Books-pageturners or doorstoppers?

Music, Movies, TV, Humor, Anime, Books

Re: Books-pageturners or doorstoppers?

Postby CielOnTap on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:35 am

Seeing a somewhat familiar name on the recently announced Canada-United States Council for Advancement of Women Entrepreneurs and Business Leaders, I looked up Annette Verschuren. She was Home Depot Canada's President! Her book, Bet On Me: Leading and Succeeding in Business and in Life, is one that I've started to read because I discovered Ms. Verschuren has economic development experience in Atlantic Canada. That region and the economy are of interest and so I anticipate some insights on what worked and did not work in creating employment and business opportunities.book

What business books are keeping you turning the pages or advancing your e-book reading this month?
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:54 pm

Pageturner! Thank You For This Moment in English or Merci Pour Ce Momentin French, Valerie Trierweiler exposes the political and the personal in her memoir. Think of the book as a guide to navigating personal and professional lives when one's partner is a public political figure in France, to First Lady 101 to saving your own self when others are determined to swamp the person with neverending and conflicting expectations and as how-to get your own life back when all one gets is lemons.

The author is astute, can read the public relations and political bent of most situations, has contributed to society and also to the political office of the President but seldom or never received credit and publicly was left to dry whenever a situation came up to sully her name, true or not. Her requests for public statements by Francois Hollande to publicly support her went unanswered. Yet Trierweiler was the one staff, journalists and others reached out to when they could not get to Hollande or a situation was going to go bad without her intercession. She also was expected to give up certain paid work to avoid appearing in conflict of interest but she was also financially responsible for her three children and no compensation was offered for certain sacrifices.

Two quotations are worth sharing here:
A shame: he could have learned a lot from the Massoneau family about the way the French feel: we don't beat around the bush, we don't lie, we call a spade a spade, we tell it like it is and we look people in the eyes when we do.

I really did have all the faults for the role: not married, not wealthy, working class and working...It really wasn't very First Lady-like of me at all. Critics will say what they will but I smashed my glass ceiling the day I set foot on the red carpet. I smashed through it so hard that thousands of shards of glass cut me deeply on the way.

The author makes mention of how political candidates would act in public and tend to have private meetings even if they were on opposing parties. One such meeting involved Hollande and Dominique Strauss-Kahn in a period prior to Strauss-Kahn's US arrest and fallout from the French presidential race.

What was learned from her First Lady role is that there were other First Ladies that suffered under the public microscope at home and abroad as though they could not breathe without the public and press finding fault every time--not to mention some completely made up incidents and stories that included their names and were groundless yet not retracted. Yet Trierweiler was impressed by Michelle Obama's hosting of the visiting First Ladies to the US while their political spouses were at a conference.

The last two pages of the book detail what the author learned the hard way after she and the French President were separated over the public photos of his visiting another woman's resident. Relationship kryptonite. She won't forget. The book was written in the spring and summer of 2014 and readers will just be stunned at what women are still expected to endure but men do not.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:44 pm

Two titles to put on your Xmas gift list (for you or someone else who reads):

Jan Wong's Apron Strings is a journal of her three country, three month travels with her chef son. I have laughing through parts of the Italian journey.

Suzanne Somer's Two's Company will provide the reader with the author's entry into acting, pay equity issues, her powerful relationship with her husband, and brief explanations about how she was inspired for each of her health-related books--something prompted her to explore each area. She's honest, blunt, and loves her life. True journey in USA. She's grateful for what she has.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:51 pm

You don't have to be a fan of the Young & the Restless soap opera in the US to enjoy reading Eric Braeden's biography, I'll Be Dam**ed. He shares some life experiences on feeling like an outsider in the US due to his German heritage, yet he took part in community building whether through sports, acting or cultural activities. Dialogue between communities of humans remains an important aspect of his life in the United States.

Mr. Braeden portrays Victor Newman on the television series, which has a long history of fandom and popularity.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Previous

Return to Entertainment