Stephen Colbert's ideas

Music, Movies, TV, Humor, Anime, Books

Stephen Colbert's ideas

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:36 pm

Mr. Colbert is teaming up with farm labourers to promote Americans to take their agricultural jobs. There are catches of course and Mr. Colbert is going to get some comedy mileage out of the material.

Immigrant farm workers' challenge: Take our jobs
By JULIANA BARBASSA, Associated Press Writer

Associated Press June 24, 2010 04:51 PM Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Thursday, June 24, 2010
(06-24) 16:51 PDT San Francisco, CA (AP) --

In a tongue-in-cheek call for immigration reform, farm workers are teaming up with comedian Stephen Colbert in a challenge to unemployed Americans: Come on, take our jobs.

Farm workers are tired of being blamed by politicians and anti-immigrant activists for taking work that should go to Americans and dragging down the economy, said Arturo Rodriguez, the president of the United Farm Workers of America.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/06/24/financial/f123602D17

With the Fourth of July weekend coming along in about 10 days, Mr. Colbert could think up PSAs to remind Americans how those berries and produce get to their tables and how long it took to harvest them. Holiday means food.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Re: Stephen Colbert's ideas

Postby 123duyusee on Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:20 pm

Does the writer that comes up with the best idea for Colbert to go public with get a financial bonus or trip to a destination? It takes guts to run a campaign for farm jobs. We'll probably be shocked if seniors go for the work to supplement pensions and maybe their teen grandkids will join them. Or anyone ok with outdoor work and few rules--just have to mind what health they have not to lose it in a field or orchard. It would not be good to deal with exploitive bosses or jerks who do whatever to wear a person down.
The count is in...
123duyusee

Postby pretzels on Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:34 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rick-hanson-phd/dont-keep-fear-alive-for-_b_746255.html
Posted: October 3, 2010 08:00 AM
Stephen Colbert: We Don't Need To 'Keep Fear Alive'

Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert have dueling rallies in DC coming soon. Stewart's is "Rally to Restore Sanity" and Colbert's is "March to Keep Fear Alive!"

Obviously, Colbert is a great satirist who is poking fun here, since we sure don't need a rally to keep fear alive. Alarming messages are all around us, like the news about global warming or the "Threat Level Orange" announcements every few minutes in the airport.

Some of those messages are true and worth heeding. For example, dumping carbon into the atmosphere must inevitably make the planet hotter; it's basic physics.

But others are wildly exaggerated: the actual odds of a bad event on your airplane flight are "Threat Level Chartreuse" -- a bucket of green paint with a drop of yellow.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No, those travel alerts by the US Homeland Security help keep Fear Alive. I don't get Stephen Colbert sometimes-he rallies for a cause with laughs but what's he doing it for--freedom to do comedy his way for a paycheque? He'll have to cash out someday soon.

But Colbert did appear on some Congressional event to speak about those agricultural jobs--for real. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/26/stephen-colbert-steny-hoyer-immigration-testimony_n_739511.html He got airtime with political types. Could you or I have received it if we came dressed up like dollar signs or hobos for testimony?
Old salt on board.
pretzels

Postby pretzels on Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:39 pm

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=11718759 Video link of his testimony if you are interested in watching.
Old salt on board.
pretzels

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:38 pm

Oprah supposedly supports the Rally To Restore Sanity and will take audience members to Washington, D.C. on her tab. Is this a Halloween joke? http://justjared.buzznet.com/2010/10/14/oprah-surprises-daily-show-audience-with-rally-flights/
Stephen Colbert's site: http://www.keepfearalive.com/
Jon Stewart's site: http://www.rallytorestoresanity.com/
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:10 pm

Osbourne and Islam join rally

By WENN.COM
Ozzy Osbourne and Yusuf Islam stunned fans at an ironic, star-studded political rally in Washington, D.C. on Saturday when they took the stage to perform a surprise show for 200,000 peaceful protesters.

American comedians Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert drew thousands to the U.S. capital as they poked fun at political extremists during the event, which featured a star-studded line-up of stage shows.

Philadelphia collective the Roots kicked off the three-hour demonstration with a 40-minute set, including a jam session with singer John Legend, who joined the band for live renditions of Dear God 2.0, Hard Times and Little Ghetto Boy from their collaborative album Wake Up!. http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2010/10/31/15899491.html
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby guitarblues on Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:18 pm

200000 moderate person rally happened yesterday. Good, because the comics will be out for Halloween tonight and then back to making theme jokes on their shows. They can generate media coverage because they spoof the news provided by the media.
You'll be smiling if you sing some songs.
guitarblues

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:40 am

Fallon, Colbert fight over ice cream flavours
Published 50 minutes ago
Jake Coyle
Associated Press
NEW YORK, N.Y.—Stephen Colbert and Jimmy Fallon faced off on Thursday’s The Colbert Report in a mock feud over their respective Ben & Jerry’s flavours.

The ice-cream maker years ago named “Americone Dream” for Colbert, while earlier this week “Late Night Snack” was unveiled for Fallon, host of Late Night on NBC.

The two traded insults, with Fallon claiming Americone Dream was merely a “palate cleanser for ‘Toss.0.’” Colbert said “Late Night Snack” was “pretty good — for 12:30” and compared it to a Fallon Saturday Night Live sketch: “Halfway through, you break down laughing and you can’t finish it.” http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/television/article/948768--fallon-colbert-fight-over-ice-cream-flavours

So Jimmy Fallon was serious about the chocolate covered potato chips--I thought he had made this flavour up for a sketch (not that I watch his show, but if his parodies of celebrites show up on websites, I do watch them i.e. his spoof of Charlie Sheen and the word "winning").
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:38 pm

Honestly admit 123duyusee that I have never heard of this person. Obviously anohther American, but do agree it costs a fortune of money to run during election time.

You did mention orchards & I speak of on for a number of years. In those time I rarely hired anyone other then when it came to picking time & even then if they felt the sun or were a bit tired they were welcome to go home, but come back when ready again for I paid a bit higher they other orchardists. Things like planting trees, pruining, to spraying, to mowing & so much more was done by ME & no one else.

Unfortunately in '46 we had a terribly cold winter that eliminated 25 to 35% of oue fruit trees. Then a decent winter in '47 so a maze of new one year old trees were startarting to grow, though fruit from them would be some years down not to mention the time of taking care of them . Only came the winter of '48 the loss due to a month of super cold weather was simply dramatic.

That was when I reliazed my love of having an orchard was finished & now all the acrage on both orchards is with many lots of houses to those that bought & waited a few yrs for this housing of orchard lots. You see fruit trees are not like vegitables or grains that can grow fully in a season. For I was going to be looking at 12 to 15 yrs to even obtain small pickings from the new trees of a few yrs back.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:41 am

Stephen Colbert got approval for a SUPERPAC from the Federal Election Commission panel. PAC means Political Action Committee. What are the laws regarding election campaign funds? Would Stephen Colbert actually go into office or opposition if he manages to get the votes to do so?

Stephen Colbert prevails before the FEC
By Kim Geiger and Melanie Mason

Los Angeles Times

2:36 p.m. CDT, June 30, 2011
The Federal Election Commission Thursday granted faux talk-show host Stephen Colbert a special exemption to establish a corporate-backed political action committee to run ads on his program.

Colbert had asked the FEC for permission to create a "Colbert Super PAC" that would produce and air election advertisements, with the assistance of resources provided by Viacom -- the parent company of Comedy Central, which airs "The Colbert Report" –- without disclosing the extent of Viacom’s assistance.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-110630colbert-fec,0,4710404.story
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Next

Return to Entertainment