Let The Music Do The Talking

Music, Movies, TV, Humor, Anime, Books

Re: Let The Music Do The Talking

Postby smitty on Sat May 19, 2012 1:41 pm

I hop Jin Yoo will progess on to even more.

I noted in the newspaper someone was going to teach hip hop at a school. The days of Western music & the few dancers have fadded off.

I am not in favour of Hip Hop compared to some of the other music & how people will dance to it.

YES Think You Can Dance Canada is still going strong. This time with a maze of dancers in many forms of dancing. My gosh how those in their late teen or early 20s dance is beyond the thinking of most of us. Also the orchestra will play a good variations of music for them.

I have a hunch the American part like Canada has faded out for I have not seen they in past two years & what a pity for with a larger population then larger number of good dancers.

I know Dance with a Star is still going, with best of music, but one can always start the STAR dancer compared to the not so experienced dancer. Though think most like it because of the music & not Hip Hop or other forms close to it.

Why "Think You Can Dance Canada" is was down at Channel 52 has me wondering.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Mon May 21, 2012 9:27 am

Music fans in California had a chance to see SMTown Live World Tour III in concert yesterday at the Honda Center in Anaheim. I had not realized that a new tour was happening. Last year, the second tour did go to Brazil, New York City and some other major cities. It would be wonderful if SMTown could bring the show to Toronto (ahem, where COBU was filmed with BOA last year and part of this year)...

The K-pop artists were on an episode of Star King in Brazil which featured some samba dancers who did twirl a K-pop artist or two on the dance floor. I came across the video online while looking for music.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:49 pm

The estate of Amy Winehouse will release an album of new songs featuring the late singer on July 17. There are plans for another album to follow.
The song that is on the Internet had NAS rap on the Cherry Wine song that is on the July album.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:00 pm

PSY's Gangnam Style video has been a popular Youtube sensation and the singer/comedian has appeared in the US at some well-known places in California and performing his song. He also is signed with Justin Bieber's music company label, Island Records, to promote his music in the United States.

Scooter Braun, Mr. Bieber's manager, had tweeted today about fans needing to watch Saturday Night Live's season opening episode tonight--it seems connected to PSY but will the real PSY show up or will a parody be shown?

I watched the original video of Gangnam Style (Gangnam being a wealthy and supposedly staid part of Seoul but the interview PSY did around the time of the VMAs indicated that Gangnam is like Beverly Hills in California). The man (Yoo Jaesuk) in the yellow suit dancing in the parking garage is another well-known South Korean entertainer/comedian who is usually seen on Family Outing and other reality television shows.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:17 pm

Family Outing, in case you are curious, features popular entertainers who do challenges in a community setting. A reality show in which sometimes the lodging is plainer than what the guests normally have, and could involve farming or aquaculture tasks that may be timed or involve a reward for best overall team effort. Usually there is a leader selected--the process is made more entertaining for the viewers when the guests build up anticipation at the reveal of the symbol, word or object that signals the leader.

I'm watching season 2 episode 3 with English subtitles and the Family has failed to open the door to the nice white house within the three-minute time (including retrieving the key ring that the production director so obviously tossed into the mud flat) , so all have moved their bags into the ruined house next door-the only redeeming feature is the view, not the lack of privacy or walls or electricity. Their next task is to move rocks to oyster breeding grounds so the oysters have something to stick to.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:35 pm

Psy appeared on the American Music Awards last weekend. What I did not realize was that he was sharing the stage with another performer, MC Hammer. Seems that Gangnam Style is THE song that some singers want to mashup with one of their own hit songs.

You can see the Psy and MC Hammer appearance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOyo7JD7hjo&feature=g-logo online.

As a fan of Dream High, I recognized Too Legit To Quit as the closing credit song in episode 10? of Dream High where the dance teacher is dancing with two male students to the song. I wonder if singer/actor JYP saw the MVA performance or had a hand in arranging MC Hammer to appear with Psy.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:04 pm

Japan's Kohaku Utagassen variety show for New Year's Eve won't feature Korean pop acts this year (the governments are arguing over ownership of islands and tv network host NHK is sensitive to public opinion).

But there is a longtime Japanese enka singer who is also sidelined from the show, due to how business matters at her company were handled this past spring. Sachiko Kobayashi is finding out how cold shouldered the music industry can be and for her, tv appearances are vital to keeping enka singers in the public eye and paid. Ms. Kobayashi is the one with the costume that transforms partway through her song to reveal another costume and possible rigging or platform elevation.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/fd20121021pb.html
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:56 pm

Not what you want, I feel CielOnTap, for it is Broadway music in the jazz form for me. Some-times I will aim at the vocalist.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:56 pm

South Korean rapper Psy, having completed his half-time show (I hadn't seen it but a family member did on TV) in Toronto, is looking ahead to performing with Phillipine artists in four days' time at a mall concert performance to benefit the people impacted by Typhoon Pablo. http://www.allkpop.com/2012/12/psy-to-hold-the-gangnam-show-concert-in-manila-philippines

Psy's music has also been included in Korean language institute lessons using K-pop and K-drama segments to teach vocabulary and language use. The Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism in South Korea launched the new language lessons this fall through the institute's website as well as through cable tv. http://www.hancinema.net/hallyu-dramas-to-be-used-for-overseas-language-education-47061.html?spoilerfree=1 I discovered this new program by chance, as I had found a posting relating to the 10th anniversary of a drama series and then saw the language post as the drama is featured in the lessons.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:35 pm

This is close to Xmas time & I am continually looking for programs for choirs, to good singers on music of that time, but very few & then the darn commercials take of a maze of the time.
smitty

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment