Flu season and related topics

Health

Re: Flu season and related topics

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:41 pm

Winter colds-a mild one is upon me and its affecting one side of the face. But it may be more of a sinus cold. I was craving high calories on Sunday night and yesterday afternoon. My appetite has diminished a little and warm water seems like a good liquid to drink. Tea was fine last night but right now, the idea of tea is offputting; perhaps before bed, milky tea will be ideal.

Took my vitamin with breakfast so that will help me fight the cold's effects. A new box of clementines is needed to provide small bursts of citrus in one little fruit.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby deja vu on Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:10 pm

Canada is following the lead of several European countries and suspending distribution of flu vaccine made by the pharmaceutical firm Novartis.

The decision relates to the discovery by the company of tiny clumps of virus particles in some batches of flu vaccines made at the Novartis production facility in Italy. Health Canada, which announced the move, said Novartis has agreed to suspend distribution of its vaccines — sold in Canada as Fluad and Agriflu — while the department investigates the situation.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/arti ... -in-europe

There was nothing on the TV news about it today or yesterday. Glad I don't get one, and hopefully those that did wont have any problems from those "tiny clumps of virus particles."
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby smitty on Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:35 am

It was only a week of few days ago when I payed for my flu shot only the TV news is that it is very short lived.

Also word is out that for us old 'uns I can go down with other to have a flu shot. If you can stand someone sniffling next to you, but even word of a free flue shot for us older ones has sort of died off from the news.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:02 pm

I do not know if the public in Canada even knows what flu vaccine they get at their local clinics or pharmacy or doctor's office. However, one type of flu vaccine is supposed to be stopped from distribution use for now, as clumping of the virus particles has been detected. Canada uses more than one kind of flu vaccine; it is the Novartis brand that is on hold due the situation noticed at its Italian production facility.

http://www.thespec.com/news/canada/article/825460--canada-suspends-distribution-of-novartis-flu-vaccine

Let's see Health Canada's notice on the matter:
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ahc-asc/media/advisories-avis/_2012/2012_162-eng.php
Information Update
2012-162
October 26, 2012
For immediate release

OTTAWA - Health Canada would like to provide further information to Canadians about its assessment of the voluntary suspension of use in Europe of the seasonal flu vaccines Agriflu and Fluad.

Agriflu and Fluad are two of the seasonal flu vaccines produced by Novartis that have been pulled from use in several European countries pending further examination of white floating material discovered clumping in the vaccines.

Health Canada rigorously reviewed Agriflu and Fluad for safety and effectiveness before it was authorized for use in Canada

Clumping of the kind noted in Europe is common in vaccines. Health Canada has previously seen such particles before in other vaccines and has observed no impact on their safety or effectiveness. The Public Health Agency of Canada monitors for adverse events following immunization. To date it has received no reports of serious or unexpected adverse events related to these vaccines.

As a precautionary step, Health Canada asked Novartis to suspend distribution of the vaccines in Canada until a full review of the situation is completed. Novartis has agreed. The Public Health Agency of Canada is also recommending that health care professionals in possession of these vaccines refrain from using them until the review is complete.

The Public Health Agency of Canada and Health Canada will continue to work with the company to monitor the safety and effectiveness of the vaccine used here in Canada. Should a safety concern be identified, immediate and appropriate action will be taken.

80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:51 pm

Smitty wrote:Two friends of mine avoided the flu shot & they went down with a terrible cold. They must have been suffering for the past two months & often they answer my e=mail to say they still have this cold, though by now it is dramatic headaches & sneezing all the time.

I know as a small kid I suffered through running noses, sneezes & such. So always in the passenger side of my SUV is a full box of Kleenex & my pockets always full with the Kleenex. Right from the start I am sneezing to running nose & the answer is blow my nose.

Also a die-hard when it comes to cleaning my hands at home or you name it. The reason when at the hospital for 5 days with broken right hip I was a bit peeved-off that I would hobble to the washing basin to find an EMPTY container or the pull out papers. The same as at our gun range downstairs in the washing room to upstairs in the other washing room. Beside I had to show the caretake how easy it was to put in a new set of such paper-towels. See he or his wife do this the EASY WAY by putting them on top of the empty paper container so I have to correct it all the time. I hate people that are that lazy & do not realize how so much of the despensible paper towels end up on the floor due to any wind.

So day after day of hobbling to the wash basin to not find soap or the paper dispensier paper towels, but all around were things for doing up womens hair or what ever else.

This above comes through bering in the Penticton Hospital a while back.
smitty

Postby smitty on Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:56 pm

Not doing to well CielOnTop for my Lennoa furnace failed in just a matter of a day. A friend that likes to fiddle around actually go the pilot light to go on as it should along with the other two burners.

Had the temp down super low, last evening, window a bit open for some clean air. Woke up to find the Lennox had failed AGAIN.

I have some ENSURE THAT ONCE IN A WHILE can be used for some meals I have missed. Thing is the one I open came out like it was all bunged up. So in the fridge again just to correct the error, tried two of them & both simply dannot be shaked?????

