Books-pageturners or doorstoppers?

Music, Movies, TV, Humor, Anime, Books

Re: Books-pageturners or doorstoppers?

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:17 am

The Japanese tv series about the translator of the Anne of Green Gables book series will begin in March! Oh, it's being done as a drama series of the translator's life-thought it was more of a documentary.
http://asianwiki.com/Hanako_and_Anne

French Women Don't Get Facelifts is my current book that is partially read. The author emphasizes the importance of attitude and being comfortable in one own's skin as key factors in enjoying life after forty. Followed by healthy eating, proper skin care, attention to wearing things that fit well for lifestyle, exercise, and taking interest in many things---
The title is a reference to the prevailing French woman's attitude that facelifts are not the first thing to consider-there are four countries in which cosmetic surgery are very popular and France is not in that group of four.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:06 pm

I have Jamie Oliver's latest cookbook, Save With Jamie: Shop Smart, Cook Clever, Waste Less with me today. And a previous book of his, Jamie's 15 Minute Meals, will be in my hands in a few days.

Jamie Oliver wants everyone to feel comfortable making meals from scratch or at home-the first title is to inspire people to make the most of their grocery shopping and cooking so that meals will be had, you will know what's in them, and you'll get confident in your ability to budget for food and to cook it too. He covers what you'll need in cooking equipment, what should be in your pantry, freezer and fridge. Of course there are recipes with suitably large closeups of the dishes so you have an idea what the outcomes should look like. Desserts are included at the end of the book. I'd like to move beyond pantry surprise (usually cooked short pasta with whatever I can add to the drained pasta for flavour or as a sauce) and anticipate a meal, not just know it can be cooked in X minutes and I can eat. Yes, lingering over a meal would be more of a French way of enjoying food. Too many North Americans seem to have a race in progress when dining-relaxing is only for weekend or free time gatherings.

When I get the other book, I'm going to find that golden parmesan rosemary chicken recipe from the CBS Dream Team program and make the dish without the cheese. I like dried rosemary as it gives zing to flatbread, lentil stews and cooked chicken. Plus I like the idea of 15 minute meals and I HAVE noticed that most of the ingredients are measured or left ready as Jamie counts down 15 minutes while he prepares a dish with a side or not and plates it up when the time is almost up.

I'll add that Sobey's Canada involved Jamie Oliver last fall for its campaign to support the slogan Better Food for All in television commercials, special inserts in the grocery flyers on a featured item and recipes using the item, plus a stamp collecting program to get 1/2 off a selection of Jamie Oliver tableware made for Canada (I checked and it's not the stuff found on Jamie's UK website). As I regularly read flyers and occasionally visit Sobey's, my awareness exists of their joint effort to get people cooking and interested in food.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:24 pm

Clever title for a non-fiction book: D*****d If She Does, D****d If She Doesn't: Rethinking the Rules of the Game That Keep Women from Succeeding in Business by Lynn Cronin & Howard Fine. Saw this title in the business books section and thought it might be worthwhile to read it!
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:55 pm

The book in the post above is still on my reading list but I read Womenomics and it basically mentions: women influence most buying purchases in the consumer market and secondly, some workplaces are recognizing that keeping brain talent involves flexibility in working locations/times/days when women want work/life balance. Even men in those workplaces are benefitting from the flexibility.

What the book comes down to is women recognizing their business work to employers, knowing how and when they work, presenting their flexible work plan as a case for how it keeps business going while providing the time/conditions to permit women to work yet have time for other life matters.

Today, I see that Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is recommitting to womenomics but seeing his comments about nursery school lists and wanting more female executives on company boards is not it at all. He needs to address the mindset still setting workplace rules about hours/facetime in companies and providing flexible working arrangements. Why should women give up income in order to accommodate looking after family members? Why should men not be able to leave work at a decent hour to do the same? Or get flexible working situations? That is where the Japanese PM can exert his office weight. In fact, how is the Abe government providing flexible working arrangements for government staff and officials?

Christine Lagarde, managing director of the International Monetary Fund gets the concept:
She also noted that many corporate sectors have yet to promote women.

“Business must become more welcoming to women. One of your services is to make the working environment more flexible. One option is to actually make sure that the employment environment is attractive to women,” Lagarde said.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2014/09/12/national/abe-recommits-to-womenomics/
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:39 am

Enjoying some issues of National Geographic Traveler magazine and the letters/comments to the editor. The magazines have stunning colour photos and articles about trips/explorations in various areas of the world. The August/September 2014 issue mentions a coastal drive down Portugal to it's most southernly tip. The two-page photo of a massive sculpture of explorers near a waterfront is stunning-two scrolls show chiselled lettering! I am noticing that some readers are keen advocates of voluntourism, travelling to do good in the communities they visit. I have not explored the Independent Travel blog connected to the magazine but I will look for it.

