For the love of thread arts (sewing & such)

Music, Movies, TV, Humor, Anime, Books
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Re: For the love of thread arts (sewing & such)

Post by CielOnTap » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:45 pm

Will I make pinch pleats for curtain panel 1 tonight? I sure hope so, after just serging on the header tape to the panel. I took some measurements from the other set of curtains and I probably need to ensure that I will have evenly distributed pleats. I have never done this before, thus my requisite stalling every so often to unhook the existing panels and look at seams, stitching, pleat depth and reach for a snack or wander.

I have the "will it blend?" expression running through my mind right now...we never did see curtains go through that blender on video...
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Post by CielOnTap » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:19 pm

Curtain math-new panel is not as wide as old panel. Either I adjust the pleats' depth or some other adjustment like the spacing between pleats will change. Not up for the math puzzle tonight.

My goal is to figure out panel one by Saturday morning, then replicate feat on panel two. Those curtains have to be done by late Saturday night. There is a skirt project that needs Monday and maybe Tuesday.
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Post by CielOnTap » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:51 pm

The curtains got finished-had to redo the first set of pinch pleats, then curtain two was a faster version of the first one.

I'm a week behind on the skirt but am attempting to adjust the pattern pieces for the pleats so I can cut their fabric versions tonight. Sewing has to wait for Monday. Now if my tailor's chalks would kindly make themselves known-they were last seen after I worked on curtain one and the chalks are not in my sewing supply area.

Yesterday, I had some indecision on what to purchase at a fabric store to get the 40% off discount. Notions that I needed won over any more fabric. Good thing I had overlooked the patterns as they were eligible for that promotion too. Must get my current sewing projects completed to close out December with completed clothing. Looking forward to seeing an empty table soon!
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Post by CielOnTap » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:54 pm

The temptations of a fabulous store for quilters...O.O big eyes have I. Gadgets beckon, fabrics pull me magnetically, notions dazzle me. I walked around the sections I most wanted to see-then looked for two fabrics I wanted and saw one that got a piece cut. Scoped out the sale area-hmm, spotted a couple of prospects shelved there.

So many fabrics...one quilt design allow seems cool for a potential pair of curtains for my room. Just have to buy gadgets, fabrics and allow myself the time to get the blocks cut and sewn, attach linings-then repeat the pinch pleat curtain process. Let's see if this is a project that gets done this year. :geek:
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Post by CielOnTap » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:02 pm

Sochi, Russia is hosting the next winter competition and the 2014 host has a selection of colourful print-like fabrics used in clothing on its official site. Well, there is some spirit showing in the apparel for winter and the items will make great souvenirs of the fabric kind.

Those 7500 Russian Ruble outdoor jackets are about $240 US (before any shipping or other charges).

http://shop.sochi2014.com/en/shop/catalog/apparel/

Also, there are teasets using the familar Matreshka doll image on the three-piece sets.
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Post by CielOnTap » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:02 pm

Scarf print panels are showing up on summer wide-leg pants for women. Sometimes there are tops and jackets using the panels as well. South Korean pop music group 2NE1 is wearing a print in various clothing styles for their latest video, Falling In Love.

Had a recent chance to buy tops and bottoms for a family member. Despite my care in measuring the tops and comparing measurements against a shirt known to fit him, the items were found to be too small for the intended person to wear. I returned two store bags of merchandise but decided to keep the three colourful cotton T-shirts. One shirt will become a pyjama top. I may make pyjama bottoms from a second shirt. The third shirt will be an altered T-shirt with ruffles on the sleeves, once I determine how I can create that effect.
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Post by CielOnTap » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:57 pm

Going to shop for a dress with short sleeves at your local mall? It could be a tough search. Most of the clearance spring/summer styles are sleeveless, mid-thigh or knee length and possibly semi-transparent. Discovered that outcome yesterday while helping someone with the dress quest.

If you do find a sleeved dress, expect to pay in the triple digits especially if it is categorized as transitional/fall styling.

For those of you with a sewing machine collecting dust, get the dust off, the sewing machine oil out and clean that machine! You can break out the 90s styled New Wave dress patterns as they seem to be popular again. Get some fresh fabric prints and away you go making a garment that fits YOU!

AllSaints has dress made of silk with diagonal overlays-it costs over $200 but I can see it worn alone or with leggings for different looks. However the store sizing goes to size 10. Mexx has an oyster tank top with a matching overshell open on on one side-it could be a great summer outfit staple to wear with a skirt, shorts or pants.
80s pop music fan here!

fishandchips

Post by fishandchips » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:58 am

Have an urge to learn to knit--want something I love, love, love in colours I'll wear and that FITS!

Another angry female shopper-nothing on the racks in the stores fits well in the clothing sections. Time to fix that--I want knits that fit. As for sewing--might have to contract that out!
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.

alohasand

Post by alohasand » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:35 pm

Putting on ritzy clothes is not for me. I don't do the ladies who lunch social scene. I do lunch with friends and coworkers and I like some frills on a dress sometimes.

I can not see myself going to pricey stores to find the one dress for one function.
Staycation=stay at home and do fun things inexpensively.

CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Post by CielOnTap » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:56 pm

Not having been impressed by mall offerings of sweaters (too thin and too expensive), I am surprised to find among Avon's merchandise some women's clothing-the machine wash and dry dresses, tops and activewear. Especially two-tone sweaters-they would be great with pants or with a two-toned dress! The buttons look like fake jewels and they do bring some dazzle to the plain colours.
80s pop music fan here!