Movie Reviews

Music, Movies, TV, Humor, Anime, Books

Re: Movie Reviews

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:27 pm

Up the Yangtze-is a sad story of lives impacted by the large waterworks infrastructure (Three Gorges Dam) and little to no compensation for the people most affected by the rising water level. How eerie it was to see those signs and water level markers showing the current height of the river (58m) with the top level being 175m. At the end of the documentary and in the Special Features section, there are time-lapsed photos to show the water's rising reach and how it submerges one family's shoreline home and vegetable gardens in one summer.

Ironically, the family's eldest child aspires to go to high school and the only way it might be possible is if she works on one of the cruise ships that take international guests down the same river that threatens her family's home on the edge. It is not clear at the end of the film if she remains on the ship for a longer period of time (to make the money for her family to buy water and vegetables (in their new home)that used to be free and dependant on their own ability to collect them at their source or if the child returns to school. Her family is seen carrying and transporting their belongings as the water laps the home's base and the river stonework on the steep banks is completed, save for an existing wide path for carts and pedestrians.

There are ship staff that take on the task of assessing the youth staff members as new entrants to the "university of life." The most photogenic male in their midst learns at the end of his 3-month probation that his focus on himself is reason why he is below the ship's standards of customer service. Yet he managed to make excellent tips when carrying luggage and even sang karaoke as an entertainer in addition to his bartender duties. It was fascinating to see what training involved for the new staff, all of whom had some degree of English language skills.

Fengdu City was called a ghost city as it had to switch banks in order to continue its existence. Anything below 175m was going to face the water.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby fishandchips on Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:24 am

The "first" Star Wars movie got a crowdsourced movie makeover using Lego and submissions of 15 second clips by fans around the world. Enjoy the movie-video is at the bottom of the link.
http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainment/Crowdsourced+Star+Wars+Uncut+Director+goes+viral/6033075/story.html

Yes, some of the words shown for sound effects are in different languages and some Internet/text acronyms show up too.
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:43 pm

During this month, I was thinking about the Kubrick movie, A.I.. I just thought I might like to see it again to determine if I would have any different impressions. A family member happened to be watching it tonight and I stayed to see the last 30 minutes-I still got some tears in my eyes. I remain somewhat unnerved by the future forecast by the movie (Manhattan flooded except for upper storeys of skyscrapers, an ice age, aliens two thousand years later trying to make sense of past human existence).
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:06 pm

Viewed most of Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol and yes, the Burj Khalifa stunts are very impressive. What was the team's suite level, the 120th storey? The storyline required the team to access level 131, seven units over.

Must admit that it was very strategic that the movie starts in Europe but travels through the Gulf (Dubai) and India. 21st century marketing at work.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby deja vu on Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:55 pm

"ARGO"

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2013/ ... urman.html

http://todayentertainment.today.com/_ne ... dians?lite

http://www.rgj.com/usatoday/article/1941165

http://www.politico.com//blogs/click/20 ... 57592.html

The movie by Ben Affleck is supposedly based on the Iran/US hostage taking. Two brave Canadians risked it all to save the Americans that the Iranians didn't catch at the embassy. Our Ambassador at the time Ken Taylor and his deputy John Sheardown kept the people at their homes and snuck them out of the country as Canadian Citizens. Our Government took the unheard of step of issuing 6 false passports to get those people out of Iran and back to the US safely.

But then the movie slides into the fantasy world of Hollywood, and the enduring goal of propaganda. The story focuses around the role of CIA agent Tony Mendez, who supposedly crafted the Americans’ great escape. In reality, he was in Tehran for a day and a half. In what most Canadians regard as the “Canadian Caper,” the roles of Taylor and his colleagues are marginalized.

More importantly, the movie — which opens with the words “Based on a True Story” — contained entire scenes that never happened, including one where the Americans were surrounded by an angry mob in a Tehran market and escaped with their lives. There was also a final chase at the airport, supposedly involving Iranian security officials as the Americans were about to depart. Never happened.

The movie was first presented last September at the Toronto International Film Festival. Producer and director Affleck, who majored in Middle Eastern studies in college, said then that he didn’t want the movie to be used in a “partisan” way: “I just want to tell a story that was about the facts as I understood them.”

Facts as he understood them? What fairy tale did he read, he was as far from the truth as you can get. His character wasn't heavily involved yet he gets all of the credit.

The other thing that I would say was that 90 percent of the contributions to the ideas and the consummation of the plan was Canadian. And the movie gives almost full credit to the American CIA. And with that exception, the movie is very good.”

In “Argo,” a team led by CIA agent Tony Mendez (played by Ben Affleck) save six diplomats during the Iran Hostage Crisis, which took place while Carter was in office.

“But Ben Affleck's character in the film was only … in Tehran a day and a half,” Carter said. “And the main hero, in my opinion, was Ken Taylor, who was the Canadian ambassador who orchestrated the entire process.”

If the roles were reversed and a Canadian made a movie and gave little to no credit to the actual US heroes they would be hopping mad to say the least. Ben Affleck took a true story and turned it into fiction without acknowledging that the movie is not based on the reality of what really happened.

Taylor and Sheardown took the greatest risk when hiding them. If they had been caught they would have been killed for it. Mr. Sheardowns role isn't even covered in this movie. What's troubling is that some Americans that will not know or don't remember the hostage taking. They will think the movie is fact and that does a disservice to the real heroes and the people that escaped safely from Iran.

The morning TV news were discussing this issue and said if ARGO wins they doubt Affleck will acknowledge the real contribution of the Canadian Embassy staff. It's just sad that two men risked all to save strangers and Affleck turns it into something else and ignores their huge contribution and sacrifce.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:58 pm

Was leafing through a store flyer and noticed that the last and most recent James Bond movie, Skyfall, is already out on DVD. When was the release date of the movie in theatres? November 9, 2012. For some reason, I thought it had been released in winter of this year.

While Penelope Cruz has been written about as the next leading female actress for the next movie, I certainly would like to see Michelle Yeoh get some action time in the next movie. We've been without Yeoh for awhile--her last film was about Myanmar's/Burma's Aung San Suu Kyi. Though there is a second Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon film, it is in pre-production now.

I have not ventured out to the cinema for Fast and Furious 6. But I do have the Fast Five dvd with me and it's time to see how Brazil is shown in the movie.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:54 pm

Vin Diesel's best line in the Fast Five movie: "This is BRAH-ZIL!" He was responding to the US agents approaching him at a car rally in Rio de Janiero. Amazing stunts filmed in favelas and dense neighbourhoods. Car chase sequences seemed to be hemmed in by the houses right by the street layout in the city.

Watched the Indian sci-fi superhero movie RA-ONE, with Shah Rukh Khan and Kareena Kapoor and many talented supporting extras. The movie had some compelling visual effects, if you also watched the bonus dvd explaining how some scenes were produced. However, some major US movie cliches were included in the movie that seem to refer visually or verbally to certain characters in Terminator, The Matrix, etc. Even the dream scene appeared to be a nod to the character Cloud Strike from the Final Fantasy 7 video game. There were some good story lines about a father going a little overboard in making a video game his son would play. The father had wise lines and goofy ones too.

Learned that Chammak Challo is Punjabi for sizzling siren-there's a song and dance sequence about it. Now I know what the song was about from two years ago.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:39 pm

South Korean actor Lee Byung Hun married actress Lee Min Jung today. He appeared in the G.I. Joe movies and The Good, The Bad and The Weird, the latter a film circuit darling of the media; he's known for his Korean drama TV series roles and movie roles.

The couple had some candid group photos that appeared online-it's nice to see everyone sharing a laugh about something!
http://www.allkpop.com/article/2013/08/lee-byung-hun-and-lee-min-jung-tie-the-knot-celebrity-guests

It is usually popular for South Korean engaged celebrity couples to have their wedding photos done prior to the actual wedding day. The couple gets to dress in apparel they chose for the posed photos and candids. A good way to remember that engagement period! Have a look at the wedding couple's version:
http://www.allkpop.com/article/2013/07/lee-byung-hun-and-lee-min-jung-unveil-their-wedding-pictorial
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:08 pm

OMNI 2 had English Vinglish as its afternoon Bollywood movie. Seeing the main character, a visitor from India trying to order vegetarian food in her limited English while at a New York city coffee shop and not getting understood but getting attitude, whose words in English subtitles were shown on the screen made me to stop to find out what the premise of the movie was (had missed the start). Shaashi was in NY to help with a niece's wedding. She sees a bus ad for learning English and memorizes the phone number because various family members keep commenting how she does not know English. She learns English with her fellow students, one of whom develops feelings for her.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:38 am

Skyfall, this year's latest James Bond adventure movie, offers adrenaline in various sequences and a mix of old and new technologies. Scotland features in part of the movie as one of many locations used for the movie. Be careful not to lose your grip on the popcorn bowl--action shifts pace when you don't expect it to.

The firm has some younger staff featured in the course of the plot-the female agent at the start of the movie is nervy and adept, which added some enjoyment to the usual Bond vs adversary sequences.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment