Flu season and related topics

Health

Flu season and related topics

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:50 pm

December 2 and people are talking about this year's shots. Some municipalities had free flu shot clinics in Ontario and some doctors provided the same clinics to their patients.

I spotted this article about people leery of this year's shot and seeking alternatives.

Canadians turn to natural supplements instead of flu shots
December 2, 2010

Elizabeth Haggarty
TORONTO STAR

It’s that time of year again, when anyone coughing in the subway sparks a round of dirty looks. As Canadians get ready to fight the cold and flu season, more people are turning to vitamins and minerals, instead of flu shots, to banish a runny nose.

In fact, two thirds of us are taking natural supplements, while only 12 per cent opt for the jab, according to an Ipsos Reid poll.

Natural supplements are a $3.5 billion industry in Canada, with some natural health retailers reporting spikes of 25 per cent in supplement sales when the cold weather hits. http://www.healthzone.ca/health/newsfeatures/swineflu/article/900399--canadians-turn-to-natural-supplements-instead-of-flu-shots

I'd like to see Mayor Ford expedite his subway plans, so that there will be more subway room on the rails especially during cold and flu season.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Re: Flu season and related topics

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:09 pm

Bed rest is helped by taking Extra Strength Tylenol Flu Nighttime-at least for the first couple of hours, sinuses are suppressed and weepiness stops or is slowed down. But if you are upright/vertical, the tablet does not do too much after the first couple of hours as gravity works on the tissues and stuffy nose--tissues, anyone?

Sneezing away still and sipping diluted juice and soda to keep some fluids in me. I find soup tiresome after several days. I believe I have a head cold but did not hesitate to see if the Tylenol product would bring nighttime relief (I had taken one earlier in the day and again, it has some help at the start and then gravity takes over).
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:23 pm

Two friends of mine avoided the flu shot & they went down with a terrible cold. They must have been suffering for the past two months & often they answer my e=mail to say they still have this cold, though by now it is dramatic headaches & sneezing all the time.

I know as a small kid I suffered through running noses, sneezes & such. So always in the passenger side of my SUV is a full box of Kleenex & my pockets always full with the Kleenex. Right from the start I am sneezing to running nose & the answer is blow my nose.

Also a die-hard when it comes to cleaning my hands at home or you name it. The reason when at the hospital for 5 days with broken right hip I was a bit peeved-off that I would hobble to the washing basin to find an EMPTY container or the pull out papers. The same as at our gun range downstairs in the washing room to upstairs in the other washing room. Beside I had to show the caretake how easy it was to put in a new set of such paper-towels. See he or his wife do this the EASY WAY by putting them on top of the empty paper container so I have to correct it all the time. I hate people that are that lazy & do not realize how so much of the despensible paper towels end up on the floor due to any wind.

So day after day of hobbling to the wash basin to not find soap or the paper dispensier paper towels, but all around were things for doing up womens hair or what ever else.
smitty

Postby deja vu on Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:30 pm

It's that time of year again for those of you that get the Flu shot.

Once again I'm passing on it, I still don't like the idea that any part of the H1N1 is incorporated in the shot.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:42 am

Timely topic, this annual flu shot business. The World Health Organization's (WHO) news on the matter this year:

WHO's position on thiomersal in vaccines (explanation of use):
http://www.who.int/features/qa/77/en/index.html

Link to Influenza material on the WHO's site:
http://www.who.int/influenza/vaccines/en/index.html

Avian influenza cases have been reported in Egypt and Indonesia.

Do you want to know where influenza has been reported?
http://www.who.int/influenza/surveillance_monitoring/updates/en/index.html
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:57 pm

I spend so much of my retried years down in this basement room that is sort of my den for the PC, telephone----not that I use it much, the TV set & working on the financial end like my chequing account. Though also use another cooler room for reloading ammo, to also when cleaning, lube were needed.

In the HOT summer days I am cooled off a bit, but come colder winter days I can really feel the cold. For when on the PC I wear a jacket that gives me some warmth, which is better then a T-shirt & sweat shirt. Like right now I have a shower size towel draped over my knees for a bit of warmth.

I have spoken about my bed being flannel cotten sheets, a good wool blanket, plus a comforter. Toss in my strange liking for a sort of great-grandfather like almost flannel outfit throwen over my head. The above is why when going to bed withink minutes, with no tossing around, I will be off to sleep THANKFULLY.

Yes I have payed for the flu shot for many years & no back-fires, but know when going to bed I have to be prepared for sneezing, before I tuck under the warmth plus the use of kleenex.
smitty

Postby deja vu on Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:12 pm

Smitty, What about an electric fireplace? They are energy efficient and even the small ones can heat up to 400 square feet. When they are on sale the prices are really good and some can be found for under 100.00.

deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby smitty on Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:38 pm

deja vu My thanks on the type. I will start to ask around at the gun range as some live normal lives with wife & children so warmth is an important factor come winter time.

Also know a married couple that are very proud of theirs----so time to start asking questions.
smitty

Postby deja vu on Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:55 pm

Your welcome, they are easy to run, just plug in, no firewood to worry about. They come in that size and some larger more expensive ones look like a real fireplace complete with a mantle. They heat the same amount of space so I think the smaller less expensive ones is all one needs.

I know the Hardware stores carry them, and Sears does as well. Probably some other local outlets do as well, just shop around for the best deal.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:27 am

Put some spices into your winter soups and vegetable dishes to "warm" them up and keep your own self warm enough to ward off colds and other germs. Sprinkle some of the baking spices in your warm drinks for a flavour boost too.

Vitamin C is good for your health but ingesting too much can cause you to react (you feel unwell, skin breaks out in rash or redness). Pomegranate seeds beckon with their tart sweet goodness and clementines welcome you too. They seem much more appetizing then vitamin pills.

Try to eat meals regularly and have some vegetables as part of each meal when you can.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Next

Return to Health