. Not a movie for date night but it's more of how long hours are required to be considered a novel chef in the industry.

Jem & the Holograms-shout-out to fans of 80s & 90s cartoons on Saturday mornings or weekday afternoons. Many retro touches. I cannot be the only one looking at Aunt Bailey's house and think of Molly Ringwald in her Pretty in Pink movie (from the 80s)? The movie leverages the popularity of social media that youth use to update the movie's storyline. Definitely a popcorn movie.

The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel-caught up on the first 20 minutes that I had missed at last summer's viewing. Another popcorn movie with character twists. Bollywood dance sequences too!
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:59 pm

Despite wanting to watch Popstar on DVD because I thought the documentary style movie about pop singers was a cool idea, what made me stop watching was the constant adult Samberg character acting like a 16yr old with potty mouth. Oh, he should not be another Adam Sandler who very much seems to play the same snarky and wiseacre man who never grew up.

Now,I can recommend the TV series Extant on DVD. I watched season two as I was unable to view the Blu-ray first season that I originally requested. So I had to wait for season 1 on regular dvd to be available and watched almost all episodes (one had glitches on the disc so no viewing). Great sets, concepts, storylines and characters make this series a near-future sci-fi drama worth watching.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:02 pm

Absolutely Fabulous The Movie on DVD will give the series' fans some fun. Count how many cameo guest appearances you recognize, if you know your UK actors and celebrities. The overall story is a stretched out episode though with a few dream sequences-we all relate to escaping reality from time to time.

The movie is rated R for Restricted because Ab Fab does include language and scenes that are adult in nature. Don't get any ideas of what constitutes appropriate teen behaviour from the movie-the teen in question is being manipulated by the adults in her life.

This movie is strictly for the fans!
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:50 am

Celia Imrie is one busy actress-besides being in the cast of Best Exotic Marigold Hotel and its sequel, she has a role in the Ab Fab movie and she's in Bridget Jones' Baby as Una (as friend of Bridget's campaigning politician mother).

I was watching Bridget Jones' Baby last night and had many different thoughts about it. The first 40min are like being in a class you have to take but are not keen on, then something witty comes up (the discussion of Gangnam was interesting and a connection to Korean pop music!) and start asking yourself, will there be a test on the first part of the film (which cleverly leaks clues about things but only if you paid attention). Middle part of movie starts to roll out the comedy despite the awkward scenes where viewers just feel Bridget slogging through social awkwardness of her own or others' design. Last third of movie reveals thoughtful questions and answers in the 21st century about family/love/relationships in work and in life. In the credits, I noticed Emma Thompson was one of three screenplay writers-Ms Thompson is a doctor in this film as well in other films of late. The Restricted rating on the movie means don't show this film in front of young ones as there are adult scenes and random F-word usage.

If I had seen this movie in the theatre or movieplex, I probably would have gone for more popcorn at 30min or walked out. However, for those who are romance fiction readers, you will be rewarded for staying through the movie with words and actions certain to set hearts aflutter. Banter is big!

Whoever worked on wardrobe for actor Patrick Dempsey in the movie did marvellous work. He came across as a romantic (somewhat).

I have to find the second movie to learn what Hugh Grant was all about in the series.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:17 pm

Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice is the DVD that starts to bring some comicbook history to the big screen concerning three superheros.
It's very hard to eat popcorn with this movie. Things get action-heavy by the 1 hour mark. Tons of gray and black tones-rather depressing.
There is clever dialogue and some scary dialogue. The second disc has extras-check out how bat houses help protect the bat population and how bats help crops by taking out insects plus there is lots of behind the scenes stuff (technical and production) and the back stories for each superhero and comic book legacies.

Wonder Woman turns up as superhero number three in this film-she gets her own movie in June 2017 (movie trailer has just been released
and that guitar music is so superhero heavy-you know someone is coming). http://www.tribute.ca/trailers/wonder-woman/22090/
Chris Pine is in the film as Steve Trainor.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby 123duyusee on Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:03 pm

Costumes and sewing have something in common in two movies: they help set a time for each movie
and they provide an extra feature on the DVD discs.

Alice Through the Looking Glass shows every character with a look. This movie is a sequel to Alice in Wonderland. Alice is now a ship's captain and gets into a situation with Time. Not everyone is on board with Alice this time around.

The Dressmaker is a movie with ties to Macbeth and is set in Australia in a tough little town. A former resident returns with a stylish ability to make fascinating clothes that add colour to the town. But she had been sent away as a child and needs to know why. Revenge is the other theme. Some famous names are in this movie.
The count is in...
123duyusee

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:58 pm

Toronto has at least two film festivals happening in November-the European Union Film Festival (Nov. 9-22, http://euffto.com/) and the Polish Film Festival (Nov. 6-12, http://ekran.ca/2017-festival-films/ ). What is great about themed film festivals is that films that may only usually reach native or language speakers of particular languages, films at festivals tend to be subtitled to allow non-speakers of the languages to read in English or French what the actors are saying. Then stories from other lands reach other minds not from the same origin countries.

Also, unless one happens to have kin who buy DVDs of foreign films not usually shown in North American, then short of a trip to a land of films, how does one get to see the smaller films or lesser known works? Film festivals to the rescue!
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:33 pm

Want adrenaline in a movie? Watch XXX-The Return of Xander Cage and enjoy the skateboard sequences.
Very fast, very in your face, and very video-game like in some of the slow-motion scenes. I found Toni Collette
using an effective US accent in her role (she's Australian). No one seemed to ask for proof of one person's demise...

By the way, soccer fans, Neymar da Silva Santos Jr. has cameo appearances and about three lines in the film.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Previous

Return to Entertainment