IF you won the lottery

Music, Movies, TV, Humor, Anime, Books
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Re: IF you won the lottery

Post by CielOnTap » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:17 pm

A Canadian played in a poker tournament and won!

Ont. man who won $3M in poker tournament looks to move out of parents' house
2 hours, 28 minutes ago
By The Canadian Press
TORONTO - Recent biochemistry graduate Poorya Nazari isn't too worried about landing a job in today's tough market. Why? The Toronto-area man knows how to play poker.

The 22-year-old, who still lives at home with his parents, recently returned home from a poker tournament in the Bahamas US$3 million richer. He spent about $700 to gain entry into the PokerStars Caribbean Adventure, and his investment paid off big time. http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/0901 ... illionaire
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Post by CielOnTap » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:51 pm

Seattle man wins Canadian 6/49 draw
By BRETT CLARKSON, SUN MEDIA

Last Updated: 21st January 2009, 8:49am
It was evident Sean Mayer was trying to figure out ways to beat the tax man even while the 51-year-old Seattle-area businessman was collecting a $7.5-million cheque for winning the Jan. 3 Lotto 6/49 draw.

But, because Mayer’s American, he’s going to have to cough up $2.1 million of that prize money to the U.S. government.

“We wish we were Canadian so we didn’t have to pay the taxes,” his wife, Joni, joked yesterday when asked if the couple felt guilty for being American and winning a huge Canadian jackpot.

Mayer, a senior director of construction for SNC Lavalin, makes monthly business trips to Canada. A day or two before the Jan. 3 draw, he bought his lucky ticket at the Petro Canada on Goreway Dr. in Brampton. http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoa ... 96576.html

Since there is the possibility of an out-of-country winner for a jackpot, the winner is fortunate to be able to make the trip to the lottery office to claim the prize. The Ontario lottery corporation won't mail winnings to other countries.
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Post by CielOnTap » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:52 pm

Talk about ideal timing to win money when one is having job and car issues!

Lotto follows redundancy
5:00AM Saturday Jan 24, 2009

A man from Auckland's North Shore who put his holiday plans on hold after being made redundant last year has won more than $5.7 million in Lotto's Big Wednesday. "Now the world is my oyster," said the man, who wanted to remain anonymous. "My house is in great need of repair and my car just died so this has happened at the best time for me."

From Weekend Herald.
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Post by CielOnTap » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:47 am

Glad to discover that the Lotto 6-49 jackpot is splitting between three tickets in last night's draw!
Three winning tickets for $44 million 6-49 jackpot
By THE CANADIAN PRESS

TORONTO - There are three winning tickets for the $44 million jackpot prize in Saturday night's Lotto 6-49 draw.

It's the fourth-largest lottery jackpot in Canadian history. http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2009 ... 86-cp.html
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Post by CielOnTap » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:12 pm

$14.8M winner vows to share
Promised Hortons' 'girls' $30,000 cut of big prize

Jan 27, 2009 04:30 AM
Jason Miller
STAFF REPORTER

Five former employees of a St. Catharines Tim Hortons should get a sweet treat the next time Jorma Hogbacka sees them.

"There was five girls working down there and I promised when I win the big money, I'd give each one of them $30,000," the 60-year-old St. Catharines man said yesterday as he held a $14.8 million cheque at the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corp. prize centre in downtown Toronto.

Hogbacka, single and childless, plans to honour that vow if he can find the former employees of his old coffee haunt in the city. http://www.thestar.com/News/Ontario/article/577873
Generosity indeed! Wish the gentleman success in finding each person to whom he promised winnings.
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Post by CielOnTap » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:48 pm

Two of the former Tim Horton's staff have received their $30,000 cheques from the lottery winner.

6/49 winner makes good on pledge

BOB TYMCZYSZYN/THE CANADIAN PRESS
Tim Hortons waitresses each collect $30,000 tip; 4 others still to be found
Jan 30, 2009 04:30 AM

ST. CATHARINES–As soon as newly minted millionaire Jorma Hogbacka handed over certified cheques worth $30,000 to two former Tim Hortons employees, he got a double-double hug in return.

