Top 10 Most Common Superstitions

Music, Movies, TV, Humor, Anime, Books

Top 10 Most Common Superstitions

Postby flipflop on Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:04 pm

1. Friday the 13th

Almost everybody believes this superstition- that Friday the 13th of any month means bad luck. This superstition is so common that a number of hotels are known to have been built without the 13th floor and airlines don’t give tickets for the 13th row. It has been believed that the 13th guest during the Last Supper was Judas and Friday was the day that Christ got crucified. Basically- quite an unlucky day all in all.

2. An Itchy Palm

It is believed that if your left palm itches, it means that you will lose money but if your right one does, you will earn, inherit or receive money. However, you must let it itch because if you go ahead and scratch it, you may end up countering the effect.

3. Walking Under a Ladder

Most rational people don’t walk under ladders lying about because they feel that something may fall on their heads and leave them unconscious. However, those who like to go along with the herd believe that walking under a ladder is equal to bad luck. The “logic” behind this belief is that you will end up awakening evil spirits when you walk through the triangle that the ladder makes with the wall.

Four to ten:

http://top-10-list.org/2010/05/18/ten-c ... e-believe/

Are you superstitious?
flipflop
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Top 10 Most Common Superstitions

Postby smitty on Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:25 pm

When the Alberta section of the Canadain M/C Association had a big meeting in Red Deer Alberta. So getting into the start of teen numbers I came up with "Do not hand out anyone with a #13". Seems others felt the same & form 14 yrs THAT number was ever handed to a competitor.

NOT superstition, but to many m/c rider at the beginning years the point out the incident they were in or whatever & that is when I say "This is the litt le man inside of you that might tell you to go back home & quit riding that day or something about the traffic in or near your town".

Same as a m/cd mechinic that little guy would tell me about the work I was doing on a bike & sometimes I would simply put it aside till the next day. Last thing you want to do is accidently drop a gudgeon pin "circlip" into the bottom half of the powerplant you are working on.

I did it once & fortunately a fine piece of dowel wood & my chewing gum was the only reason I rescued it after 1/2 of a day trying to find that circlip.
smitty

Postby alohasand on Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:28 pm

Some hotels do not mention a 13th floor. Do condo projects skip the number too?
Staycation=stay at home and do fun things inexpensively.
alohasand

Postby manga2read on Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:10 pm

Don't know of the relationship between a mongoose and good luck. I know to watch for a leash if the animal is someone's pet, because the lead could be very long and a mongoose moves FAST. Do I want to get tangled in an animal leash--no.

Salt over shoulder--how common sense can fly out--someone's going to have to wipe or to sweep that salt up sometime!!
a word with you
manga2read

Postby deja vu on Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:00 pm

It's Friday the 13th in some of the world, the rest enjoyed it yesterday.

I treat it like any other day, even when I had an all black cat. Some were weary of her, but she was the sweetest little thing with beautiful yellow eyes. I don't know how anyone could have been scared of her.

The TV news story did a story a few weeks ago about how hard it is to get people to adopt black cats and dogs. They don't seem to have the same fear with black bunnies though. I would owned a black dog in the past and would have no issue with adopting another black cat or dog.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby alohasand on Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:05 pm

If your eyesight is good, then a black-fur pet would be fine. Eyes not so good? Then Fluffy or Fido might blend into the shadows and get trod on or tripped over--which would not be a good owner-pet situation.

The 13 thing-depends on whether you have a choice of avoiding the number or not. It's just another day but for some people, they bring the motorcycles or superstitions out.

Now talk about lunar cycles-gardens depend on you knowing when the moon is right for planting or growing. So the chatter about moon and gardens seems more realistic to follow, old folks' tales or not. Remember, that is how people learned by oral tradition if they did not get schooling or had to work on the farm.
alohasand

Postby pretzels on Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:34 pm

Yesterday was a Friday the 13th. Saw some rain fall, felt the hot sun, noticed motorcycles and their loud exhaust pipes, and did my usual weekday routine.
Old salt on board.
pretzels

Postby deja vu on Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:53 pm

It's back. Happy Friday the 13th to all.

Hug a black cat/dog today, let them know they are loved regardless of fur color. Why would you not love them, it's just a color, and they just want love.

Who could resist these faces?

Image Image
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby alohasand on Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:29 pm

Most furry creatures look cute when very young. That's right, last Friday was a 13th.
alohasand

Return to Entertainment