Trick or Treat

Music, Movies, TV, Humor, Anime, Books

Re: Trick or Treat

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:09 pm

Malls are having Halloween events to make the communal experience "safe." Still, the parents have the responsibility to review costume safety, treat safety and even how trick or treating is done (in groups or with an adult).

It is too easy to assume that kids will help one another out in a situation with scary adults. Then again, scary yards can frighten a child and someone will need to sooth that child if s/he won't go to a door through scary images.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:10 pm

Crash-course in Halloween
Costumes , pumpkins can be a dark mystery to new Canadians
Nicole Baute, Living Reporter
Published On Fri Oct 30
Satomi Takei, 23, shows off her first jack-o’-lantern: a Japanimation-inspired cat she made at a pumpkin carving event run by the University of Toronto’s School of Continuing Studies. NICOLE BAUTE / TORONTO STAR

Aryna Pilkiw isn't afraid to admit it. Last Oct. 31 was her first Halloween, and she was a little bit frightened.

She watched as zombies, ghosts and coffins appeared on Toronto's front lawns. "Oh my God," she thought. "How could people put such awful things in front of their houses?"

Ukrainian-born Pilkiw, 25, is one of many newcomers to Canada who had never celebrated of Halloween. http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/zombies/article/718318--crash-course-in-halloween

Yes, Halloween can be a fright for first-timers to the event. Or a real fear, depending if someone's spooked by the imagery or unexpected pranksters (we do have a thread post about hair turning white somewhere on Speakezforums). I can do without scary music, thanks.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby fishandchips on Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:07 pm

For Wiccans, today is the end of the Celtic year. Tomorrow is the New Year's Day. Many Halloween customs come from Wicca or pagan faiths. Organized religion developed its church days to replace the pagan ones. Hallowed Even(ing)/All Hallows Eve is Hallowe'en and tomorrow's All Saints Day is the Celtic New Year.
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby smitty on Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:13 pm

Good post icecream, & so sensible. This being a farming area of so many fruit farms it was so common to pop in a healthy apple, but then you are right as so many turned up to be with razors in them year after year. Now you do not hear of it. Thank goodness.
smitty

Postby deja vu on Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:15 pm

Unfortunately Smitty, at least one case of a razor in candy has surfaced:

TORONTO (vancouver sun)— Toronto Police Service have issued a warning to parents after a razor blade was found in a Halloween goody bag Saturday.

The incident occurred in the area of Leslie Street and Bannatyne Drive in the Toronto suburb of North York, police said. The razor blade was found inside a loot bag that was filled with candy, said Sgt. Craig Somers. None of the Halloween candies appeared to have been tampered with, he said. Authorities are urging parents to be vigilant and inspect all candy received on Halloween.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby rocks on Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:24 pm

A 4-year-old and his younger brother were happily passing out sweets to callers when father looked down horrified to find the 2-year-old had been handing out the contents of a box of condoms!

@@@

Priceless. Although some parents will not be laughing when they open the kids haul of treats.

Courtesy of sideswipe
Thinking outside of the BOX - what BOX?
rocks

Postby deja vu on Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:57 pm

A Florida man thought he was buying a Halloween decoration when he spent $8 for a box of bones at a yard sale. But when he and his wife got the box home, they realized it was an actual human skeleton, MyFoxTampa.com reported. "I got looking at it and thought, gosh, this is the real thing," recalled Judith Fletcher, wife of Mitchell Fletcher, the retiree who bought the box of bones.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/10/09/ya ... latestnews

A $3,000 treat, not bad for a yard sale find. No information on how the seller came into possesion of the bones. Is it illegal to take them from a University lab?
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby smitty on Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:10 pm

It seems as if parents in most of our small towns watch their children sensibly. Also to go through what they do recceive. No more apples with razor blades in them & hope none wild on handing out illegal drugs are not THAT SENSCLESS. After all in some cases the parents know their children cannot eat peanuts or something with it.

I simply do not turn on my lights outside for I do not know if my reputation of being a non-giver is recognized by others. I have a friend that has lots of goodies for the kids, but only hands out 25% of it & ends up eating himself after which is not good for him.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:52 pm

Today is the customary day that children will go door-to-door for candy treats from neighbours in North America. Parents can remind their charges if still young that only houses with outdoor lights on can be approached. It's also good to set a limit as to how long or how far the door knocking will go.
Many malls have had their Halloween evening indoor trick or treating events this week. There may be some on tonight if you check ahead on the mall websites.

Drivers-weather conditions are wet. Keep aware of costumed pedestrians, who may have flashlights or reflective trims in use to help make them visible on the roads. There may even be rain or snowshowers as well.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:22 pm

Toronto Star and a US major daily both have published stories about teal pumpkins-the colour signifies a residence with non-food treats for kids with allergies.

http://www.thestar.com/life/health_wellness/2014/10/30/teal_pumpkins_let_kids_with_allergies_know_treats_are_safe.html
Which is why she loves the Teal Pumpkin Project — it alerts her that the treats will be safe before she has to tell anyone about William’s allergy.

Boguski recognizes it’s a challenge for parents, especially in classrooms, to be sensitive to a variety of allergies. Before discovering William’s allergy, she followed the rules but was frustrated with how particular they were at his nursery about banning treats made with ingredients that “may contain traces of peanuts.”

“I felt irritated because I wanted to bring in a treat and I just thought: How serious can it be?” Boguski said.

The organization that started the teal pumpkin campaign is FARE:
http://www.foodallergy.org/teal-pumpkin-project#.VFFEiVduqSo
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment