where Christopher Robin plays,
you will find the enchanted neighborhood
of Christopher's childhood days.

A donkey named Eeyore is his friend,
and Kanga and little Roo.
There's Rabbit and Piglet and there's Owl
but most of all Winnie the Pooh.

Winnie the Pooh, Winnie the Pooh
Tubby little cubby all stuffed with fluff.
He's Winnie the Pooh, Winnie the Pooh.
Willy nilly silly ole bear.

...Willy nilly silly ole bear.

The late AA Milne's beloved children's character Winnie the Pooh is set to return to bookshelves,
80 years on from his first literary appearance.

The Bear of Very Little Brain will make his comeback in Return to the Hundred Acre Wood, the first
authorized sequel to Milne's original 1920s stories.

The book - written by David Benedictus with illustrations by Mark Burgess - is out in the UK and US
on 5 October. The new book has the blessing of the A A Milne and E H Shepard Estates.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7821144.stm

The adventure continues. Hopefully this is the beginning of many more books to come.

The universe is big It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely
impossible things just happen and we call them miracles
dreamon

Re: Comeback for Pooh after 80 years

Postby smitty on Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:12 pm

Winnie the Pooh was what my Mother read to me while I went through the some things that put me to-bed for number of variable things (meaning I was sick) & was not the briar patch important to some of them?

Actually Winnie the Pooh along with the others were of such Importance to me & often wondered how many times my Mother read those to me, for all the characters were THAT important to me when I was that young.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:19 pm

A parent enrolled me in a book club and my hardcover picture books included a Winnie the Pooh book with three stories inside. While I liked looking at the illustrations, I admit to not enjoying the stories. I preferred Grannie's Fish Tales or Cunningham's Rooster.

Winnie and his friends have maintained a presence in the licensed merchandise market (bedding, dishes, sleepwear). The new book will appeal to fans of the original stories and those wanting to share a new book with new readers.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby dreamon on Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:30 pm

"The problem with that bear is it doesn't have a complete wardrobe," Coun. Ryszard Cichy is quoted as saying. "It is half naked which is wholly inappropriate for children. 1/8Poland's fictional bear 3/8 is dressed from head to toe, unlike Pooh, who is only dressed from the waist up." An unnamed councillor denounced poor Pooh as a "hermaphrodite" -- although the official may have meant the bear was androgynous.

"It doesn't wear underpants because it doesn't have a sex."

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/polish-town ... -1.2114036

Seriously, it's a cartoon people, someone needs to get a life. With all that is going on in the world, the town has nothing more important to worry about than a cartoon character, and that is sad.

Why would an adult go after Winnie the Pooh, the kids don't care and don't see his wardrobe as an issue because they know he is a cartoon. Maybe the councillor needs some kids around to ask what they think before he tries to ruin their childhood, but wanting to ban cartoons.

The universe is big It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely
impossible things just happen and we call them miracles
dreamon

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:24 am

Once I read the context of the situation, I learned the council did not want to use Pooh as a mascot for a park. In that regard, council is likely considering the public's concerns about appropriate attire. However, Pooh as a storybook character and toy remains popular. Here in North America, food chains have stickers on doors about "no shirt, no service". I keep wondering what will happen if someone walks in without underwear, skirt or pants. Public health and the media would be agitated.

I don't think council should have gone into guessing Pooh's orientation. Storybooks can go beyond reality and characters can have skills or abilities that would be hard in real life.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Return to Entertainment