It took four days, but Hogbacka made good yesterday on an old promise to share his $14.8 million Lotto 6/49 win with a group of former Tim Hortons employees in St. Catharines.

Wearing green cotton pants and a red jacket, Hogbacka looked a bit like a jovial elf as he stood in front of a bank in St. Catharines and gave Melissa Grivich, 24, of Welland and Sithorn Chuon, 24, of St. Catharines their slice.

Four more lucky women are still out there: Tanya, Jessica, Meredith and Glenda – all known to Hogbacka only by their first names. http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/579560
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Post by CielOnTap » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:31 pm

6/49 win good news in bad time
Single electrician, 50, claims share of jackpot

Jan 31, 2009 04:30 AM
Jason Miller
Staff Reporter

David Thompson didn't sleep all night after a machine at a newsstand in East York Town Centre rang out with the sound Thursday that confirmed his 6/49 ticket was a $14.8 million winner.

"I put the ticket back in my pocket," he said. "I went home, signed it and just sat there. All night I couldn't sleep. I kept on dreaming that I lost the ticket." http://www.thestar.com/article/580217

The intent to buy a car must help the auto sector. Maybe it can be from the dealership in which the staff had a win of their own not too long ago?
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Post by CielOnTap » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:11 pm

Jobless German cracks jackpot: lottery
1 hour, 40 minutes ago
BERLIN (AFP) - One of two Germans to crack a multi-million-dollar jackpot had just lost his job when his company fell victim to the economic crisis, lottery organisers said Tuesday.

The winner, a 40-year-old bachelor, said he had been stunned to have been struck by such good and bad luck in such a short time as he savoured his 17.5-million-euro (22.7-million-dollar) win.

"It look my breath away," he told Toto-Lotto Lower Saxony when he called to say he had the right numbers, the company said.

"Now I can take my time looking for a new position and don't have to just any odd job that presents itself." http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/090203/o ... ry_offbeat

Will he share his prize with other jobseekers who could use some cheer? Good timing to get a prize and have the opportunity to plan out his future.
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Post by CielOnTap » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:59 pm

Insider lottery ban eyed
Total is double the amount of early estimates, prompting gaming bosses to tighten security again.
Feb 05, 2009 11:09 AM
Paola Loriggio
Staff Reporter

Ontario's ombudsman says he'll call for retailers, staff and their families to be banned from buying lottery tickets if what he calls "insider fraud" doesn't drop drastically within six months.

An audit released yesterday by the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corp. "demonstrates that despite all the measures, despite the publicity, despite the denunciations, insider fraud still happens," Andre Marin told a news conference this morning.

"If insiders prove to be an ungovernable lot, we should ban them from playing the lottery." Insider Ban?

Nothing like undercutting the presumption of innocence of wrongdoing by saying that all immediate domiciled residents of lottery retailers' and OLG staff's homes cannot buy lottery tickets because they are automatically all "insiders." This sounds very similar to the Ontario government's past proposal to automatically restrict all teen drivers' ability to drive on roads, at most times of day, and even how many passengers could travel in the car. For teens carpooling from areas without public transit, the proposed driving restrictions would affect their ability to get to school. So the government listened to the parents and teens who let their views be known and scrapped some of the rules.

The audit of lottery wins was long overdue, as the television report on the elderly man who knew his prize has been stolen proved a few years ago. The OLG did not look into the matter thoroughly until that report aired. However, if OLG staff are to market products they sell but cannot buy themselves, how is any buyer going to see the benefit of buying those products?

Further down the line, the proposed widening of the "insider" definition could affect volunteers selling the Nevada tickets in cafeterias as fundraising money. Spouse works at a store and sells lottery tickets? Sorry, you cannot volunteer to sell the tickets for us.
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Post by CielOnTap » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:08 pm

Second largest lotto jackpot draw in Canadian history rings in at $48 million
1 hour, 21 minutes ago
By The Canadian Press

Across the country Canadians are practising their happy dance in high hopes they'll hold the winning ticket for Saturday night's Lotto 6/49 draw.

At an estimated $48 million, it's the second largest jackpot in the country's history. http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/0902 ... lotto_draw
80s pop music fan here!