IF you won the lottery

Music, Movies, TV, Humor, Anime, Books

IF you won the lottery

Postby deja vu on Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:50 am

What would you do with the money? Spend and save it wisely or go crazy and be broke within
a year?

One thing is for sure you suddenly have a lot of long lost relatives coming out of the woodwork.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: IF you won the lottery

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:28 am

Student celebrates $12 million lottery win
Tue Sep 30, 1:55 PM
LONDON (Reuters) - The credit crisis and tight student budgets hold no fears for a British teenager who won 7 million pounds ($12.68 million) on the Lottery.

Ianthe Fullagar, 18, from Cumbria, northern England, said she still plans to go to university next year to study law, despite her huge win on the EuroMillions game.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/080930/odds/odd_us_lottery_1

She has her school tuition and expenses covered now!

As for myself, a big win would be at least $1 million. There would be shopping for home repair items, footwear, a trip to Japan or Europe or both. No boats or fancy houses, but a residence in a new community near transit would very much be on! Then friends would have a place to lodge on visits. At least dental visits would be affordable with that kind of win. :D
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby fishandchips on Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:50 pm

Only if it was at least $1m:
Think about plans and jot them on paper.
Arrange a time to collect prize and then visit the bank (to advise of withdrawals).
Take phone off of the hook for the next few days and have a pub night with friends.
Give to community services to help the citizens in need of them.
Go clothes shopping and check out used cars; help some friends get their goals to gain traction.
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:44 pm

I would be fairly frosty with long-lost relatives, especially ones who had dropped contact.

However, treating friends out to an evening of food, music and fun at a restaurant sounds ideal for a night out. Greek restaurants would be leading contenders, followed by buffet ones to accommodate friends requiring vegetarian options beyond pasta or soy dishes.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:04 pm

6/49 win nets colleagues $40 million

Nov 07, 2008 04:30 AM
Megan Ogilvie
Staff Reporter

Now that he has more than $10 million in his pocket, Mark Waters is going to pack his bags, hop on a plane and travel the world.

"Once I finish up work, I'm going to throw a whole bunch of destinations in a hat, pick out the first one and just go there," he said, a grin stretching across his face.

The 47-year-old financier from Ottawa expects to be smiling for months to come. He and three other colleagues from the finance department of Nav Canada, a private company that owns Canada's civil air navigation service, won Saturday's Lotto 6/49 jackpot – the largest single-ticket win in Ontario.

http://www.thestar.com/living/article/532447
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby fishandchips on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:12 pm

Lovely to hear of the group win-more shared. I did read that article earlier. To think there will be four job openings posted soon is a bonus for people looking to work in finance.
fishandchips

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:30 pm

Buying some winter clothing to give to clothing banks and some cases of food for food banks, as well as any soup kitchens helping individuals with meals during these months, would be a good start of sharing one's win.

I was discussing my ideas with someone close to me and the response was "you'd be a fool." It depends on the perspective, I guess.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Re: If YOU won the lottery

Postby fishandchips on Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:15 pm

More ideas on the topic:
-support local fashion industry by buying items made in area
-support local agriculture and fill the freezer with fruits, vegetables and meats from suppliers
-get fencing to keep the neighbours' dogs at large from using the yard as their bathroom-big annoyance and then some.
(so much for showing consideration to others)
-solar-powered lighting and heating renovations to keep the house cozy
-buy toys for charity drives for kids in need and make teen bundles of sport socks, personal care items and clothing
fishandchips

Postby CielOnTap on Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:36 pm

Wife's 'nagging' led to $7.5m Powerball win
12:09PM Tuesday Dec 09, 2008

A woman's "nagging" led her husband to buy a ticket in the $7.5 million Powerball with a couple of minutes to spare on Saturday night.

The Auckland man bought a lucky dip ticket only two minutes before the draw close off - and scooped the top prize of $7.5 million.

"My wife had been nagging me all week to get a ticket, so I when saw the Lotto sign in Westgate (Mall) I sprinted in to get the ticket before they closed at 7 pm," he said today.

"I must have been their last customer of the night." http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10547213

May the couple enjoy a vacation free of electronic distractions soon after their win. See the world perhaps.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby fishandchips on Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:15 pm

A pub owner is now making plans to do other things--anyone want to buy a pub? Good for him to have this opportunity to change his hours and his living!

Last call at the Arms
Pub owner plans to walk away after winning $9.2M in lottery

By SHEENA FINDLAY, SUN MEDIA

Last Updated: 16th December 2008, 4:24am
It's the last call for the owner of a Markham pub,

Ted D. Mitroff, 54, owner of King Edward Arms, is the city's newest multimillionaire after winning $9.2 million in last Wednesday's Lotto 6/49 jackpot. The Toronto man picked up his cheque from the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corp. office yesterday.

"I've put in a lot of years and long hours, seven days a week and things like that. I think I need a break," he said.

He plans to leave the English-style pub that he's owned for almost 12 years, "as quickly as possible." http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2008/12/16/7763391-sun.html
fishandchips

Next

Return to Entertainment