One issue of the magazine made mention of an editor's book, How to be the World's Smartest Traveler. I found an e-book version through the library so that title will be coming up for a review of tips gleaned. The book was noted alongside an article about loyalty travel programs, where rewards or miles may diminish while costs for perks go up. The main idea-pay more to get the perks you want as that is where the airlines make money.

Last night, I found myself turning the pages through the slim book, The Art of Sleeping Alone by French author, Sophie Fontanel. She decided to abstain from sex for an extended period of time when she began to notice her body was shutting down during intimate encounters. She also discovered how she was 1) viewed as an outlier in her social circle and 2) considered a go-to person for her peers to confess things of intimate importance.
The book is an English translation by Linda Coverdale of the author's original work.

More book reviews are coming up as I get through them. Back to enjoying more travel articles!
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Helen Mirren: In the Frame-My Life in Words and Pictures provides insight into what early years in theatre were like for her and how she even got in that field to start with.

There are some wonderful family and friendship stories accompanying the photos in the book. Childhood had its happiness despite lack of money. It's interesting to see Ms. Mirren's ration book.

Of interest is her European family background. Her surname sounds Scottish but her real one is Russian.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:49 pm

Chapters Bookstore was busy with shoppers perusing titles, electronics and gifts tonight-it's one of several stores with extended holiday shopping hours. Surprisingly, the Starbucks coffee shop was relatively quiet with some patrons sipping beverages while using the wi-fi connection for their computers. I recall how over a decade ago, that coffee shop was packed until about 9pm as people gathered before movies or to visit with friends before doing their shopping.

Sewing books-a good range of basic guidebooks, some newer titles (Burda Style Modern Wardrobe, $34) plus a copy of The Liberty Book of Sewing, $35 on the shelves and specific project books such as ones for making potholders. Threads magazine has a new comprehensive book on sewing for the keen sewists. In the Fashion section, there were books for men's style, in the size of a good travel book with colour photos.

Gift ideas-stationery with Put a Tie On theme and bowtie motif or "hello" in gold script on a polka dot background in various formats: shopping lists, note cards, stickers; knitted items such as sparkly Christmas coloured work socks or softly hued infinity scarves; scented hand wash, candles and lotions by Thyme brand, and little impulse items like a mini hottie hand warmer in with a cover or tiny music box. There are splendid journals, planners, albums and some art supplies plus a good assortment of gift cards and wrapping paper or gift bags for presents. I was pleased that the big screen TV that used to play DVDs with the sound off was replaced by book stands with cookbooks.

Indigo Kids-the children's section has morphed into 2/3 toys and activity kits/musical instruments, with a smaller footprint for books; free kids' gift wrapping at the counter was available. There are Lego minifigures with kids' watches for Star Wars fans or various building sets. Perhaps a canister drum or acoustic guitar calls to the young children for entertainment and musical appreciation. On the teen level, there was a table of merchandise tied-in with the Disney movie Frozen.

Magazines-some holiday and Dec issues abound but there are magazines that are already into Feb/Mar issues. Vogue Patterns has a smashing orange swing jacket on the cover for Feb/Mar. What winter weather? I missed looking at the travel magazines-warm destination photos are usually a good remedy for chilly weather.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby keychain on Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:07 pm

A journal containing descriptions of Queen Victoria's court in "great detail" is to go on display to the public at her former palace.

English Heritage bought the journal of Lt Gen Somerset Calthorpe at auction on the Isle of Wight on Tuesday. After research is carried out by experts on the typed 250-page book it is to go on display at Osborne House, where the queen lived with her family.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hampshire-30815410

If you are interested in history, it could be a page turner, otherwise it may be a snooze book. Will they or won't they edit out the juicy parts, if there are any juicy parts?

Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous, wasn't there a TV on that subject at some time?
Waltzing Matilda, Waltzing Matilda
you'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me
he sang as he shoved that jumbuck in his tucker bag, 

keychain

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:07 pm

It's February first! Time to think about finances and yes, income tax season (individual tax returns are due on April 15 in the United States and on April 30 for Canada if individuals have income taxes payable).

Gail Vaz-Oxlade's book, It's Your Money is the title I have partially read through from the first chapter since last night. She says we have to recognize what kind of money types we are carrying around in our heads. The ability to make financial decisions depends on money skills and emotional competence. We may have skills but not emotional competence or have the emotional competence and not the skills. Also, what our role models said about money will be inside our heads-so we have to know what those messages are. While the book is directed to women, men can pick up the content to improve their own money management practices.

Money is a tool and does not have feelings. Once we get ourselves clarified, examine our recent expenses and habits, and set some priorities, we are in the position to make changes to move towards the financial goals we have identified.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:38 pm

I'm almost done reading It's Your Money. This book should be required reading for 14-16yr olds interested in money management before they make financial mistakes. Also for post-secondary students-there's a reason to delay buying the latest gadgets in order to have financial security planned.

An emergency fund is to cover six months' worth of expenses. How many of us can say we have such a fund?
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment