For the love of thread arts (sewing & such)

Music, Movies, TV, Humor, Anime, Books
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Re: For the love of thread arts (sewing & such)

Post by CielOnTap » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:06 pm

Sewing news read here and there:

-Pantone's 2014 colour is called Radiant Orchid. Am expecting to see cosmetics showing that purple shade along with clothing in the spring fashion pages. I can understand that colour being used as a focus wall that is painted in that shade but not a whole room (unless it has a really high ceiling). Think the colour would lend itself to fabric prints well: florals for spring dresses, multicolour tweeds for suiting or sofa upholstery fabrics, linen-look table accessories, and velvet for jackets or accents on apparel.

-Burda already has some of its Spring/Summer 2014 patterns posted online. Are you also seeing what I'm seeing, a return to 1970's styles? http://www.burdastyle.de/aktuelles/news ... _5145.html

-A story about a newly-transplanted family in Toronto, ON in a major newspaper has resulted in the offer of a new serger purchase for the matriarch, along with fabric and used sewing machine offers. The update to the original story was published this week. The woman used to have her own custom sewing business and wanted to return to sewing and to the teaching of sewing to other Francophone newcomers to Toronto through a non-profit group.
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/12 ... chine.html
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Post by CielOnTap » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:21 pm

It's winter in the Northern Hemisphere while Southern Hemisphere residents (i.e. in Australia) are coping with heat.
Which weather would inspire a sewer to get moving on putting together some new garments? Cold weather probably wins for the time one can be at the sewing machine. If it was hot outside, I would not want to be sewing until the cooler nighttime swung around.

But! I can look ahead and say, "what items does a summer wardrobe need?" A dress, a skirt or shorts, a few tops and a light jacket or long-sleeved top> the more coordinating the prints, the more outfit combinations that are possible. What a happy shopping trip to the fabric store that would be!
Well, winter wardrobes need warmth and practicality with a dash of texture and colour. Hmm, tunics, in jewel tone solids or some dazzling print for portable art impact! Or perhaps a more complicated dressy occasion suit-skirt and jacket or dress and jacket. Winter would allow for some playing around of details, trims, handsewing and generally more time to work with finer fabrics (because minimizing the time one has to resew a seam is rather important with dress fabrics).

All I did was ask someone for their summer outfit preferences for a wedding and the answer was not conclusive. So I may be looking to make two outfits for summer so the person can choose which one she likes. There's a small fabric store that I have yet to explore and I hope inspiring floral prints will beckon to become part of an outfit.
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Post by CielOnTap » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:28 pm

Perusing envelope patterns online, I realized how I bought patterns in the past because the colour photo showed gorgeous fabric for the garment. Fabric I was unlikely to buy due to cost. I see some dress pattens by Vogue Patterns that have a detail I like but not the whole dress. Pleated necklines or sleeves, some draping on the bodice-features that bring some zip to a garment. There's a dress with scalloped edges-I want to know how to make those scallops!
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Post by CielOnTap » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:53 pm

A knit fabric with a vivid pattern would suit a beach dress pattern but I have recycled my Burda Style issue with such patterns. Now the plan is to make a dress from a more recent issue as there are gathers and a cascading skirt (longer hem in the back) that could work. If I am able to figure out substitutions on the pattern pieces (would like a pullover dress then one that zips up, a modified neckline from the deep-v one shown in the pattern), I think I could have it made this week.
Floral prints are coming to mind for other warm weather dresses. I saw tips of daffodils or narcissi poking through a flowerbed while I was doing a final spring raking of pine needles. Another flowerbed had some bright green leafy plants hidden under oak leaves-the green is more emerald green than grass green.
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Post by CielOnTap » Tue May 13, 2014 10:51 pm

Linen blends, cotton prints and safari styling are coming forward with the emerging hot weather. Silk is nice if you can get sandwashed silk for tops, shantung for jackets or slub silk for casual pants or shorts. Beach wear can feature floral prints for board shorts, and pareo wraps that coordinate with swimwear.

Dresses might have stretch fibres to allow for movement. Digital prints come in floral, graphic or miniature prints-yours to discover in fabric stores which carry them. Neoprene features in fashion both on land and in the water-there is a range of colours to express your favourite hue for surfing gear or for beach cafe wear.

Have a favourite pair of shorts or a top you like already in your wardrobe? Copy them by making another pair or shirt in fabric you like that is similar in weight to the original. Sometime you are more likely to make your second items with success than finding retail stores still carrying those favourite items.

For people who have to wear suits in offices, think tropical wool or lightweight wools-they too come in a variety of colours yet keep their wearers cool in the heat (and you may appreciate the buffer against any cold air conditioning that may blow into your workspace).
80s pop music fan here!

burnt fare

Post by burnt fare » Wed May 14, 2014 3:36 pm

To the Radiant Orchid/purple colour deal for 2014-I've seen toasters, coffee makers and some other small appliances with purple sides or plates on them. Change from white/black/steel/neon!
Burger time

CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Post by CielOnTap » Tue May 20, 2014 10:02 pm

A set-aside project in need of seam ripping-how to fix past errors done months ago when the project is suddenly top of mind for getting done.
There's a dress pining for attention to get sewn and a Burda blouse is about 2/3 done except for the travails of zigging edges on fine fabric-there will be ruffles on this top.
Burda Style June issue has some bright colours and patterns for summer wear. Orange is shown with abundance in different pieces.
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Post by CielOnTap » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:35 pm

Summer weather of the hot air kind is making itself known in North America. It's time to look for colourful print fabrics to add zing to summer work wear and free time wear. Maybe a safari jacket is calling for a bold red print so you can leave plain khaki twill behind this summer. Or a maxi dress really does need two or more coordinated fabrics just because they say summer to your intended pattern choice.

Keep synthetics minimal in fibre content except for colder days, when their ability to keep you warm is super-welcome! You want natural fibre blends with a touch of elastane for stretch or some polyester for quick-drying and colourfastness in your garment.

There can be sales-look around, you'll find inspiration! Even home decor fabric cottons can be used just make sure they are not going to weigh you down!

Purple floral linen pieces from a purchased skirt-I'm keen to make a vest or make a short-sleeve cropped jacket from the fabric for summer coverage in cold interiors and on cold buses
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Post by CielOnTap » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:59 am

My inexpensive cotton fabric jacket with shiny mini-dots is done. Have noticed that there are some fit issues. And the little blue dots like to come off like glitter, so I need to watch what I pair the jacket with-another busy print might be good as the print will hide the fallen dots.

At least the linen vest with sleeves is available for a music outing tonight.

Need summer tops (some fitted short sleeve ones and a couple of long sleeve ones) and another pair of pants. A dress is not really in view. A pair of Bermuda shorts would be a good extra item to have.
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Post by CielOnTap » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:10 am

BurdaStyle's August issue has some great summer travel clothing ideas if a vacation or hot climate is on your summer itinerary. Take a look at the patterns using digital prints too: http://www.burdastyle.de/archiv/burda-s ... d_247.html

In New York City, Mood Fabrics has its new fall fashion fabric offerings under New Arrivals. Tempting tones: http://www.moodfabrics.com/fashion-fabr ... ew_arrival

The Ikea 2014 catalogue for Canada does not show its fabrics for sale by the metre. One has to go to the website to see the whimsical prints and the reliable neutrals: http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/categ ... les/10655/

Still have summer clothing to make but need fabric that gives the same feeling? Look for fun prints in quilt stores! Here's one site in the United States: http://www.kikiquilts.com/ Yes, novelty prints make summer sewing easier.
80s pop music fan here!