Is the next answer to have said two upstairs, but then there is no heat. Even tried a firm to be here to make the correction, but they must be busy for no one answer the phone time & time again.

Well I do have normal power for electricity & that I can make up a decent soup.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:39 pm

I'd use your age to advantage if you have to make a follow up call to the firm. Better yet, see if the local gas utility would send a repairperson to have a look at the furnace to see if there's a part failure or potential repair issue.

Ensure might do in a pinch for meals like when one can't take solids, but some hot soup sure does taste better in a cold home!

I have my eye on a Napoleon gas furnace model that is 1/2 the size of the old furnace still keeping us somewhat warm. However, the price of said unit before taxes is about $5000. That's a lot of savings to have on hand plus taxes, delivery, and installation to tack on.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:02 pm

http://www.thespec.com/news/canada/article/828148--health-canada-says-novartis-flu-shots-now-safe-to-use
The decision follows a risk assessment conducted by Health Canada, using information gathered from European regulatory agencies and the company.

“None of the information reviewed indicated a safety issue,” Health Canada said in the statement.

A Novartis senior executive said the company held back the affected lot and looked for but didn’t find the problem in other batches made at the Italian facility. The Novartis vaccine that Canada buys is made at the Siena plant.

Normally the viral proteins in flu vaccine are in a suspension and are not visible to the naked eye. But from time to time they fall out of suspension and can be seen.

From Health Canada's website:
Voluntary Suspension of Flu Vaccines (Agriflu and Fluad) Lifted

Information Update
2012-164
October 31, 2012
For immediate release

OTTAWA - Health Canada has completed its review of safety information for Agriflu and Fluad and is releasing the two seasonal flu vaccines for immediate use. As a precautionary step, the products were temporarily pulled from distribution last week by the manufacturer and held from use in flu vaccination clinics at the request of Health Canada while it investigated any possible concerns.

Health Canada looked at the results of its own testing, conducted a health risk assessment, and reviewed information from its European partners and data submitted by Novartis in making its decision. None of the information reviewed indicated a safety issue.

The Public Health Agency of Canada is now advising health care professionals in possession of these vaccines that they can start using them once again. As such, those administering the vaccines are reminded to follow existing labelling directions as well as allowing the vaccine to come to room temperature before use. The products should also be shaken and checked for any white floating material before they are injected. Such material is not uncommon in vaccines and does not pose a risk to health.
http://hc-sc.gc.ca/ahc-asc/media/advisories-avis/_2012/2012_164-eng.php
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:42 am

CielOnTap, out electrical powered normal stove broke down some 10 or more times.

I now have a small portable Black & Decker in a heardwerer office & have used it for past 10 yrs. True it does not have hot plates, as the old one does & I use them, & not the room to have a chicken or turkey. Well guess a small chicken can be used, but not me over the years. Just that something is frozen to whee I should have the internal oven part at 160 for 40 minutes this does the job.

Know if it ever broke down I would buy a repeat & probably look around for one hot plate that can do its job. Must admit i like soup & that is controlled & done by using a hot plate.

Which reminds me of some yrs ago I was headed to the survey shop on my m/c & travelling to & from this was done in a number of gullies. Oh I could have used a old beat up road, but the gullies along with the rocks gave me more practice for Observed Trials competition.

So I come out of this high point of a gully to be rerun to the roaded mentioned to see a VW travel van about to have a breakfast from a burner one could obtain ONLY to land down on the start of the b/fast. Rather then tell them a lot of hunters to people wanting to get back into the mountain used this very road. I simple told them they should not be camping on this old road. I knew they had a few eggs for in washing off my bike once I had made it home I did have to wash off the eggs & bacon that were being cooked due to the engine.

After that incident I made it higher up to a trail & then a left turn-----knowing I would not run into some fool with a car or you name it as this trail, to narrow.

This was an amazing Observed Trials rider, I found out he road his Observed Trials bike to work &^home again. True I was not up to his standard, but coppied this to & from work, of his, for I often ran into some parts that wee next to a section as used in Observed Trials------in both cases we did not ride on normal roads now we encountered other vehicles except the above & I wrote Sammy Miller about this one. I am sure he had a laugh or two.

Oh yes I almost forgot that we had ANOTHER saw mill burn down yesterday. Fortunately no one working in it. Fact is this saw mill has been closed down for some months & they have been thinking of upgrading it to new form.
smitty

Postby deja vu on Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:03 am

>
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/11/14 ... 33509.html

If you need an excuse for not getting a flu shot, the BC nurses union just gave Canada one that will have you shaking your head.

They don't want to be mandated into taking the shot because "it hasn't been proven to be effective". Which brings the BIG question - why are the Health Departments encouraging people to get the shot when the Nurses Unions are saying it doesn't work?

Instead of spending millions on buying the shots, why not just throw it back into the Health system. Why spend money on a product when the Nurses say there is not enough scientific data to prove it works?
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Health