Movie Reviews

Music, Movies, TV, Humor, Anime, Books

Re: Movie Reviews

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:08 pm

This weekend, I indulged in having the dvd player/tv in use for the food themed discs found at the library:

Two Fat Ladies, Season 4, ep 21-24: a dry wit and culinary finesse in varying places/residences see the two women take in sights between cooking sessions making dishes for the designated diners. A motorcycle with sidecar allows Jennifer Paterson and Clarissa Dickinson Wright to get around. Overlook their tendency to use their hands to mix or to taste dishes-think country cooking and you'll get the idea.

Gourmet's Diary of a Foodie series-a PBS and National Geographic co-production from 2008, the second season covers about 20 episodes ranging from open flame grilling to Chile's mestizo cuisine. Think travelogue with serious food focus and excellent visuals plus the bonus of seeing one Gourmet staffer prepare a related cooking dish in each segment. If you read Gourmet when it was still in publication, the DVD is the visual version of reading a gastronomic article with some exploration of local ingredients. Will seek the first season disc to view the other topics covered.

Kings of Pastry-if you are a French person who happens to be a pastry chef, you might feel the need to compete in the Meilleurs Ouvriers de France (MOFs) pastry competition (which happens every four years) to seek recognition as the best of the best. The documentary follows a French pastry chef, who lives in Chicago, in his quest to gain a MOF and medal for pastry greatness. To compete, you need vision, fellow chef coaches and lots of time training (kitchen space where you make your various creations for different sections in pastry making). There are lots of emotions and one recognizes the need for strength (lifting heavy works of sugar) as well as speed in making items before the time's up. Recommended viewing for anyone who eats desserts and who makes desserts. The DVD is a 2010 production-look for it.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:25 pm

Wolverine won't disappoint science fiction-fantasy fans with its story, its outdoor scenes in Japan and the very effective lighting of interior room scenes. It helps to know that Wolverine is part of the X-Men comic book action series and he has his own unique characteristics but he's just as longing as the rest of humankind--you watch his story be told and how he comes to terms with his life.

Actress who plays Yukio-very agile and acrobatic actress and with her eye glances, is able to communicate without words.

Question: why do libraries of secondary characters get rough treatment in the movie? Save the books!
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:39 pm

Austenland is out on DVD and it appealed to me because I have wanted to see it for seven months and probably would have enjoyed it best during winter (a very long one). I can understand why the movie received limited release in Canada-only in major cities!This film is for the book crowd, Austen fans and the few folks who like offbeat films. What I like about UK actor heavy films with only a few US actors is that there is some kind of effervescene in the scenes that generally does not appear in US cast loaded films. The dialogues seems to have more tension or teasing or banter.

You must watch the credits for a bonus feature and also watch the question and answer session with the cast. Laughs to come!

The movie answers the question for the Austen fans wanting their own real-life Darcy (or Miss Bennett) love story: what would happen if you could experience the Regency period in the costumes/manners/activities of the time and possibly meet someone that is your Darcy (or Miss Bennett)?

*Update-watched Ender's Game this evening (movie was released in theatres in November 2013 but seemed to disappear within three weeks. The movie is quite synchronized with the first book of the trilogy. What got my attention was the effort made to show how Ender's emotional/psychological state affected how he was able to deal with relationships/ranks that tried to stifle who he was and how he did things. His sister was important and so were others who showed respect towards him. Ender questioned authority and not everyone wanted to accept that part of his character. There are important takeaway messages about humanity and how to exist with others. Not your average science-fiction film!

I am thinking of going back to the books and reading them again-it's been about twenty years since I read them.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:58 pm

Actress Monica Bellucci did not realize what role she would have in the next Bond movie. She was thinking she was being considered for the role of M, Bond's boss. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11428004/Oldest-Bond-Girl-Monica-Bellucci-I-thought-I-was-replacing-Judi-Dench.html

If anything, a role in an action film franchise can be a very hard one. Kudos to the director for providing a role for an older actress-appreciative fans will be thrilled to see another demographic group represented in the cast!
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:44 pm

Maleficient offers the other side of the Sleeping Beauty story--what led to the curse put on Sleeping Beauty's life? Why, a tale of a relationship that was not requited. Rather novel tale and the narrator's voice is female. Must admit the screenwriter had some snappy lines for the cast to say. The cast either is British or Celtic sounding and even the US actors seemed to strive to sound British.

Recommended viewing for those who appreciate another perspective on a familiar story. PG rated but there's a note about frightening scenes-this film might be best for tweens and up, as adolescence topics can come out of viewing the movie.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:56 pm

Words and Pictures is a movie from last year with Clive Owen and Juliette Binoche playing the lead roles. The premise is what happens when words are teamed against pictures-which conveys the human experience better? Also, the movie puts much emphasis on why each teacher loved their fields of work.

Very witty dialogue and high schoolers can gain an appreciation for older works in both English and art plus enjoy the references to modern communication technology made in the movie. Recommended viewing.

The topic of student peer bullying is deftly woven into the plot too.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:10 pm

Fans of Wallace & Grommit, do you remember their woolly sheep friend, Shaun? Guess who has his own movie? Yes!
Shaun the Sheep: The Movie will have its Canadian debut at the Toronto International Film Festival's Kids Festival this month.

http://tiff.net/festivals/tiffkidsfestival15/premium-events

I'd be all for a woolgathering session with some popcorn and a viewing of Shaun's movie!
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Fri May 01, 2015 2:31 pm

This is Where I Leave You is a true popcorn movie for adults. I would not advise eating anything else or even having a beverage because the screenplay has the characters saying too many blunt things to each other and to loved ones. However, the premise is a fine setting for showing how some adults handle adulthood better than others. Some adults still have some youthful hangovers that flare up. Be prepared for all of the breast enhancement references made to the matriarch, played by Jane Fonda, whose character seems intent on showcasing her bustline in many scenes.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:44 pm

Book of Life, an animated movie about life in a small Mexican town and a wager between two entities that control the afterlife (the Remembered and the Forgotten) with much of the story related to the Mexican Day of the Dead (Nov. 2) customs. The introduction starts off with a bus of school kids not looking forward to their museum visit but their savvy tour guide has figured out how to get them interested in the visit.

100 Foot Journey, with Helen Mirren and Om Puri in the lead roles along with Manish Dayal, is a culinary love story that takes place in France. A visual delight and interesting story about food, love, cultures and finding one's own path.

I recommend both titles for viewing because they are not in the line of usual film titles that the North American audiences tend to be exposed to.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:19 pm

Women will get the point of Ricki and the Flash: it can still be hard to be women outside of traditional roles and with some economic challenges to boot. Toss in relationship issues and the need to find a way to go on in trying social situations...this is a popcorn and music movie.

Start off by watching the Special Features on the DVD first, before the movie.

1) Meryl Streep gave a stunning performance as the character, Ricki.
2) Scriptwriter gave both men and women significant lines.
3) Movie comes across as a 21st century themed Steel Magnolias without the support group and money.
4) Mamie Gunner reminded me of Jennifer Grey, as Ferris Bueller's long-suffering sister.
5) There are some biting realities about social classes and money mentioned too.
6) Soundtrack has old rock, new pop and a closing track that is unexpected. The soundtrack CD would be a fine addition to one's music collection.
7) When Ricki sounds off about some men-women insights on-stage, she is given the silence treatment and is shut-down by one of her bandmates. That's a telling scene.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment