Depression and suicide

Health

Depression and suicide

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:17 pm

The currency devaluations that occurred as the global economy shifted and contracted have affected international students--their ability to support themselves on money from home or jobs has them worried. Some students have indicated to others their desire to end their lives.

Australian officials are finding out that international student suicides may not all be reported as such, and that embassies are not keen to discuss such statistics.

More suicides uncovered among overseas students
Heath Gilmore and Chris Johnston
July 2, 2009
A GROWING pattern of suicides among international students in Australia has emerged as calls continue for better reporting systems for their deaths.

In some cases, the Herald has learned, the students who committed suicide in Australia had pre-existing issues, but some appeared to be due to problems encountered while in Australia.

The South Australian coroner is investigating the death of an Indian student who died in Adelaide on November 12 last year. Sources said police treated the death as a suicide. Indian media reported that his parents, from Vadapalani, Chennai, flew to South Australia after failing to get adequate information about his death by telephone. http://www.smh.com.au/national/more-suicides-uncovered-among-overseas-students-20090701-d59k.html
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Re: Depression and suicide

Postby smitty on Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:56 pm

Have to agree with you for the recession has hit a lot of people HARD. Seems that so many of us North Americans do not save up to purchase most things, but use a credit card or obtain a loan. Now that so many are loosing jobs, to cost of food & such going up MANY are in deep financial problems & the future ahead is rather ghastly in their mind.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:03 pm

Bullied boy's short life ends in suicide
Jul. 5, 2009 08:20 AM
Associated Press
CHICAGO - The bullying seemed inescapable.

His family and friends say it followed Iain Steele from junior high to high school - from hallways, where one tormentor shoved him into lockers, to cyberspace, where another posted a video on Facebook making fun of his taste for heavy metal music.

"At one point, (a bully) had told (Iain) he wished he would kill himself," said Matt Sikora, Iain's close friend.
Iain's parents know their son had other problems, but they believe the harassment contributed to a deepening depression that hospitalized the 15-year-old twice this year. On June 3, while his classmates were taking final exams, he went to the basement of his home and hanged himself with a belt. http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2009/07/05/20090705bullying.html

We're losing youth due to bullying. The bullies and their parents have to be accountable.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:32 pm

I realize that man's mental state was not mentioned in the article I am posting here, but the item is close enough to this thread's mental health matter to qualify.

First time that I have read of someone throwing their money out of the window before dealing with their mental state. Let's believe that some of the cash will be restored to the man, due to the police request to have it returned, and that the state health authorities can line up some healthcare for the man, with his input.

Man causes traffic jam when drivers stop to scoop cash tossed onto Los Angeles-area freeway
Mon Aug 17, 12:24 PM
By The Associated Press

GLENDORA, California - California authorities say a man caused a traffic jam when he threw money onto a Los Angeles-area freeway and people dashed into the lanes to grab the cash.

Highway Patrol Sgt. Kurt Stormes says the man tossed money from his car on Interstate 210 shortly before noon Sunday, the San Gabriel Valley Tribune reported. Stormes says about 10 people ran into traffic lanes to get it. Traffic jam cash
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby fishandchips on Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:28 pm

The story of how one American writer living in Japan reached out with the Internet to contact journalists about his soon-to-be death (suicide). The journalists had varying reactions upon reading the man's e-mail and the article tries to sift out reasons for the man's contact.
It seems he had prior contact with the newspaper, The Washington Post, in his young adulthood. In his senior years, he had lost expectations of idealism.
http://www.thestar.com/news/insight/2015/01/25/what-to-do-when-a-stranger-says-hes-going-to-kill-himself.html

Here is a plausible explanation connecting back to antiquity in the time of Egyptian Pharoahs as to why the writer sent his e-mail.

But Horn, who is in her 30s, acknowledged that she has been fortunate to have readers interested in her legacy. At 66, Williams did not.

Among recipients of Williams’ email, Horn and I are something of the outliers, not being Post reporters. But in his email to me, Williams referenced an opinion piece I wrote for the Post in 2013 about the nation’s response to the massacre at the Navy Yard.

When I asked Horn for her theory of how he found his way to her inbox, it wasn’t immediately clear to her. Then she recalled writing a piece for the Post that ran the same day as mine, about our society’s cultural impulse to catalogue every moment of our lives online. She had pondered to what end this all comes, under the headline “When we save every memory, we forget which ones are special.”

Horn wondered if we’re not far off from the Egyptian pharaohs who packed heavily for the afterlife to prove their worth. “What is it about data-dumping that we find so compelling and necessary?” Horn wrote. “Perhaps it is a fear of mortality.”

The article is a very long piece and is meant to be read through the viewpoints of the e-mail recipients while pointing out the questions created by the e-mail.
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:00 am

A man trying to prevent another male from committing suicide at a Hawaiian university dormitory ended up being the one who died in the end.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2015/08/17/man-trying-to-stop-a-suicide-falls-to-his-death-in-hawaii-police-say.html

The university has reached out to the other students at the dormitory for counselling after the incident.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:21 pm

A health topic that remains current online and in the media: depression and its effect on celebrities, as two known personalities died by suicide last week.
The list of warning factors for suicide reads, in part, like a catalogue of everyday modern ills: lagging self-esteem, depression, loss of relationships or economic security, insomnia.

"When you look at those lists," says Eric Beeson, core faculty member at Northwestern University's Counseling@Northwestern, "it almost seems like who's not a candidate for suicide?" And yet, in the wake of highly publicized deaths by suicide like that of fashion designer Kate Spade and television personality Anthony Bourdain, our scrutiny of the act centres on a need to quickly settle on a cause and, on some level, to distance ourselves from it.

Spade's longtime friend Elyce Arons told The New York Times that when the subject of celebrity suicides came up in their discussions about Spade's depression, her friend assured her, "'I would never do that. I would never do that. I would never do that.' And I believed her."

"At some point in everyone's life," says Beeson, "they have said they would never do that. But I believe we are all just a few life events away from considering it. So for me, we're all on that continuum."

https://www.thespec.com/living-story/8663970-looking-at-suicide-differently/
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Return to Health