IF you won the lottery

Music, Movies, TV, Humor, Anime, Books

Re: IF you won the lottery

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:27 pm

Lotto Max has a $50M jackpot this Friday. $5 for a ticket is a big deal to me as I try not to spend more than $5 on lottery at a time. Even for a Lotto Max ticket, I was not assured of a free ticket win, let alone a cash prize.

Find scratch tickets more exhilarating yet I have not had a big win on those tickets.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:37 pm

Two Canadian lottery stories:

Someone has a Hamilton-purchased lottery ticket worth $7M dollars-
http://www.thespec.com/news-story/4272890-the-streak-continues-7m-winning-ticket-for-6-49-jackpot-sold-in-hamilton/
A Calgarian will put his $40M lottery win into his family foundation with disbursements to charities supporting cancer services-
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2013/12/16/calgary_lotto_winner_says_hell_donate_40_million_jackpot_to_charity.html

Meanwhile, the Lotto Max jackpot is at $50M this Friday and the associated Max Millions number at 50 potential $1M winners.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby yukon on Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:31 pm

Ciel, there is also a Mega million lottery in the US that is also open to Canadians. It's at 636 million for tonight's draw. That is insane and if the winner takes it in one lump sum he/she will still get over 341 million before taxes. I don't know how they figure that one out, if you win 636, why not take the tax off that amount, not cut in almost in half and then take the taxes off. Geez, that is not fair.

Good news is if any Canucks win, we are taxed under US rules, BUT think the lucky Canuck can claim back the tax under RevCan rules. Always keep receipts to prove you paid Uncle Sam some big bucks or it will really screw you up.

Hopefully that big a prize has a few winners, that is just too much for one person to deal with.
The Moose sees all, hears all, knows it all. Listen to your
local moose, Folks!
yukon

Postby deja vu on Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:09 am

If you bought a ticket in San Jose, California and Atlanta Georgia, make sure you double check because there are 2 lucky winners out there.

This explains their payout system and I think the 30 year plan is smarter. Still a lot of money, but it guarantees you still have some left in case you go crazy with the first payment. Who ever won they need to take their time to let it sink in and make some good financial choices.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12 ... orgia?lite

The $636 million — before taxes — is on the table only if a winner or winners is willing to spread the payments out over 30 years. If it's taken all at once, it's worth "only" $341 million.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:37 pm

In the US, residents pay lottery taxes to the IRS so lump sum amounts are after-tax numbers-this also applies to game show winnings. Taking the money annually is good for long term planning-learning how to invest/to donate/to gift takes times.

The Tim Hortons chain in Canada and the US has its Roll Up the Rim contest out for a month. The contest began this week and Toyota cars remain the top prizes. As this is the 50th anniversary year, online game players get a second chance each day to spin the retro wheel based on the original Tim Horton's brown and gold colour scheme. Customers buying drinks need to check the rolled up rim on two sides for prizes, not just one side as is the usual. Need a Rim Roller? Lee Valley Tools sells the gadget through its catalogue order site.

Lotto Max tonight has a $50M jackpot and 10 MaxMillion prizes available to be won. Tomorrow' Lotto 6-49 has a $5M jackpot and I have a free ticket to play for that draw. One ticket winner has the rights to the $17M jackpot from Wednesday's Lotto 6-49 draw.

Spain's lottery corporation has a special March lottery draw for $84M Euros. As Spain is also feeling the economic pinch, Spainards are likely dreaming of financial freedom when they purchase their lottery tickets.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby manga2read on Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:46 pm

Big money prizes appeal; the media attention, no. Do I want a group of hangers-on every time I need bathroom tissue or need a new clothing item? Or flashes from cameras as I go into or leave from a store?

Really tempted to be that obnoxious person with a loud sound system-playing my favorite songs loud-but I like my neighbours so wouldn't want to bother them unnecessarily. Now, if I won the lottery and threw a street party, that could be fun the first time.
a word with you
manga2read

Postby yukon on Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:27 pm

A Pennsylvania man mistakenly threw $1.25 million worth of winning lottery tickets in the trash. The tickets were sold at Zhou Grocery in York.

Wendy Hinton works at the store. She tells the York Daily Record that a regular who played the same numbers every day bought 25 tickets, each worth $50,000. She says he misread them and threw them away.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/loc ... 21671.html

He will be in the dog house for a long time if he is married. I am a little surprised that the state lottery office couldn't find a way to prove the tickets are his as they did with a lady from Ontario, Canada.
The Moose sees all, hears all, knows it all. Listen to your
local moose, Folks!
yukon

Postby 123duyusee on Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:31 pm

A woman who played the Powerball lottery for the first time in the US happened to win the jackpot! She e-mailed her work colleagues to check the news and they'd understand why she was e-mailing them.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/beginners-luck-first-time-powerball-player-wins-90-million-n262126
The count is in...
123duyusee

Postby alohasand on Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:51 pm

I would gladly practice my writing for an hour to get the ideal signature for signing a winning lottery check over to the bank for deposit. Good prize for a first lotto ticket!
Staycation=stay at home and do fun things inexpensively.
alohasand

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:59 am

The Canadian Lotto 6-49 jackpot of $35M has been won by one ticket. The jackpot had grown during January draws.
http://www.680news.com/2015/01/18/one-winning-ticket-for-35-million-jackpot-in-saturday-nights-lotto-6-49/
The Canadian Press Jan 18, 2015 08:57:52 AM
TORONTO – There was one winning ticket for the $35-million jackpot in Saturday’s Lotto 6-49 draw.

Officials say it was sold in Toronto.

The next Lotto 6-49 draw on Wednesday will have a jackpot worth an estimated $5 million.

My free play ticket matched the bonus number alone>no prize.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment