Books-pageturners or doorstoppers?

Music, Movies, TV, Humor, Anime, Books

Books-pageturners or doorstoppers?

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:06 pm

Some books leave readers literally turning the pages to read the story, while some books make better doorstoppers than reading material. There will be titles that fall into the middle area of being good enough to read but not through hours on end.

Suggestions or opinions on books are welcome too! Today in Beijing on NBC last week had concert pianist Lang Lang on the show. The pianist told a story of how his parents met and it is in his biography, Journey of a Thousand Miles. Has anyone read the biography?
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Re: Books-pageturners or doorstoppers?

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:00 pm

The Unlikely Lavender Queen by Jeanne Ralston is an autobiography of a city-dweller adapting to rural life in Texas. Lavender crops feature in her life during difficult times. The author learns how to rely on the land eventually, but the acclimatization to country-life is a long process. There is a passage describing what symptoms of post-partum depression were endured, so the insight in how a person is affected by the condition was valuable.

Title is a pageturner for 3 to 4 chapters at a session. I learned about lavender farming and the ideal kind of soil conditions. My lavender seeds have yet to show up in floral form from this spring's planting!
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:23 pm

Everyday Heaven by Donna Williams continued to support my appreciation for Ms. Williams' insight on life as an autistic adult. Aside from her personal struggles, the author was able to note therapies or medical treatments that provide a better state of being for her and even some of her clients.

Recommended read by an author who tells "the worlders" how she sees them versus herself.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby harmony on Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:27 pm

Books have not been on my itinerary lately, as work has taken much energy to see a project move forward.

How about reviews of paperback fiction for a change of pace?

No Reservations
Come on in, we are always open
harmony

Postby fishandchips on Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:01 pm

I will post reviews of two books that I will read in a week. Mind you, I enjoy reading other members' posts of books that they read (enjoyed or not, and why). :roll:
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby Speak-Ez on Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:44 pm

Would y'all like to hear my review of the new bestseller titled "Why Speak-Ez is the Greatest Admin on the Net"?

It is a great book and all true.

Did I write "great"?

Change that to greatest!

I'll bet they don't want to hear any more of my reviews, do they?

Speak-Ez slowly fades away >>>>

________Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something.________
Speak-Ez
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:26 pm

Is there a chance you'd review Alan Greenspan's The Age of Turbulence? I just found out he wrote a book after he left the Federal Reserve.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby fishandchips on Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:08 pm

83 pages into The Girl From Foreign-the author visits India to learn about her maternal grandmother's Jewish heritage. The author herself had a Christian father and Muslim mother. The visit to India will develop into material for a documentary.

Have not started the second book yet.
fishandchips

Postby fishandchips on Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:56 pm

The Girl From Foreign by Sadia Shephard is a pageturner. I found tears for the passages of when the author's grandmother was approaching death. The author is doing a promotional tour for the book in the U.S. at this time.

The latter half of the book really brought out the grandmother's story and her wish to have stayed in her Bombay residence, with her own household and not joined in a multiple-family dwelling. It was like seeing the person in words declare that she sacrificed too much for others and lost something important to her.

For the author, she realized that she was seeing her grandmother's stories from a different viewpoint as an adult, rather than as a child. Recommended reading for that insight development. Also, the descriptive passages created a sense of travelling in India with the author.
fishandchips

Postby fishandchips on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:10 pm

Book two-Soldiers Made Me Look Good by Lewis MacKenzie (yes, the retired General)-has been about half-read from the midway point. So far, the author has points about leadership that are forthright and he emphasizes communication as critical with all ranks. He made an observation that one week after he took over a command, no one had disagreed with him. He called a meeting and said he was willing to hear someone disagree with him as long as the individual was not disagreeable. He mentioned that some of his ideas may have been already tried and failed and getting that feedback would help him to make better decisions.
fishandchips

Next

Return to Entertainment