Movie Reviews

Music, Movies, TV, Humor, Anime, Books
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Re: Movie Reviews

Post by CielOnTap » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:24 pm

Anyone who has ever had an opinion on actors who should have been James Bond--well, the same goes for fans of The Equalizer, now that the movie (based on the tv series, which inspired my choice of winter coat one year) is set to go into production.

Russell Crowe's accent is the only thing going for him in his lead role as The Equalizer, in my opinion. Mr. Crowe better live up to Edward Woodward's styling of the character, as he was a refined and strategic fellow, with the odd bit of undercover work with Nick and the team.

Crowe tapped as 'The Equalizer'
By WENN.COM

Russell Crowe is preparing to step into the role made famous by the late Edward Woodward in a big screen remake of The Equalizer.

The Gladiator star has signed up to tackle a new film adaptation of the 1980s action series, which starred Woodward as an ageing New York vigilante with a mysterious past who solves problems and settle scores.http://jam.canoe.ca/Movies/2010/06/16/1 ... story.html
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Post by CielOnTap » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:26 pm

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0330229/

Dolls, 2002 was airing on a French station tonight. The movie is very visual with most of the dialogue near the beginning of the film. Though I did not see the very start, I did get to see the scenes at the church.

Given that the seasons are shown and likely represent a metaphor for the seasons of love, I found the movie something I could not turn away from. Since the station is a publicly owned one, it did not have a commercial break. Yes, if the film had been a North American production, there would have been an incessant soundtrack instead of the silence and sounds of nature. Recommended viewing if anyone wants to experience cinematic quiet for a great deal of the film.
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Post by CielOnTap » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:22 pm

Coco Avant Chanel--it was somewhat not what I expected but the designer had an insight and perseverance to design hats and apparel her way, stuck through some trying social scenes in order to get someone to try her designs and got two men with money to support her ambitions. Her loneliness was evident and her delight was also visible: seeing society women at the horse races with her sister, hearing the news that the man she loved was getting married to another woman, and having the nerve to cut up men's apparel to make a riding outfit that was envied by her host's female guests (sidesaddle and high fashion not mixing well). She wore her outfits and it took time to get appreciation from others for what she knew would suit women well.

She did enjoy discovering new fabrics and making new designs with them--and she used scissors well!
80s pop music fan here!

Speak-Ez
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Speak-Ez » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:12 am

deja vu wrote: Fourth Pirates 'in development'

A fourth film in the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise was among a raft of projects unveiled by the
Disney studio at a Hollywood showcase this week.

If realised, Johnny Depp will reprise his role as Captain Jack Sparrow.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7635376.stm

Like the Pirates movies so far? This one will have to work hard to top the others.
I heard an interesting Mr. Depp interview was on YouTube. This is actually just the part of the interview where a surprise came up. In fact, it's clear that even Mr. Letterman is quite surprised.

I'm not going to give any hints. Just look for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwkS-ERu ... re=related

________Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something.________

smitty

Post by smitty » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:08 pm

Unfortunately we obtain these movie reviews to sometimes the actors. Thing is I do not go to movies as it costs to much to park, the cost of a ticket, the people all around you to spilling this or that. You see in mind I do not like crowds even at a parade or you name it.

I could care less as to who the actor is be he or she good or you name it.

It is at home I will pick up something I will like to watch on my own. For instance I like documentaries, to History to nature. Not the usual movies avaliable in a video even though I can obtain them on my TV screen if I make contact to Shaw Cable. At least the latter would be somewhat to my way of watching or injoying.

CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Post by CielOnTap » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:34 pm

MGM files for bankruptcy
Published 1 hour 18 minutes ago
Associated Press
LOS ANGELES, CALIF.—Hollywood studio Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc., the home of James Bond, says it has filed for bankruptcy protection as the culmination of a long process to restructure its finances with the support of lenders.

The "pre-packaged" bankruptcy plan should allow MGM to emerge quickly. It's set to merge with Spyglass Entertainment, whose co-CEOs will lead the company. http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/mo ... bankruptcy

Movie studios are not forever--how soon will the next Bond film be greenlighted (approved) for production?
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Post by CielOnTap » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:09 pm

New Bond movie confirmed

Well, if the National Enquirer has its sources, then the tabloid has got it right. Expect to read about actresses competing to be the lead again, as happened last year prior to the MGM situation needing financial attention.

Though, is there a natural limit to the Bond stories? I would enjoy seeing Michelle Yeoh come back in another Bond story but with less stunt work and more acting time.

It is rather unnatural to see a middle-aged actor bantering with an actress one-generation younger as his love interest. Producers have to stop taking the Hollywood view that age-paired leads don't work well. I mean Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton were very well received in their last movie.
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Post by CielOnTap » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:20 pm

Coraline is PG movie but do note the little box stating thematic elements, scary images, some language and suggestive humo(u)r. There is a scene where two elderly women do a stage show with costumes that seem very vaudeville and scant. The idea of buttons being sewn for eyes--shown at the start of the film and promoted in the second half. The Other Mother-what a work of imagination. It is hard work keeping up the illusion. The real mother keeps being interrupted by Coraline, who wants some fun with her folks.

I'd say this movie could be a conversation starter for the tween set and their parents. Note that God's name is used in vain a couple of times.

The DVD is a version of Nightmare Before Christmas but diluted somewhat-scare factor can cause some night dream fright.
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Post by CielOnTap » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:28 pm

Waiting for God is a BBC series of old where the residents have the best dialogues. I used to watch it on various stations (it did not stay long on them) because it showed seniors living it up, somewhat like teenagers at a slow pace.

Seasons Three to Five are on DVD and waiting for attention. Will the episode where Tom drives off with the local bus be on one of the disks? He has a huge imagination.
80s pop music fan here!

Tsukihime
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Tsukihime » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:06 pm

Princess Sissi had something to do with Austria forging a connection with Hungary--she loved the people and got her husband made King but the movie about her life in Austria showed a mother-in-law intent on ruling Sissi by taking the grandchild away from Sissi. Hubby Franz almost did not get to be King, because he knew the Hungarians wanted to see Sissi by his side.

All I knew about this Sissi was that she ended her own life and living large as an Austrian was not a reality show that would feature her.
That's princess to you.